Bosch warranties may exclude appliance transport costs or service agent travel costs

Bosch’s Product Warranty says that it will bear warranty expenses, “excluding the cost of transport of the appliance for service or the service agent’s traveling costs to and from your home if you live outside the service area of the company or one of its service agents.”
I can find nothing on Bosch’s website about the service areas of the company or of its service agents.
When the electrician installed my Bosch oven, he said that the fan needed replacing.
Even though Bosch has several retail agents in Canberra, it has told me that my home in Canberra is outside its service areas.

4 Likes

That’s interesting.

Try these people for advice.
https://maynerandcochran.com.au/bosch_repairs_canberra/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8SsBhC7ARIsALIkVT1ItoR6NDWxzF1paRf42NvQC4T0GC4e9maaQCTez5YiOL13Cy1qvMwaAhE_EALw_wcB

The Bosch warranty is inconsistent with the Australian Consumer Law, namely:

Even if you are outside a ‘service area’ Bosch and/or the retailer is responsible for shipping costs/service agent’s travel expenses where repairs are carried out under the warranty/consumer guarantee. I would be raising the above with Bosch.

6 Likes

Thanks for pointing me to Mayner and Cochran.
When I tried to book a warranty call, their website told me, “All Bosch Warranty repairs must be booked through Bosch Customer Care. Please close this form and call Bosch Customer care” !

2 Likes

Thank you. I will definitely raise the ACCC advice with the retailer and with Bosch.

5 Likes

It might be best to contact the retailer you bought the oven from as they will be local and will also be able to arrange the repair/fan replacement.

4 Likes

Ok. The runaround.

The warranty repair has to be initiated by Bosch, but their service contact people claim they don’t have a service center in your area. Clearly they do, according to the service centre, who claim they are authorised repairers. But Bosch may not see it that way.

If you bought the unit from a retailer, then that’s who you complain to. They sold you a faulty unit, according to the installer. Who may be right, or may not be. Could be telling you a tale.

But the retailer is your first contact. Can you detect an actual fault?

4 Likes

The fault is a noisy fan in the fan-forced oven, which indicates faulty fan bearings. The installer identified the fault as soon as the oven was switched on.

6 Likes

Now the next question is, did the retailer arrange for the install? If so then it is all up to them to deal with the issue.

Bearings maybe. But also something bent that could cause fan blades to rub against something. And that could be a bad install, rather than a manufacturing fault.

1 Like

The retailer recommended the installer. Given that the fan is an internal part of the oven, the evidence indicates that the fan problem is a manufacturing issue rather than an installation issue.

1 Like

The fan blades in a fan-forced oven are inside the insulated case behind at least two layers of steel. The installer would have to be clumsy with a fork lift or a crow bar wielded from a height to bend them and the damage would be apparent.

3 Likes

Well installers are capable of causing damage. Been there a few times.

But the point is moot, since the retailer is responsible for providing the oven, delivering it, and installing it since they arranged all of that.

1 Like