🌐 Best internet provider

I did not use quote marks in my comment, at all. And, as I said, I had to leave internode for economic reasons.

MyRepublic, Changed direct debit date without consent, the connection went down 6 times last week and you cannot contact them on Sundays or after 8pm to report a problem, they have change my upload Bandwidth without consent and I can’t change my plan options online has to be done via a 1990s form. NO number to speak to anyone you have to use online chat which they talk to multiple people at any given time so the conversation takes forever… In one word Useless. If it works it’s fine but they have no customer service to speak of, so if you have a problem don’t bother.

Welcome to the community @Oshies,

In MyRepublic’s possible defence NBN outages can be by the NBN itself or MyRepublic, each being separate sets of kit. RSPs such as MyRepublic (or any other have zero control over NBN problems). Depending on your NBN multiple technology lotto win(lose) your NBN service can be more or less reliable regardless of your RSP.

I am in metro Melbourne with Aussiebroadband on HFC, and have about 74 hours (!) of downtime since 1/1/2020, almost all of it ‘courtesy’ of NBN. The top three downs were 39, 15, and 12 hours!

ABB has good on-shore technical staff support but at the end of the day all they or any RSP can do when NBN is down is report it to NBN and make tentative house call bookings for an NBN tech to visit (usually 2+ days hence), long after the NBN fixes their shonky system and automatically cancels the house call.

Not an ad for ABB but one can change plans on their web page/app, as well as run tests and lodge fault reports, although fault reports probably get queued for resolution during their office hours. Seems MyRepublic is way behind the curve in good practices.

If you have not noticed it yet, there is a topic on the community with links to the regular ACCC report on NBN.

I presume you have scoped out who you will move to?

2 Likes

If this is a Fixed Wireless (FW) connection you can blame the change on NBN Co as they have now made FW only a best effort and have cut back Bandwidth to share it with more users on the tower. MyRepublic are just passing on the NBN Co’s cuts.

When you say they cut it without consent do you mean they informed you of the change or has your upload just got slower? This is more likely an issue with the nbn™ infrastructure than MyRepublic either way. Also knowing how you are connected eg FW, FTTN, FTTP can allow us to give you a better idea of possible reasons. Downtimes on various nbn™ infrastructure can be bad as @PhilT points out with their connect via HFC, but FW, Satellite, FTTN etc can all suffer this malady. The least likely to fail is FTTP.

The time frames allowed for fault reporting are obviously not a great show.

3 Likes

Has anybody used Foxtel NBN? Vodafone NBN? We are with Telstra and considering switching. Both mobiles ate with Vodafone, and we have foxtel service at home. So planning either one of these as a cheaper alternative to Telstra.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @IreneMW

I moved your post to this topic as it includes links to Choice comments as well as to community posts on a number of other providers.

There are multiple other topics that may also be interesting, all found by using the community search function for ‘nbn’.

You might note Foxtel is Fox (Newscorp) and Tel(stra) so you might consider if they inherited support and operational ‘features’ and pricing strategies from their parents.

The ACCC publishes regular reports on the major RSPs and neither Foxtel nor Vodaphone appear because of their small NBN customer base. If Foxtel is interesting because of the entertainment packages many of the alternatives have similar bundled offers.

For the less technically inclined customer service should be a higher priority than speeds; for the more technically inclined support is pretty similar excepting how fast they respond to problems and questions. If the NBN is down the RSPs (Foxtel, Optus, Aussiebroadband, TPG, etc, etc) are powerless to do anything but lodge a fault complaint to NBN. When their own infrastructure fails most seem to be able to respond OK, although some much better than others. In my area the overwhelming problems are with NBN, not my RSP (Aussiebroadband).

FWIW costs are very similar because they are all based on the NBN charges they themselves pay + their own margins = your bill. Differences are minor although different providers offer differing bundles.

4 Likes

Thanks very much for your response. It gives some clarity to a non techno like myself.

5 Likes

The most recent ACCC report on the status of the NBN includes Vodaphone for many metrics. It can make one glassy eyed wading through this data, that is sometimes contradictory and could be meaningless in a practical sense, yet it does provide asome comparison between Vodaphone and other major RSPs.

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Measuring%20Broadband%20Australia%20-%20Report%2011%20-%20December%202020.pdf

Well I am with Kogan, have a few drop outs, do not think it is them, but something to do with my router. Been with them for around 18 months now, they are one of the cheapest, and offer great speed, They are reselling Vodafone.

I was on their 100/40 speed for a while, at a discount rate, but do not really need that speed so switched back to 50/20 as it would cost me more. There 50/20 is adequate

1 Like

Thanks so much for this info. I will read through it.

4 Likes

The latest Choice report reinforces that speed is not everything.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that Belong (Telstra brand) scores so much better than Telstra pretty much across the board, while the only area in which Telstra matches average NBN performance is in reliability. One has to wonder whether that is some form of placebo effect, given that Telstra customers seem to know they are paying more for the service and all of these scores are subjective.

4 Likes

Perhaps just like Boost Mobile is vastly superior than Telstra despite being a wholly owned subsidiary?

1 Like

That is not correct.

5 Likes

iPrimus is one of the top for customer satisfaction, and Dodo is the bottom, both Vocus brands and both fined reinforcing speed is not everything.

3 Likes

MyRepublic Worst Customer Service

I have waited 10 days for connection.
My service was disconnected. They said it was because I was behind in my bill. I had paid in advance when they changed my plan, due to me being over changed for almost 12 months by $10 a month.
I waited 8 days for someone to contact me back after several attempts of trying to talk to someone on there live chat to reconnect my service after I paid $89 bill.
They made me pay othe $69 in advance to reconnect my service and said my service would be back on immediately and that the $69 would be refunded immediately.
It’s 11 days since disconnection and still no internet or refund.
I have tried for 3 hours to speak to someone in the live chat and now they say another 2 working days. I’m still on hold to the compliance department and I’ve been on hold for an hour and a half.
I have had an account for over 2 years with my Republic, I will be going to another service provider now

5 Likes

Try Internode.

You can always get someone who is fluent in English/

2 Likes

I use Barefoot Telecom - similar pricing, fully Australian based, and very helpful.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Kmunro,

That kind of experience goes a long way to separating the best and worst.

I merged your post into this ‘Best’ topic as members looking for ‘Best’ also see some posts about ‘worst’, and posts and links here might assist you to decide which RSPs to short list.

2 Likes

I have only been with Aussie Broadband for around 3 months, I have never had any drop outs, where I used to get them with Kogan, but Kogan I was paying $15 less, and the evening peak speeds are just as good as Aussie, hitting just over 50 megabit on 50/20. Launtel a Launceston based one is also great, just a tad expensive, but reliable, and I had tested 250 megabit with them on a free trial. What speed one person can achieve will not be the same for the next person, as NBN is using so much different technologies. I am just one of the lucky ones I am fiber to the premises