Banking, insurance and finance news

Yes, I noted the same.

My concern is that our politicians will go the way of the US and UK insofar as making loud (wrong) claims, knowing that the ‘wind-back’ days or weeks later never gets the same level of media attention as the initial dramatic lie. It wouldn’t be the first time, but anyone can see how effective it can be.

Also concerning are current home-owners who will often support anything that makes them think the value of their home will go up as a result. A lot of people have no to negative equity in their houses right now and this can be frightening when selling their house is the retirement/wealth-growth plan. Any why should they care about future borrowers being mistreated? They’ve already ‘got theirs’.

This is just ‘bring back subprime lending, it makes us lots of money’ using the pandemic and economic dip as a fig leaf.

2 Likes

It’s one of the most wicked and misguided solutions to a problem that does not exist.

Those most vulnerable and those on lower incomes are not those borrowing big. Making debt or greater debt more accessible to them is not going to substitute for reliable employment.

Encouraging spending through consumer debt will not necessarily lead to growth. Everyday consumers are unlikely to invest and more likely to simply buy, typically imported goods, services etc.

It seems so much simpler for the government to stump up the cash. Investing in genuine nation building will support employment. The alternative risks a failed recovery assuming investment in property and inflated property prices which are zero real growth.

The government gets debt at a much lower interest cost than us everyday consumers. Funding debt at government rather than consumer level shares the cost across the whole of the community, and more fairly. Increased community debt will only be carried by those who borrow and do not wisely invest, or indeed have access to wise investments. Any stimulus that type of debt creates will burden one part of the community to the benefit of the rest.

After all the lessons of the GFC, high risk financial lending and powerful recommendations for reform of the financial services sector including banks, how naive! It appears those who have made this decision deserve less than our ongoing respect.

2 Likes

Encouraging spending through consumer debt will not necessarily lead to growth. Everyday consumers are unlikely to invest and more likely to simply buy, typically imported goods, services etc. It seems so much simpler for the government to stump up the cash. Investing in genuine nation building will support employment. The alternative risks a failed recovery assuming investment in property and inflated property prices which are zero real growth.

100% agree. That’s part of why I’m so suspicious about this. Governments are the best tool for focused, widespread economic growth and job-creation. Leaving it in the hands of the private market (or, rather, regular people buying houses and cars and dresses/airconditioners/TVs on credit cards - since, y’know, businesses are already exempt from responsible lending laws) is capitalist propaganda dribble.

People are saving more and not spending because they’re worried about the economy and they’re worried about their job stability. Improve job confidence and security and there’s your consumer spending restored.

I can see a very thin thread of logic in there. Sometimes, giving people easy credit can be a bit like ‘whipping the tablecloth out from under the plates’. If it works, consumers are almost ‘tricked’ into spending big, which supports the economy, which stabilises, which supports consumer confidence and so people wobble their way back to normal.

But it if fails, the tableware (people’s lives) are smashed and everyone (the economy) goes hungry.

But here’s the rub. If this really was about making it easier to give people cash injections? The government could announce JobSeeker will stay at its current rate forever. Boom, income security.
Or, if they really really feel that young people buying houses they can’t afford is a snake-oil miracle cure, they could have a fixed term in which responsible lending obligations are suspended - and the government will take the brunt of any shortfall debts that later arise when those people inevitably can’t sustain them. (Not ideal, because that’s our taxes, but better than stripping out mass protections).

2 Likes

In relation to (The Government wants to make it easier for you to get a mortgage amid the coronavirus recession — but there's a catch - ABC News)

The Federal Government said the current credit laws are outdated, particularly given the economy has been plunged into recession because of the pandemic.

Outdated? They’re barely 10 years old. For some of the banks, they won’t be 10 years old until January 2021. They were and are ground breaking laws that exist for the public good. You don’t respond to a recession by attacking the most vulnerable.

