Beefeater Barbecue

I have contacted Beefeater twice now over the last 5 years regarding replacement labels for the knobs on my beefeater built in BBQ. They do not stock these and their answer was to replace the BBQ!
The barbecue works completely fine and is around 11 years old. Clearly the labelling of the knobs was substandard because the labels have come off with gentle cleaning.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Spinkles

Beefeater sells a number of knobs as parts, some with labelling and others without. Would you provide the model so we can see what you are writing about?

Asking for labels could be challenging especially if the labels are part of the fascia, whereas knobs are a different issue. Consider what parts they would stock. Most knob shafts are also common sizes so generic knobs with the labelling you need might get it done for you, albeit for some cost.

For perspective I recently had a piece of plastic trim pop off my Blanco mixer handle. I tried numerous times and products to glue it back but the plastic had a slight warp and it kept separating. I contacted Blanco for a flat trim piece. It was not really surprising they could not send a $1 piece of plastic but they took care of my problem quickly โ€“ they immediately shipped me a new handle.

3 Likes

Itโ€™s a Beefeater Signature Series 5 Burner and the only number on it is the approval number 3986.
I have emailed Beefeater directly twice and been told they donโ€™t stock the labels and I would need to replace entire BBQ which is ludicrous!

1 Like

Hi @Spinkles, welcome to the community. In relation to the knob labels, are you referring to the markings on the knob or on the BBQ proper. Looking at the built-in Beefeater BBQ currently available, the labelling is on the BBQ proper.

If they are the labels on the BBQ proper, these are unlikely to labels per say but a paint coating or similar which is used to mark the labels at the factory. Paints (and even labels) have a finite life and life can be reduced by exposure to sunlight, abrasive or chemical cleaners, atmospheric polutants etc.

I canโ€™t comment on how you have cleaned, but the Beefeater website states for the stainless steel hood that:

Use warm soapy water and a soft cloth. BBQ wipes are also a great option. To remove heavy grease from stainless steel, use a recommended stainless steel cleaner.

Being 11 years old, the BBQ would fall outside the times which would be allowed for the consumer guarantee under the Australian Consumer Law. Unfortunately this is unlikely to be an avenue you can persue.

An option for you may be to buy a paint pen and make your own markings on the BBQ body. While they might not be as smart looking as those put onto the BBQ on its manufacture, it will allow you to have markings which assist with the BBQ use. Dots or short lines could be used to different between full and low and off. You could also make a cut out template to keep the lines/dots uniform and regular size.

The other option is search for BBQ knob labels. There seems to be a number of sellers of stick on knob labels for BBQs and ovens and maybe there is one which will be a suitable replacement for you.

2 Likes

For context your problem is not just labels for your BBQ, it is an issue with many cooktops. Some have the settings stamped into the metal but most have enamelled (painted on) labelling. After a few years of diligent cleaning the latter type invariably wear down and then off and the manufacturers do not sell replacement โ€˜labelsโ€™ since they are not labels in any case.

As with stick on BBQ labels there are cooktop labels but how long either would last would be a punt but they would get it done for what you probably need, even if not in keeping with the originals.

2 Likes

That would by my solution. It gives you better use of the machine which you say is working fine. Clean and dry the area and experiment first with permanent marker as a quick and cheap fix. Chasing the maker for this under the circumstances would not be worth my time - your choice if it worth yours - but they may not actually be in a position to help if they wanted to.

3 Likes

I also bought a beefeater signature series barbeque with the australian manufacture and stainless steel longevity being a big part of the decision. On mine the labelling has virtually dissappeared, the alloy parts lost their chrome and the knobs deteriorated as well. Wanting to spruce it up, I enquired about replacement knobs several years ago but spares were not available. I had to convert to a different type of knob which involved some time consuming alterations. Like the original poster, I was not impressed that an item built with mostly long lasting materials had no back up parts for the ones which failed.

2 Likes