Bedrooms on a budget - second hand items

If you need to kit out a new bedroom, there are some ways to scrimp and save, and other places where it’s better off spending the money.

A lot of bedroom items can be bought second hand, such as bedframes, lamps and wardrobes. Heaters (especially gas heaters) and electric blankets may be a safety hazard, so it’s better getting these new. And as for pillows and mattresses, well you could buy them second hand… but we wouldn’t recommend it.

What’s your opinion - what budget bedroom items will serve you well, and where would you spend your money?

3 Likes

I strongly recommend buying second hand. Not only is it significantly cheaper, one is more likely to get a solid, well built/manufactured product from yesteryear when things were made to last.

The only downsides are

• renovation/restoration may be required if one wants to have furniture in perfect condition;
  • usually one has to pick it up…or arrange their own delivery contractor; and
  • as items are secondhand, often one needs to see the item in the fresh to determine what the item is ultimately like. This may mean knocking back some opportunities to purchase until the ideal item is found. Patience is the key.

Things to avoid are buying cheap fast fashion furniture second hand. It won’t last and will end up being waste.

Things to do is interrogate the seller to confirm condition, size and materials. Ask for detailed dimensions and additional photos before committing to an inspection. And haggle, the advertised price should be considered the maximum price the seller wants.

We have bought a range of second hand bedroom items such as beds, cupboards, draws, shelving, desks, rugs, dressers and lamps. There isn’t one purchase we regret and being solid timber (except rugs and lamps), they will out live us.

We only buy new linen, mattresses and pillows as don’t want to think about their history as the case with second hand ones.

8 Likes

We, too, have bought secondhand furniture over the years, with no regrets. We also bought and buy secondhand books, toys, games, clothing, crockery and cookware and …gasp…linen. We have found good quality sheets, towels and quilt covers that, opened out in the shop, were ‘clear’. We always wash them first, anyway. Sometimes we’ve bought old blankets for the dog, or sheets as drop sheets when painting. It’s another way we can be sustainable, but after all these years it’s also an established habit.

5 Likes

I like looking at this website in Melbourne for second hand drapes, curtains and blinds. They have some luxury look for less. Recycled Curtains | The Curtain Exchange

4 Likes

We have bought second hand hotel bed linen which is very cheap compared to buying new. I like white which is the predominant colour available, and it doesn’t matter if any self-patterns don’t quite match because no-one except us will notice.

3 Likes

I can’t believe some of the items I see put out for council collection. These could easily be fixed, painted etc. and you would be doing our environment a favour. If I was young and starting out I doubt If I would buy any new or second hand furniture. Save your money for items like a good new mattress, and bedding.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Our locals have a number of facebook groups such as ‘freebies of [council area]’ and ‘hard rubbish in [council area]’ dedicated to giving away good items no longer needed. Some things posted look in excellent nick and some in a questionable state but maybe OK for the outdoor area. Nothing I have seen looks like junk; there are regularly bed frames and bedroom furniture as well as things for the rest of the house, interior and exterior, toys, bikes, …

Some people try to sell their used things and others just want them gone quickly and easily no matter what their potential worth. The alternative is to pay to have them taken away so it is a good deal for all.

1 Like