Borrowers would also be made more accountable for providing accurate information to lenders under the new laws

They already are. Speaking from experience, AFCA and FOS & CIO before them would always take into account bad borrower (or broker) behaviour where false information was provided.

Reserve Bank governor Philip Lowe has also weighed into the debate, telling a parliamentary committee last month the legislation needed to be examined again.
“The pendulum has probably swung a bit too far to blaming the bank if a loan goes bad because the bank didn’t understand the customer.”

Cry me a river, you disingenuous con artist. It’s not about understanding the customer, it’s about running the (very basic) numbers. Instead of giving loans based on what you imagined they spent (coughHEMcough), you just have to ask simple questions and then ask for proof. ‘How much do you earn?’ the application form might say. ‘How much are your repayments on all other debts and what is the max limit of those debts? Do you send money overseas or support any other family members? Do you have any other expenses or regular payments not listed in your application?’

Boom. That’s it. You have now ticked your obligation to “make reasonable enquiries”. And if the customers give you wrong figures or fail to provide the documentation you asked for in order to take “reasonable steps to verify”, then no matter what - you’ve won. Refuse the loan until they do, easy. You know they’re desperate, that this isn’t an investment made by a clinical expert but rather a wide-eyed newbie who often lacks basic financial literacy and has their eye on a dream home and whose head is full of visions of future renovations and children and retirement life etc.

Or, because you really do want their money and don’t want them going to a competitor, check their credit file and any bank statement you have access to and approve it anyway. After all, if it ever gets to AFCA, you now have written proof that you “took reasonable steps” and therefore upheld your miniscule legal obligations.

Because no, despite what the banks might like to whimper and cry, they are not expected to see the future and prevent loans that will “go bad” except in circumstances where the numbers, right from the start, just didn’t add up.

But the Government said strong consumer protections would be maintained under the law changes and credit providers would still need to comply with their existing licensing obligations to act efficiently, honestly and fairly.

Yeah. Except it’s so much harder to prove ‘honest and fair’, isn’t it? And it’s easy to say they were ‘honest’ about their fees and interest and overall cost and ‘fair’ in accepting the information given to them and that it’s really all the fault of those foolish uneducated, inexperienced borrowers who agreed to place mum’s home as collateral for the risky loan the bank eventually approved.

“The key point is that consumer protection will stay in place,” Mr Frydenberg said.
"But our current regulatory framework, with respect to lending, is not fit for purpose.
“It’s become overly prescriptive, and responsible lending has become restrictive lending.”

Mr Frydenberg, I hope you will understand and forgive the severity of my next statement, but if you were on fire, I would wait until you burned to death before pissing on you.

A relatively bogus figure though. For all we know the vast majority of those transactions were harmless. The point was that the bank wasn’t checking the transactions at all. So noone knows whether they were harmless.

Yes, technically, a court, in sentencing, could reason as you have done and bankrupt Westpac.

That would go down well with everyone whom that would hurt.

You realise that the fines (CBA, Westpac) are really coming out of your super and my super?

Calling it 23 million offences is a bit like saying that if a person is exceeding the speed limit at time t then the person is also exceeding the speed limit at an infinite number of times before and after t and therefore the speeding fine should be multiplied by whatever number the government chooses.

A bit of commonsense should apply.

It is interesting how Westpac came undone. Another empty apology.

3 Likes

Whilst the alert teller probably did not get a bonus from Westpac, hopefully Austrac will give the person a well deserved spotter’s fee from the $1.3 billion fine.

3 Likes

“Alarm bells are ringing” about that article. We need Suspicious Activity Reports for media articles :slight_smile: - a mix of sensationalism, misrepresentation, misleading statements, and hypotheticals.

I get that it is harder to make a buck these days running a media organisation but …

Westpac uncovered that Customer 12 had a conviction for child exploitation offences

I would like to know how Westpac uncovered that. Do banks really have access to all criminal records? just child sex crimes criminal records? Does Westpac ask customers about their criminal record?

