Backup software review

Maybe I am slow, but does one get a discount from Apple for not accepting IOS?

I have 2 PCs, neither that came with Windows licenses, and 1 that did, and an iPad that was priced as take it or leave it, with IOS.

I could put any OS I want on any of the 3 PCs.

What am I missing in your argument?

4 Likes

We are talking about computer operating systems. If you buy an Apple Mac you are then able to load ANY operating system you like.
You do NOT get a discount for not using IOS or MacOS as they are FREE.
If you hate Apple hardware that much, why would you buy it?

“What am I missing in your argument?”
Your hatred of Apple?

“While not at your JB or Good Guys type shops many PC speciality shops commonly sell PC hardware without operating systems included, but offer them as optional extras.”
So what? Most people DO buy their PCs at JB, or Good Guys, or similar and have NO idea that any alternative to Windows exists!

“Just imagine if you car didn’t run when it was delivered.”
No dealer would deliver a car in that condition. They usually deliver it with enough petrol to make it to the nearest service station. NB: none of them delivers the car with a stipulation that you can only use ONE brand of petrol!

eh?

2 Likes

So build your own computer @rahb1. That is what I did for years. Like power gamers do. Get the motherboard, case, disk, memory, processor, bits and bobs, and put any operating system on it you like. Should be a BIOS on the motherboard to enable a bootup.
Then source your operating system

2 Likes

What does that mean? This is why I say forget analogy just say what you mean.

1 Like

You overlooked Jeep.

As opposed to any other computer? You are still paying for MacOS - and quite a premium for the privilege of owning an Apple computer.

Of course, Windows 10 is still available for free if you want it and are upgrading from a previous version.

And just to be clear, my first computer was an Apple, my first smartphone was an Apple and my next smartphone will be an Apple - so please do not try accusing me of having some imagined dislike of a particular company. Apple, Linux, and Microsoft operating systems have their strengths and their weaknesses and appeal to users for a range of different reasons. So consumers actually have choices - by no means a bad thing.

6 Likes

The MS Windows Defragment issue for SSDs has been fixed in the September software updates. For those who have patched to those updates they can safely turn Automatic Maintenance back on and turn the “Optimize” features back on if they have been disabled.

5 Likes

File History as a back-up option - discussed in Choice Computer Nov/Dec 2020 P.32 Tutorial Windows 10 Backup.

Just like to mention that File History is NOT a backup option against failure or moving to a new computer. File History saves a dated version of your files (not all of them) so you can go back to an earlier version. It cannot be restored to another computer, only the one it came from.

I learnt this the hard way. My tablet was having increasing Blue Screen of Death issues, so I attached a hard drive and turned on File History while I tried to solve the problem myself. I couldn’t and the tablet went back under warranty. The new one arrived and I tried to restore File History. After many failed and frustrating attempts I joined the others asking the same question on MS Community.

The only way to do it is to pick the files off, one by one, Rename and then save to the new computer. Pity the guy with 70,000+ files. One trick is to print (or save) a listing by file name, then sort by date and cross off as you save the latest.

I also learnt by bitter experience that File History can be corrupted with BSoD issues. My Family History (saved in File History) came out with a corrupted database and I had to spend considerable time rebuilding the file structure. It was also time consuming opening each file to see if it was OK. I had a crucial photo that I could not reduce in size to email - so frustrating and I don’t know why. Despite listing all files in Documents to be saved to File History, it ignored my email. So I have lost the lot there (my computer went black screen before I could do a complete backup).

Mentioning this in case anyone else read the article and decided to trust File History against the evil day when your computer dies.

4 Likes

@SteveDuncombe, the Nov review of backup software is a bit short on the freebies, probably cause they are so many different flavours and require varying different technical skills.

Good/bad stuff about the free alternatives (ignoring free versions of the commercial packages)

• The freebie backup app is usually produces a copy from which you can drag/drop for restores. My favorite is Fastcopy. Commercial package put backup data into their proprietary file types which you can’t extract files from.
  • Keeping historical copies and versioning is DIY. This where the commercial apps are really good and essential for backups
  • Scheduling backups is DIY and not that difficult. Commercial apps good at this, another essential requirement.
  • Recover from previous versions, try the windows built-in File History. Have a go at putting it to an external hard drive. File History backups are where your recovery from “Previous Versions” gets it data.
  • System recovery from disasters, I always use Windows built-in win7 image backup its good (but slow) plus create USB system recovery drive. Recovering a system is a lot faster than the backup.
    No NAS, just a bunch of hard drives and a USB docking station will do. I’m considering switching to NVME M.2 SSD docking station when they get cheaper.

Most commercial home backup still don’t have deduplication data storage. It can be found in free Linux backup apps. It saves a lot storage space.

Cloud? Requires a fully functional Windows system to recover.

4 Likes

Hi @Bob01, I moved your post into this existing ongoing topic about backup software and edited your intro accordingly, as well as tagged Steve. As you are aware it is a complex topic where some just want it to work and others are happy to engage in techie style products; your comments should be helpful to all.

2 Likes