Best TVs - review

Well, I’d still recommend VTV for iView and SBSonDemand. You don’t have to be a Vodafone user, btw, forgot to mention that before, and appleTV is just the box, Yes theres a subscription service but you dont have to subscribe to it. I use my FetchTV box for FTA, because the tuner is better than the one n my TV

It certainly looks like an attractive option for the burbs providing you have adequate internet services.
This seems to suggest you need internet (NBN) for VTV (Vodafone TV, not Vietnam’s national broadcaster or Virgin TV UK).

If all you really want is SBS and ABC and do not have reliable FTA service.
A reliable internet service and basic internet device is all that is required to serve content to the TV.

In the bush finding reliable internet can be the real challenge, no matter how good the streaming device or TV. We’re lucky we still have working copper and ADSL2+ at 12 Mbps. Or 4G on the roof. Although at a premium cost to joining the NBN! When all FTA TV is finally turned off we will still have an option.

1 Like

I will have to back off from the recommendation. I read in whingepool that the VTV we all bought a couple of years ago is not available anymore and no sign of whether it will be, again. Those trying to order it have been unable to.

Other than that it would have to be a Xiaomi MiBox which is apparently pretty decent. Ebay fir that, though.

I hear ya about ADSL, i would have been content to stay on that, I was streaming netflix and iview well enough. Would not go back to it, but no phone if the nbn goes down ( which is why i dont have a “landline” anymore)

1 Like

2021 TV Review link to make it easier to locate

The review does not state which OS the ‘smart’ in Smart TVs is based on, e.g. Android, Google or proprietry. It is an important buying decision for me as from experience the support for proprietry systems ceases after just a few years, with some functions disapperaring or becoming unreliable - programmed obsolescence!
I also could not find which external streaming interface is built in (if any), e.g. IOS or Android friendly or both.
Disappointing!

Welcome back @drquark

I have moved your post into the TV review topic. Thank you for your input and I hope that one of the CHOICE staff may be able to respond to the issues you have raised.

Attn: @ChrisBarnes @BrendanMays

If you scan this topic and the related ones about Smart TVs and their apps you might reconsider the importance, yet it would be informative content. The bottom line is regardless of TVOS the apps will have finite service times because of the hardware platforms becoming insufficient, standards evolving, licensing issues, and so on. I have Android TVs and accept it is probably a false sense of security that will play out in maybe 5 years (or less).

1 Like

Thanks @grahroll. TVs aren’t my area of expertise - perhaps @ScottOKeefe or @DenisGallagher can assist here.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is much more that I can add. There really is not any way in which you can ‘future-proof’ a TV to be compatible with every content provider’s delivery mechanism, including their DRM provisions, and the changes that they might apply at some future time. I have commented before that some of the obsolescence in a TV is due to software that is not maintained, and some is due to TV hardware no longer having the capability to handle newer implementations of DRM/security.

5 Likes

Regarding the operating system, we certainly do collect the OS name and version number for each TV during every test. I thought that the OS name was published in the review, but I can see that I was wrong.

I’ll discuss this with @DenisGallagher, and see if we can’t add a filter for OS.

7 Likes

Thank you Chris, thank you for your reply it is appreciated. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Scott :+1:

1 Like

It is an important buying decision for me too - because it tells me which company will be putting me under surveillance. From that perspective, I prefer to avoid Google.

I have a well a well lit louge room with large window and blinds do not shut enough light out during the day so I can watch tv without the screen being effected by light. What tv is suitable for this situation?

4 Likes

Welcome @Pat2

I have moved your post into this existing topic on reviews of TVs. Thank you for your post.

With high light levels in the room it will be difficult to get clear picture quality. Quality of viewing will also be affected by where the TV is placed in that room eg reflection off the screen. Perhaps the better answer would be to get better blocking of the light entering through the window/windows eg lined curtains that can be opened when light is not an issue or you aren’t watching the TV. The other outcome of better light blocking will be that the heat generated by the strong light should be diminished.

In general a good contrast ratio helps to improve your perception of the image quality. Once you have good light blocking then I’m sure there will be a plethora of TVs that meet your viewing requirements.

There may be other recommendations from other users of the site that may offer help in your quest. Again, thank you for your post.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @Pat2

There are also TVs which have automatic contrast/brightness adjustment based in ambient light levels. It may be worth exploring one of these otherwise you might not be able to find a manual setting which suits both day (bright) and night (dark) conditions.

Another option is explore installing block out curtains over windows/doors adjacent to the TV. We have such and find them effective.

5 Likes

I would be wary of TVs that have an anti-glare film on the screen.
From my reading of reviews over the years, at best they may help a bit, but at worst if accidentaly removed can wreck the TV screen.

2 Likes

Not objective and a ‘click bait’ style site but it might be worth looking at the TVs indicated.

Also, most TVs have high gloss screens because it makes for a better picture in most aspects but if you see one with a matte or semi-gloss screen have a good look as it might work for you.

2 Likes

I concur that the solution is to control the light.

Have you considered putting some tinted film on the windows? You can get different strength tints to block more or less light depending on your needs and preferences. If the windows get a lot of sunshine, as you seem to indicate, you would hardly notice the film when looking outward, but it may well make TV viewing much more enjoyable.

Could you rearrange the layout of the room so the TV is in a darker part of the room? You could always get extensions for the power and the coax cables if needed…

Another option is to block the sunlight from hitting the TV screen with a plant, furniture, or a light weight movable room privacy screen.

1 Like

Your problem intrigued me - so I googled. Lots of results: this site has some suggestions (it is US based)

I hope you are able to access it easily : if not I can post the contents on this site for you.

4 Likes