Bidets

However we should acknowledge sometimes water is not a commodity.

5 Likes

Probably. Most of them have it if you can master the controls.

4 Likes

That image reminds me of the scam that all the upmarket hotels In Australia participate in with signs in the bathroom with words to the effect of.

“Due to water shortages being experienced in XXXX, we are striving to conserve water. If you wish to reuse your towel, please hang it up or if you do not want to reuse it, thrown it on the floor.”

What they really mean to say is.

“To help us maximise our profits by reducing laundry costs, we will try to influence you to reuse your towel or to make you feel guilty if you do not”.

3 Likes

Just remembered I’ve got a photo of one, the dry off doesn’t seem to be there?

2 Likes

A much broader discussion, that reminds me of how hard it is on the other side of the great divide at present. Although the notion of building more storage for those on the wetter side is also contentious, due to increasing consumption patterns, and the impacts of taking more from the environment. There would seem to be much less to go around.

We can relate to the 1990’s Qld drought in Central Qld. Not quite a dust bowl though, but zero feed for the stock.

3 Likes

Looks like an older more basic model :wink:

3 Likes

I made the presumption when I was looking for a bidet - but found that the models recommended by retailers in my state did NOT meet “all local regulations”
It is not illegal to sell a bidet that doesn’t meet regulations, but it is illegal to install such a bidet (connection to water supply requiring “air gap” and serious back flow prevention technology).

7 Likes

Two of the most personally damaging words for consumers are presumed and assumed. Never do either if in any doubt.

7 Likes

Dad always used to say to me “Never assume anything, as it makes an ass out of you and me
”

Ass u me

Cheers Nat :wink:

3 Likes

Did this test ever get done? Bidet are big ticket items and we need Choice’s testing to help us out.
Thanks
Grabt

6 Likes

A bit of how-to from Quora.

4 Likes

I have owned an electric bidet toilet seat for six years now and find it difficult to live without whenever we are away from home. It was quite expensive but has proven to be a trouble free appliance. The company I bought it from provide excellent service and backup support.
Partly due to the recent Covid pandemic toilet paper issue, I have recently purchased and installed a second bidet toilet seat. It has a very elegant and discreet design, has all the features of my original bidet seat, with the addition that it glows at night (night light) & all functions can be controlled/adjusted using your smart phone - or alternatively the simple discreet buttons on the side of the seat. It cost less than one third the price of the original!
There are a lot of different makes, models, features etc and a consumer really has no idea how to sort the wheat from the chaff without having first hand experience.
I strongly support this request.
I have installed both mine myself. It may be beyond the ability of many to diy but I think each should include a diy evaluation. If a plumber (& possibly an electrician) is required, the additional cost will be significant. Another issue that should be included is availability of replacement parts - should something break. I recently replaced the seat on my first one which I managed to crack. Instead of throwing away an expensive appliance I was able to purchase and replace the damaged seat for a fraction of the cost of a new one. It is now as good as new!
There are many other issues to be considered but I thought these points worth sharing.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Nicholsonmike. Your comment sent me searching:

I didn’t even know portable bidets existed.

Would you care to share your supplier(s) and prices?

5 Likes

Coway BA 13B $1360 Purchased 2014 from thebidetshop.com.au
Xiaomo Whale Spout Smart Toilet Seat Pro Mobile App Australia $376 Purchased 12 Mar 2020 eBay.

I am not convinced the Portable Bidets would be satisfactory.

4 Likes

There are also links in the early posts to this topic with details of other Aussie retailers, online and physical stores.

The portable options might be an interesting conversation piece in the travel luggage when presenting for any customs inspection. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

While we haven’t been able to test specific bidets yet, here is some advice on the pros and cons of bidets:

6 Likes

Associated with this is testing a purpose made, Hand held spray, that is used on the existing toilet, and easily plumbed into the existing water source. Don’t know how effective they are, but should be part of the same test.

1 Like

We purchased a bidet from The Bidet Shop about 3 years ago as I mentioned in a recent post. Since then we had a hinge break on the bottom seat. We contacted The Bidet Shop who sent the part out plus a video on line as to how to repair this. The bidet was out of warranty so we had to pay for the part but they were really good with their help and and we were able to fix it (after much screaming and yelling at each other) and all works fine.

7 Likes

Hey hey, looking for a bidet. Anyone have any luck with a bidet spray - the type with a hose you mount on a little bracket on the wall. Also known as nappy spray on modern cloth nappy sites. Seen hardly any reviews and some consumers complained of some not being able to handle the water pressure, leaks and having to wrangle an outta control hose that won’t straighten up. Looking to shoot poo down the loo for cloth nappies. I’m in Perth. Also I’m not incredibly handy, plumber required?

Cheers brains trust

Bidet
Nappy spray
Cloth diapers
MCN
Modern cloth nappy
Toilet
Shaddaf
Bum gun

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @MelVVV ,

This older ‘request a test’ topic evolved into a discussion. There is a Choice guide already linked in a previous post. One member already suggested hand helds be included in a test, if there ever is one.

If anyone has experience I am sure those following the topic would be thankful to hear about it.

In general, yes because of requirements for back flow protection. Some relevant links

and all other states have similar regulations

2 Likes