In case you missed it, some of the biggest reforms to PHI were announced last week. More information is available here.
Some of the key reforms include:
- Discounting for young people (a 2% discount for people 18-29, up to 10%, which they hold until they’re 40)
- Policies with higher maximum excesses
- Making policy switching easier with a “basic, bronze, silver and gold” system to help people understand their coverage
- Cheaper prices for prostheses
- Improved mental health access through the private system for those with insurance
- No more funding for unproven natural therapies
There’s still no plans to drop junk insurance, though we’re hopeful our campaign may have an impact on the Minister. The Minister has created a committee, so we’ll see where it goes.
Keen to hear what people on this forum think. Do you think the reforms go far enough? Do you think they’ll make a difference?