1 Like

They get D&B reports which do list convictions particularly financial but they do do others. Convictions are generally matters of public record and offences against children do have the offenders placed on registers which can be accessed. D&B just comb through newspapers and Court proceedings to find what they need.

I should also add that Credit Reporting businesses beyond D&B can also acquire similar information eg convictions either by the person having to divulge any Criminal Convictions, Bankruptcies and Debt Repayment arrangements, driving offences etc to get a loan/credit or by similar means to D&B.

5 Likes

Monash University Lens has posted an article in regards to the US Banking FinCen debacle and why Banks really don’t pay the price they should for their failures…and it all comes down to their money making.

The headline to the article broadly asks and answers the question:

Why do bankers behave so badly? They make too much money to ask questions

The link to the article is

https://lens.monash.edu/@business-economy/2020/09/23/1381366/why-do-bankers-behave-so-badly-they-make-too-much-money-to-ask-questions

If you want to see a sample of the FinCen data:

The The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists section on the FinCen releases:

Some possible fallout of the FinCen stuff up is that the British Virgin Islands secrecy of Company owners may by 2023 no longer be so secret.

2 Likes

ICIJ better watch out they don’t stray into areas that got Wikileaks into big trouble. On their main web page, right next to “about” is “leak to us”.

An article regarding negotiating a rate cut on your home loan.

“Ask and thoult shall receive”?

1 Like

There have been a number of opinions and queries on why non-Americans should care about US financial laws. Could someone be further from it than a Chinese national in Hong Kong? Yet

3 Likes

Something doesn’t ring true about that story. Are you telling me that no Chinese banks operate in Hong Kong? Or that there are Chinese banks in Hong Kong and that they are boycotting her in compliance with US sanctions? LOL.

Also, it is seriously bad security practice to say publicly: I have piles of cash (almost $1m per year in salary) at home.

(Even allowing for the the fact that she is scum and likely to be subject to targeted attacks and protests, over and above the normal level of security that would apply to a senior political figure, so she would have a fair amount of personal security and security at her residence anyway, it doesn’t seem wise to tempt fate. Perhaps an inside job … Maybe one of the guards gets greedy …)

1 Like

Welcome to the world of the long arm of American law. This may go another step to your understanding.

Which could well be just ‘a story’, but.

1 Like

There are a lot in HK…even China’s main bank has branches…

https://www.boc.cn/en/aboutboc/ab6/201809/t20180928_14267748.html

Maybe she is concerned about where she places her wealth. The Chinese government is known to freeze assets, including bank account, at the smallest whiff of corruption…especially those who it believes gives it mileage to make examples of.

You may be right…

4 Likes

Sure, I get that (and I very much understand why someone would find that US action offensive) but …

Are there Chinese banks operating in Hong Kong? If so, do you think that they will report to the US authorities that they have a bank account operated in the name of (or on behalf of) Carrie Lam? Otherwise it is left to the US authorities to “identify” that this has taken place. How will they do that? Is it credible?

Ironically, as China rushes headlong towards the total financial surveillance of the e-yuan (CBDC), Carrie Lam will soon no longer be able to spend her cash salary at all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having worked with people who worked ‘for the US government’ a while back, trust me that is not difficult when they want to make an example.

1 Like

An article regarding problems caused by money laundering laws.

No mention of Western Union who I would assume can still remit funds anywhere.

2 Likes

Some shocking facts from that article:

Closer to home, the economy of Tonga would collapse without money sent from Tongans overseas, because it accounts for 40 per cent of GDP.

More than 36 per cent of the entire gross domestic product (GDP) of Lebanon is money sent from other countries.

While obsessing over fighting crime in Australia, you wonder whether the government is getting the balance right in terms of global stability when you look at numbers like the above. In other words, the government never gets the balance right between security and other considerations but in this case you wonder whether they are even getting the balance right just in terms of security.

Of course I am assuming that other comparable countries are moving in similar directions so that there would be a worldwide squeeze on funds flowing into these kinds of countries. Can you say “failed state”?

2 Likes