Banking - can banks force customers to use certain communication channels?

Issue: Security issue with internet banking - I keep getting SMS regarding my alleged request to the bank in regards to contacting me via SMS. I got this SMS 3x in the past week. But I did not request anything.
My response: called internet banking. Waited on hold 10 mins. Spoke to someone for 20 mins. He was unable to help. Transferred me to another dept. Upon transfer I am told “the wait is no less than 45 mins”. I wait maybe 10 mins. Then hung up.

Went to a branch to solve this. Staff say this is a task for “internet banking” operatives. The branch cannot assist. I said I don’t want to call to end up either on hold for who knows how long and not speaking to anyone or ending up on hold for who knows how long and then talking to someone who cannot solve the issue. Was told at the branch that is NAB’s only option. I asked if I can write to the bank. Was told “no”. I asked if I can email the bank. Was told “no”.
Online a search of the NAB website confirms this. No postal address or email address for internet banking is provided.

Question: Can they get away with this? Is there no requirement for the bank to offer a reasonable means of communication to in this case undo what is either some glitch in their software (as I did not make any SMS requests) or possible fraud. Or are customers forced to wait on hold for an indefinite period hoping that if they do manage to get through, (a) their issue is logged and (b) their issue is solved?

(Note I did find a postal address that could be what I am after, but as I did not find it via the bank’s website and as there is no specific mention of “internet banking”, I am not so confident).

2 Likes

NAB customers can communicate with NAB using their messaging after logging into a NAB account online. It is secure and they know who sent the messages.

They also will have a trail/history of past communications with their customers.

Many other banks also offer the same messaging option.

2 Likes

FWIW my experience with 2 banks ‘special messaging via their app’ has been a wait on hold. My impression is it saves 1 or 2 minutes of validating the customer, and marketing, marketing, marketing how much they care.

2 Likes

I was not told of this and will look into it. In my experience with other banks you are correct that a trail is available of historic conversations but not once was an issue sorted out for me that way. I always needed to go to a branch, fill in forms and explain the situation several times until I came across a person with sufficient knowledge.

2 Likes

While we don’t bank with NAB, our own bank responds within 1-2 days of any enquiry being lodged. An example being we last used our bank’s online messaging system yesterday (reason why I thought I would check if NAB has similar service). Message acknowledged by reply message about an hour later advising it had been forwarded internally for necessary attention/action. With phone contact (called back which we asked for to discuss) in relation to the enquiry today.

The messaging allows communication and callback without the hassle of being in phone queues.

It is also important be clear and concise in the message so it is forwarded onto the relevant team/personnel to respond.

Hopefully you have a similar experience with NAB.

2 Likes

My experience in recent weeks has shown that using the bank’s messaging service offers no result. It seems in both cases (i.e. two different banks) that they just disappear into the ether. When I tried phoning, I was put on hold for so long that I had to give up. Banks make large profits yet refuse to adequately staff their customer support services.

1 Like

On mine ING provides timely responses that as often as not are rote scripts that reiterate how it should work, no recognition there was a reason for the message in the first place. Not sure whether that or a black hole is more irritating.

ING is one of the banks I’m dealing with. Four weeks without a response.

At a month lodge a complaint.

It has likely been lost or overlooked in their system.

I use Beyond. Excellent service always get a person. They even rang me once to explain how I was missing out on interest the way I had my account configured.
My brother visiting at the time was amazed.