Beer With No Alcohol

Just when you thought you had heard it all, now comes a beer with no alcohol.

Perhaps that was what Slim Dusty was alluding to in his first hit song.

I wonder what the excise on it will be?

1 Like

It’s not April 1st?

Pricing? If the same marketing logic is applied as for skim milk or Mount Franklin vs Coke, expect it to cost more!

Excise will have nothing to do with it. (Pun intended)

Non-alcoholic beer has been around for decades. I also understand that zero alcohol beer is also available on tap in some countries.

I wonder why all of a sudden it has become news?

2 Likes

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Browse/drinks/non-alcoholic?productId=308942

Should have gone to :eyeglasses: ‘Woolies’!

2 Likes

I wonder what you would answer if pulled up at a breath testing station when they ask if you have been drinking? Yes, but no?

Perhaps they should have called it ‘Hops on the wagon’? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I’ve been traveling to Sweden each year for the past 15 years and zero alcohol beer is very popular there. Mostly because they essentially have a zero alcohol limit for driving. It’s actually very comparable to normal alcoholic beer if you like beer. I think it’s about changing culture- if the limit for driving was 0.00 (which I believe it should be), it will drive change to always make arrangements for driving if you are going to drink, or accept drinking non alcohol type beer and wines. Interesting side point- drinking and driving in Sweden is very very very rare and unusual- it’s just not done because the culture has shifted which is a good thing as it’s common that you just don’t ever drive if you’re drinking full stop.

6 Likes

As it should be @All4GoodService .

I have no problem with adults doing drugs or drinking if they so choose. On the other hand, driving while having any recreational drug or alcohol in their system should be seen as dangerous and anti-social.

Perhaps here they could start with removing the “under the influence of 
” as a legal defence.

3 Likes

Another beer you shouldn’t drink before you drive: brewed marijuana beer

4 Likes

As it turns out, we actually reviewed non-alcoholic beer recently :beers:

3 Likes

In Europe many bars have non-alcoholic beer on tap, next to the alcoholic varieties. This possibly removes potential stigma associated with drinking a non-alcohol beers as it comes in the same glass and looks the same as its cousins. Also, when one orders at the bar, unless they are overheard, others would not know that it alcohol free.

It would be great if the same could be done in Australia
rather than either not been sold in pubs/bars
or if it is, only sold in stubbies which gives the game away.

In relation to the scoring, I have tried the Coopers and Erdinger much prefer the Erdinger. Find the Coopers is a little ‘softdrinky’ and has a slightly stale taste. As with any taste tests, preference is in the eye if the beholder and one needs to try a few to see which one is to ones liking. Interested in trying the Calton Zero and others in the future now as well.

Also, the other criticism of non-alcoholic beers is that they generally cost the same as the alcoholic cousins, even though they are not subject to the same taxing regimes. They should be substantially cheaper. Maybe this is something for Choice to look into because if they were a lot cheaper, I am sure that more would be consumed instead of alcoholic ones.

3 Likes

The line that there had been no problem “It is absolutely not recommended for under-18s. It’s been over six months since we launched and we haven’t had issues with under-18s drinking it” is probably because the under 18’s are actually getting the alcoholic beverage instead because they like the alcoholic kick rather than just the taste. “Schoolies” should be enough of a heads up about the easy access to alcoholic beverages that under age drinkers can easily get and at times abuse.

5 Likes

Bought Peroni Libera at Dan Murphys last week, and paid more ($46) than a case of fully alcoholic Peroni ($40). Queried Dan’s who gave me a spin about their pricing fluctuating etc but didn’t answer my question about WHY non-alcoholic beer would cost more. I queried the taxes paid on non-alcoholic drinks, and their real commitment to responsible service of alcohol and got no real answer. I would love CHOICE to look at the pricing/taxes etc on this product. I would ALSO love big retailers like Dan’s to take a role in changing the attitude of drinkers in Australia to be more like Europe.

4 Likes

How cheap alcohol and other drinks are in other countries. Also typically found on the supermarket shelves next to the $1 bottled branded mineral water and over priced low or zero alcohol products. They’d never sell otherwise.

Perhaps the notion that making alcohol in Australia more expensive reduces harm is a flawed argument.
Is the real problem how we enable vested interests to define our culture and hence market the need to be great consumers of alcohol to fit in?

Government is also long wedded to the attached income model. Two partners in crime?
Since the days of Governor Bligh to be precise.

1 Like