Bathtubs review

Has Choice ever done a review on Bathtubs. I am especially interested in bathtubs with doors. Some open out and some open in. The bathtubs with doors that open in are very expensive, but are they less likely to leak than the others.

1 Like

‘Ever’? I cannot attest one way or the other. In modern times there is no trace of any.

Personally I could not imagine how any could be reasonably tested in a meaningful objective manner. Leaks and so on depend on the installation being done properly and the user religiously following directions. In addition to leaks and drips the acrylic or material each is made with, as with a spa tub, may crack prematurely or develop other imperfections over time, and just setting one up in a lab environment seems a challenging effort.

There is a topic on the Community about ‘free standing vs drop-in baths’ but sans ‘reviews’.

This is a new category for me and perhaps for others so here is a random Australian merchant’s web page.

https://dellarte.com.au/product-category/bathroom/baths/walkin-bath-tubs/

I suspect the market for them is fairly small and niche, and thus falls outside the ranges Choice tests that focus on mainstream (eg volume) products. From my observations looking at more recent downsize options our local trend seems to be removing baths in favour of showers regardless that the walk-in seems to have some good points, especially as we age.

3 Likes

We had a similar thought. We procrastinated on whether it would be a good idea for our aging bodies with a bathroom renovation needed in the near future. It’s a solution that may appeal to some. Perhaps they will be on trend. It will be interesting to follow whether they do take off or 

At home 50% have now voted the idea down. The realisation is the difficulty is not getting into the bath, however one does. It’s whether one can get up when done. Our observations and experiences through family in aged care suggest, at least for the less mobile among us. A large open plan walk in and wheel chair friendly shower with suitable seat and hand holds beckons.

4 Likes

OT but having a rubber mat in the tub and getting out before draining the water helps a lot because of reducing/eliminating knees on porcelain pain and personal buoyancy. That knowledge has literally changed lives! Without it I might still be trapped in this 7’ soaker at a b&b, although the host would likely have rescued me within a few days. :wink:

5 Likes

I agree. As we age, getting up, even from chairs, can be difficult for some people.

And I’m married to a paramedic. It’s a regular callout for him to attend an elderly person who is on the floor and can’t get up. Most are often unhurt, its just that they dont have the strength or agility to pick themselves up. Some falls are as simple as sliding off the edge of the bed when they sit up in the morning to stand.

Baths would be out of the question. Wheelchair accessibility, or a bench and hand rails in the shower are more suitable for aging. Oh, and adjustable shower head that can be raised and lowered from standing reach to sitting reach.

2 Likes

It could be useful for the elderly in the case of shower-over-bathtub? After suffering a broken hip my mum was kept at rehab until she had the full ability to step over the side of the bathtub to have a shower at home. Even with grab rails it was always a bit difficult.
But I wonder if the tub would still be so watertight if not filled with water which puts pressure on the door?

It would be useful to compare the cost of purchasing and installing one of the walk in bath tubs vs replacing the tub with a large open shower.

1 Like

There’s nothing like a luxurious or a plain relaxing bath :bathtub:

Just thinking that it could be done when planning to renovate a small bathroom which could not accomodate both a tub and a shower cubicle? One could have a relaxing bath while still able (or for visitors or for other more agile members of the household) and then when things get too difficult, just step into the tub to use the shower.

It could be useful for the younger generations too if unfortunate enough to suffer broken/injured lower limbs during sport etc., and have no separate shower?

Yes, the cost would have to be looked into, but the bath tub would be a more stable base than the ever leaking shower cubicle?

Just thinking aloud :thinking:

2 Likes

All good points. :slightly_smiling_face:
Plenty to consider for those wondering if it is for them. :wink:

i am delighted that finally these walk in baths have arrived in Australia. Bunnings have them listed BUT sadly it looks like they are only offering them if the client lives in Victoria.
Originally I searched and found a Montana Access bath in the United Kingdom - much lower in cost BUT received every objection under the sun from Australian retailers of bath that such a bath not needed in Australia. NOT TRUE of course. Distance was one objection but I pointed out that as the said UK access baths were made in China and then were shipped to the UK and then often on to USA and Canada. The full length one is the one I want to remodel my bathroom for the future.
As far as the lovely DuART by Dell’arte 1700 x 750mm Left Handed 2 In 1 Walk In Bath With Showering Unit Option - that CAN already be purchased from Bunnings BUT they will ONLY (so far) ship to an address in Victoria. These walk in full length baths are very popular in the UK. a person does NOT need to be disabled to want such a bath. The BUNNINGS code number for the DuART said bath is I/N: 0131593 and the supply (but not delivery cost) is $AU 6,050
the reason i like the UK Montana Access full length bath is the push button to raise or lower the (removable) seat in the bath which IS the best feature if knees are not as good as when one was in one’s 20s.
And I cannot understand why big Australian BATHROOM products retailers are SO BACKWARD by NOT stocking the glorious and very clean and healthy Japanese toilets that do not need toilet paper. And I am disgusted that Australian BATHROOM retailers do not understand that BATHS also need to improve - and the Montana Access full length bath or the one BUNNINGS can offer if you live in Victoria ARE the future of baths. We no longer have to pull a chain to flush a toilet so why do baths have to remain static and unchanged since the 1800s? Bring on the Said ACCESS baths (preferably with the press button raise option) ASAP - and you should not have to wait until the knee operation from too much cycling forces you out of the BATH and restricts to ONLY wash in the shower.

Gaby is totally CORRECT - there is nothing as relaxing as a BATH that is of sufficient length that one can stretch out and relax. Another option that we ALSO miss out on in Australia is the button (as part of the bath) to press to warm up the bath water IF we choose to stretch out and relax and read a book in the bath. Such press buttons included with a bath are available in the UK but NOT in Australia. One hour STANDING in a shower would NOT be relaxing and would use up far too much water.
Whereas the press button would not require more water - but instead would just warm up the existing water - especially good in winter too.

You might find there are numerous Australian suppliers and options. I found a number including the following. Just one example, has more than one product including full length.

1 Like

Part of the reason is our market position in a global context. It is small and covers lots of territory, much of it regional and remote resulting in support costs above the norm in the EU or North America for example. Further there are some observers (including myself) that views ‘us’ as a dumping ground for old technology and with a compliant government that sets the global lowest denominator for regulation, so yesterday’s products are often imported because they can be - think clearance sales.

Australia got on the ‘kitchen bandwagon’ probably because of the popularity of reno shows but our bathrooms, as I indicated earlier, have been going ‘less’ not more with showers increasingly replacing tubs in new construction and especially apartments.

The result is one can buy most things for a price, but it is sometimes difficult and sometimes easier finding a supplier. The preferred brand? As @mark_m posted walk-in tubs as a product class are available and bidet seats have their own topic here, including links to suppliers.

Those of us living in metro areas might also not appreciate the regions and remote areas where people live on bore or finite tank water creating another set of issues to sell and support in our sometimes hostile environments. While not a large percentage of the population many understand the ‘submarine shower’ where the water goes on then off, then soap up, water back on to rinse, water off, because every drop is precious and even the hallowed espresso machine uses too much so instant is usually the drop of the day with press being high end. A ‘relaxing tub’ is something to enjoy during a visit to ‘the city’.

3 Likes

When I was growing up on a farm in SE Qld we called that a ‘deep bath’. Which was a rare treat - only when there’d been so much rain that all the tanks were overflowing. The normal daily cleanse was conducted in about 5cm water in the bottom of the bath, and everyone in the family used that water - cleanest first. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

“Who’s got the soap” was often repeated in ours.
At least until 

:wink:

1 Like