🌐 Best internet provider

I am little more then 3 months with Aussie Broadband. For more then a month my desc top disconnects from the net within 3- 7 min. after switching it on. It is connected with wire. My laptop, connects with WIFI, fine. As I ask Aussie Br. they refused to have a close look at it and told me ot go to a workshop with my PC. After the worksop proofed the error isn’t in my computer, but in the modem, They said I must reset the modem and I have to spend some time to reorganice all my Familys computers. I spent some $ for the Workshop, spend lots off time on the Telefon and time to change wires and maaking around.Is that good customerservice, if they can’t provide a modem which does’t even last 3 month and organice such much troubles for me??

1 Like

That depends, was the modem faulty or did it just need some recabling and a reset to fix your connection? It is fairly common for modems to need an occasional reset and especially if a hardwired PC or the NBN itself has a problem - the latter can affect a particular port through no fault of anyone’s.

2 Likes

Thanks PhiT. I didn’t espected there should be as many problems with modem, since I never had that before. But I reconected the wire and repalced it more then once, before I called “customerservice”. I still have the problem, means I don’t know is it faulty or needs resetting. After talking on the phone the “I don’t now anymore-times” for an hour or so, the customer rep. told me ït seems we have to reset it, means we have to spend a bit time togheter to adjust the Computers after. But at that time, my wife called "lunch is ready"and I disconnecrted the chat. I bought as well a donlge, but it didn’t connect to WIFI, for a reason I don’t know. Today, in a short time, I 'll have a phone with my worksop, which cost me money, but he gets results, or at least he knows what he is doing!
!

2 Likes

It seems you might have had less than their best support agent. I also have AussieBB and the times I needed to call them were all excellent experiences, save for once. OTOH I am quite tech literate.

Any time a PC has troubles connecting to the net the first step is to reboot the PC, then reboot the router. If that does not re-establish service moving the cable to another port in the modem, and if that doesn’t work diagnostic trouble-shooting with the possibility the router (modem) or PC port is actually faulty. I had a wire that failed once, way back. That failure mode is very rare, but it happens - usually a marginal plug.

I have never tried, but knowing some agents work better with tech literate people, and others with the average person, try asking if you can speak with another agent as you are having difficulty understanding.

You will also find ringing AussieBB and working with an agent on the phone will result in a better, quicker experience most of the time - same with most chat’s versus phone support.

Please let us know how you go, when all gets sorted and what the problem was.

2 Likes

I admit, I am not computer tech literate. But: Before I called the Custoer support, I dis-and -re-connected wire, exchanged it to an other wire, disconnected the modem from power, waited 15sec. and reconnected, the same with the computer! And I told the “Customer service” that I did all that already, on the first phone!

2 Likes

It reads like you did all the right things, but 15 seconds is not always long enough for an electronic device to lose its internal power. Try 2 minutes and if that doesn’t work you could try connecting your laptop via the hardwire in lieu of the PC (if it has an ethernet port or an ethernet adapter) to absolutely rule your desktop in or out as a worry.

2 Likes

My laptop has no ethernet-wire connection, but I can organice something like that! It seems a good idea! should have had it by myself! ODOH: as my PC was at the workshop, he instllaed the newest Micro.10. after that i got different error meages form the troubleshooter. As I sent a copy of this newest error message to the workshop, he mailed me back: "it is definitely the modem!

2 Likes

Is the connection directly to the modem/router, do any other home computers directly connect to the modem/router. Does the cable from the computer connect through a socket on the wall and at the modem/router does another cable connect to a socket on the wall(other than the one connected to the external line). If it connects via a wall socket it may be the plug or wire in the wall.

In the modem/router there are administrative logs that can be read to perhaps see what is failing. However a reset will wipe the logs but a restart shouldn’t. If you have a spare modem/router it can be worth trying it to see if the same problem emerges, if you don’t have one perhaps a friend or a family member may have one for you to try.

2 Likes

Thanks for your interest graholl, The modem is connected to the wall. There is a second wire going from the modem to the wall, this wire goes to an Internet-Extender in an other part off the house. My desc top is the only computer wire- connected to the modem . I have actualy a second modem, but a never used one. If I connect this, will it connect to the computer, whithout the same trouble/effort as a reset?

