Avanti Baker's Dozen Measuring Set

Was given this measuring set as a gift . It is very versatile containing 13 measuring “thingies” to help me try and not ruin as many of my culinary attempts . /

The measurements on the spoons on the left of the picture brought a smile to my face . They are marked . A smidgen , a pinch , a dash , a tad . I’m trying to get my head around a smidgen , I wonder what volume it really is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On a serious note they are a great set of measuring devices and being stainless steel is a real bonus to me as I’m not a great fan of plastics .

9 Likes

and the answer is at https://www.accuracyproject.org/pinchdash.html

SMIDGEN - A smidgen holds 1/2 pinch or 1/32 teaspoon. 2 smidgens = 1 pinch

PINCH - A pinch holds 1/2 dash or 1/16 teaspoon. 2 pinches = 1 dash
A pinch has historically been defined as “an amount that can be taken between the thumb and forefinger” but without any definite equivalent in other units of measurement.

DASH - A dash holds 1/8 teaspoon. 8 dashes = 1 teaspoon
A dash was originally considered a liquid measure, a small but indefinite amount. More recently the term has been used as both a liquid and dry measurement.

NOTE: There is some contention as to just how much a pinch or dash is. Some contend that they are both equal to 1/16 teaspoon, while others claim a pinch equals 1/16 teaspoon, but a dash equals 1/8 teaspoon.

:smiley:

6 Likes

I think there must have been a smidgen of truth in what you wrote there Phil :grinning: I’ll just “dash” down to the kitchen and see if I can “pinch” some information out of one of my cook books if you can wait a “tad” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

With all those tools your next meal will be ready in a Jiffy!

4 Likes

Yeh I’m not really sure what I will whip up tonight for dinner .:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just cook a smidgen, with a pinch of this and a dash of that. It could be something you could then onsell to the ‘diet’ or ‘weightloss’ industry.

3 Likes

Now that sounds like a really good plan .

2 Likes

From my vantage point your apology should be accepted :smiley:

3 Likes

… sounds a bit half baked to me - need to do a smidgen more work on it :wink:

4 Likes

I know I need to have more of a think about my plan to cook but I don’t thing I will be " brewing " over my decision too much . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the thimble, so how are you going to add a ‘thimble full’ then Mike?

3 Likes

:smiley: http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/whats-the-capacity-of-a-standard-thimble-in-millilitres/11212271

3 Likes

I know that there are 24 grains in a dwt, if that is any help :grin:

4 Likes

I always thought a peck was a small unit eg a bird had a peck at the seed…small right? Yep that’s one ginormous bird at 8 yes 8 quarts to the peck…ok now I am adjusting all bird sizes based on the peck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems Phil @PhilT is right on the ball with this one Tamas . 2.1 ml .

3 Likes

Circa 1984-ish the ‘owners manual’ for a DEC VAX750 referenced microfortnights. I was always in awe it got into the manual. The explanation is here.

Other fringe measures are at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement#Microfortnight

4 Likes

Great link thanks Phil. I knew some, but so many I hadn’t heard of.

Thanks

3 Likes

If it was in a DEC manual, it was completely legit :slight_smile:

From the DecSystem-10 Macro Assembler Reference Manual - back in the days when core actually meant core, real programmers could do math in octal, and you could find sex and sin in the same manual …

… but we digress …

1 Like

This diversion is on you! While living in the world of octal (Control Data systems - we were real programmers, and had pointy hats and wore capes!) an elderly and extremely competent co-worker had his tax return knocked back one year. They essentially wrote they had no problem with his numbers for income, deductions, etc, but noted he added them incorrectly and indicated what his tax should be – they just added his numbers. He would not have been that sloppy as to add incorrectly. After staring at his return for a while he realised that none of his income or deduction amounts had any 8 or 9 in them, and he unconsciously added them in octal. :smiley:

3 Likes

He should have done it in hexadecimal @PhilT. Would have taken ½ the time. :clown_face:

3 Likes