Barcode Scan Price Errors and Scanning Code of Practice

Whilst at our local Coles today, I saw a booklet of leaftets regarding their Scanning Policy and their Refunds & Exchanges Policy.

Whilst Coles are now allowing refunds for change of mind purchases on most items once again, the scanning policy is a can of worms.

It states that the scanning policy only applies to items with a barcode or a PLU which thus excludes a lot of fresh produce.

Previously, I have never had a problem with getting a refund for fresh produce which was charged at higher than the shelf price despite the items having no barcodes or PLU stickers on them.

The most recent was for some pears which had no stickers.

Likewise, the buy one, get one free products were not a problem as Coles usually refunded the total purchase price or at least half of the ticketed price although they are doing so for multi-buy items.

The exemption for items over $50 is also disappointing. I have previously received Coles Finest Angus Beef Rib Eye Roasts for free when the price charged was higher than the shelf price per kg and the total price of the roast exceeded $50.

1 Like

A story on the Aldi Scanning Policy.

In the Cannon Hill Aldi earlier this evening, there was a display of 1.5L Coke products at the end of one aisle marked as having the standard price reduced from $2.05 to $1.79, a reduction of $0.26.

As there were no Classic Coke bottles in the box, I selected two bottles from the normal shelf, and these bottles were marked as being reduced from $2.15 to $1.89, still a saving of $0.26.

When I went through the checkout, I advised that I wasn’t sure of the price of the Coke as I had seen two different prices. When the Coke scanned at $1.89, I queried the Scanning Policy and the operator asked one of the mangers who was nearby whether we could claim the scanning policy. The manager, who insisted the correct price was $1.89, gave us one bottle for free, and the second at $1.89. When we questioned why we were charged $1.89, not $1.79, we were advised it was as there were none left in the display at the back, so we must have taken the bottles from the normal shelf at $1.89.

We were told by the manager that depending where the item was in the store, they could charge differently, even though both displays were marked for the same item, and it was suggested the Scanning Policy may not apply, whereas my wife and I thought an identical item should be the same price throughout the store and we should have received the second bottle at the lower price.

Fortunately, I don’t use that store very often.

It does seem that the Supermarkets use a customer’s ignorance of the policy to their advantage as well. I have been told previously (not Aldi) that unless you specifically mention the scanning policy by name, they are under no obligation to abide by it and can still refuse.

It pays to check the dockets against the signage, and especially against their advertised specials that may or may not be reflected on their signage.

We have seen:

• sale items with the regular price on the sign charged at the regular price;
  • sale items with the regular price on the sign charged at the sale price
  • sale prices on the sign charged at the regular price

Scan price errors for 2022 to date

• Coles, $13.25 once off
  • Woolies, $70.73 comprising multiple times ($13-15 a go) on the same advertised product in different months
3 Likes

On Oct 2 of this year I posted about an experience I had in Woolworths in the topic on “Supermarkets promoting fake markdowns”, I am linking it here as I think it is appropriate to this topic as well.

1 Like

The ongoing implementation of electronic shelf labels might add to concerns. Ones that pricing can change at anytime. Given it can be 10’s of minutes or longer between trolley loaded and checkout, how can consumers in the future have confidence any price is consistent with what was displayed at the shelf?

Supposedly the systems will reduce the possibility of label errors for the store, but then no electronic system is without bugs. :bug:

2 Likes

I have experienced three situations recently involving Woolworths and scanning errors where I believe they have intentionally not been compliant with the Scanning Code of Practice.
One involved a multi-pack of Butter-Menthols with the shelf tag saying $4 but scanning at $5. I visited several Woolworths stores over the next few days.The responses ranged from

1. Me saying:, “That’s scanned incorrectly so it’s free according to SCOP” and just walked out.
  2. The supervisor saying it is only free if I’ve paid and returned to the store.
  3. Supervisor saying that is actually the policy of Coles, not theirs.
    Each time they tried to enter it as $4 not free. I got it free each time.

Second experience

Cherry tomato punnets with a large sign of $2 above them and regular shelf tag of $3 in front of them. Supervisor was insistent that it was only free if I’ve left the store and retuned having paid the higher price. I was insistent so it was escalated to his supervisor and eventually the store manager. She also stated the above policy of the earlier supervisor . But my stubbornness won out again. The manager did say she would reread the policy. I’m thinking of printing it out and taking it with me in future.