2 Likes

It reads like a number of boxes. Can you move your PC so it directly plugs into your modem without the house wiring in-between to remove that wiring as a variable?

If you have that spare modem-router you should be able to substitute it for the questionable one from ABB. As for the complexity of doing that, what type of NBN do you have? HFC, FTTP, FTTC, FTTN or something else so you know how to connect and configure it. Some routers have built-in modems and others use an external cable modem.

BTW, unless your spare router is VDSL (not just ADSL) and if you have an NBN type that does not use a cable modem it will not work as a direct replacement/substitute.

3 Likes

There are several points that could be the issue. Your spare if used just as a router can be easily plugged in and used to test. To ensure that it is smooth you need to make the router have the same gateway address as the current one. To find the current address there are some easy steps to take. There are some easy guides on the net including pictures that will show you how. If not wanting to disrupt the rest of your household too much also ensure you add the wireless network to your spare router.

Feel free to take a picture of your current hardware setup and post it here and that way we can try to give a better outline of steps to take.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your effort grahroll. I will trie what you recommended. But can’t just now, since I am waiting for a call from my workshop, who will save an other problem by “Team Viewer”. But thanks, for all the information.

3 Likes

Two days ago Aussie Broadband called me and told me that they are sure it isn’t the fault in their system or modem Since I went back to the Computer Technician. He ran a few controll programs and told me the computer is OK, but I shall get rid of the VPN (Vanish) programm
 I expected the VPN “Vanish” has no influence to the network, as long as it is not on the screen, which means finish started.But as the Technician told me the second time about, I clicked on the program and stopped it ifrom starting automatically. Now I am the 3rd. time on the computer without any problem! Call me an absolute, useless beginner and I agree with you!

5 Likes

There is nothing ‘useless’ about anyone who works through a problem and resolves it or gets it resolved. The useless ones are those who know everything, do not ask anyone who can help, but keep whinging about the problem.

Well done, and thanks for closing the loop.

5 Likes

If it is a free version, these can throttle or limit speeds. They can also direct VPN through heavily congested servers with restricted bandwidths. This is done to encourage customers to move to a paid subscription.

VPN software can also slow down speeds to websites as they can be routed longer distances (distance marginally increases connection time which makes website interaction appear slower). They also create additional steps in the connection process (inc. encryption) which can marginally slow speeds. If one is using a lot of the computer/devices resources, the additional steps can have a greater effect as the computer/device struggles to handle all tasks being performed. There is also the risk they conflict with other programs/resources which can make things struggle even more.

If you still have the VPN program install, it is worth doing a Speed Test with and without the VPN operating to see how significant the difference is. If you do, you are more than welcome to share your results.

3 Likes

Thanks phb, I certainly don’t know how it does it, but my paid VPN disconnect’s me from the net! On the new started computer, approx. 3-5 min after I started the web browser, it wrote on all sites “can’t find the page”, or similar. The VPN hadn’t started, it wasn’t visibel on the screen. When I waited till the VPN was visibel on the screen, it couldn’t connect, but wrote “will reconect in 10 sec.” again and again. But since I stopped it from starting, I had no disconnecting anymore!?

2 Likes

It sounds like buggy VPN software or conflict with something else (browser extensions, drivers etc). If you no longer use the VPN, make sure you cancel the subscription.

2 Likes

That sounds like a lookup problem in resolving names used for Web pages (URLs) to actual IP addresses.
For all you know, the VPN program could have been sending off lookup requests to some obscure domain name server in Outer Mongolia, and timing out.
Shutting it down, your DNS lookup requests will be served by your Internet provider.

2 Likes

Thanks all you technicens. Sure I won’t find out what it realy was. What more I fhought is “strange”, it disconnected in the middle of a session on the net. And didn’t let me reconnect ever again!? But I am back to the net, and “happy”.

3 Likes

If you decide you want or need a VPN again Choice has published [member content]

and [open content]

For Windows users, sometimes when a VPN or any software becomes problematic, uninstalling it using a tool such as Revo Uninstaller (to delete registry entries and orphaned files that the regular uninstaller leaves behind), rebooting, and reinstalling it will fix a problem - assuming the software is compatible with the Windows version.

2 Likes