Third recent experience

Saturday Courier-Mail has $3.50 printed on it but a large yellow “Special $3.00” sign on each shelf of the rack. The self-serve attendant spoke to someone at the service desk who confirmed the lower price and then tried to put it through at the reduced price. I mentioned the SCOP means it’s free and, without a word or acknowledgment, she reduced it to $0.

After the first instance I checked the policy on the Woolworths website which I have been consistent with. I can no longer find it but have emailed them for a copy.

I find their practices devious, deceptive and possibly institutionally endorsed considering this is across four local stores. What do others think?

3 Likes

I have moved your post to an existing thread which also covers the topic of scanned pricing errors.

This is what is called multiple pricing, and is covered by Choice here:

This particular example Woolworths doesn’t have to give a customer the product for free, but the customer is obliged to pay the lowest price displayed.

The price for three pack of Butter Menthols is $5, and may have been that for some time. Either an old label appears on the shelf or another label has been mistaken for the price of the multipack. If the label is different to that scanned, then you are entitled to get the of the first product purchased reimbursed (in effect be given it free), with any other purchased at the same time at the displayed shelf price.

You have deliberately visited multiple Woolworths in attempt to profiteer from the butter menthol pricing. I personally wouldn’t do this I believe that this is unethical and against the spirit of the SCOP and exploiting the goodwill of Woolworths.

If you mentioned to the cashier that the price should be $3 on scanning of the item, they do have the opportunity to correct the price before finalising for payment. I wouldn’t be disclosing the discrepancy until after it has been scanned and placed into a bag/payment. Otherwise, it could be argued that the scanning hasn’t been completed or intention to purchase. While Choice indicates that payment doesn’t need to be made, a reasonable person would expect there is an intention to kake a purchase. For example, if one checked a shelf price using a retailer’s website and found there was a discrepancy, a reasonable person wouldn’t expect the SCOP to apply if the product was taken to a register to confirm the discrepancy. This doesn’t show intent to purchase and potentially be mislead by paying a different price to that displayed.

Shelf pricing is currently a manual process and can lead unintentional (human) errors. Scan pricing is mostly centralised set and requires local computer systems to identify changes and print out shelf prices to match the change. These systems are not fail safe.

The risks of incorrect shelf pricing increases where a a product has multiple displays in store - one shelf price may be done but others missed. This is particularly the case for lollies, cold and flu remedies in cooler months and drinks which appear hanging in aisles, displayed at end of aisle shelving or at registers.

Indicating that you think there could be some criminality is unlikely and errors are most likely to be human error or oversight.

Human error/oversight may be reduced in the future if electronic labelling becomes widely adopted.

2 Likes

It is some time since I checked what supermarkets say on their websites or in store about their policies regarding items that scan at a price higher than is displayed in the store.However, I seem to remember that often no information is now provided in which case i presume that such super markets do not necessarily provide the item free if the scanned price is higher than the shelf price.

My impression is that there is no longer a national SCOP and that supermarkets now vary greatly in what they do, the info they provide to their customers and staff, and how the staff treat consumers when a scanned price is higher than the self price. Any views? Also I’d be interested in how Woolworths responded to your request for a copy of their SCOP.

2 Likes

Yes, this is one of the potential benefits. But there are also negatives which we have discussed under a separate topic. BTW I have seen electronic labels in Aldi’s Franklin St store in Melbourne. Has anyone seen them in other Aldi stores and if so where? The unit prices on the electronic labels were too difficult to notice and read on any vertical lower shelves.

3 Likes

Hi ijarratt,
Woolworths did provide a copy of their SCOP which aligns with the national one. Nowhere does it mention that payment has to have been made for the item to be free. My expectations were confirmed as accurate per the document. They also acknowledged that managers needed further training in the policy.

3 Likes

The national Food and Grocery Code of Conduct is defined by
Competition and Consumer (Industry Codes—Food and Grocery) Regulation 2015 (this reg is empowered by Competition and Consumer Act 2010).

The Food and Grocery Code of Conduct is still a voluntary code. The website of the Australian Food & Grocery Council lists Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI as having committed to the code.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this Code only deals with behaviours between food and grocery retailers and their suppliers, not with their customers and it exists only because of strong advocacy for it by the food and grocery suppliers.

Given the demise of the previous national voluntary SCOP, and if the consumer detriment is great enough, maybe consumers should consider advocating for a national Scanner Accuracy Code of Conduct that would apply to all types of retailers (not just food and grocery) and be administered by the ACCC via a regulation made under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 ?

4 Likes