Australians have not embraced online grocery shopping... yet

I used online shopping years ago when it first began. Was a small independent company and service was great. Then it was sold on. Old company used returnable boxes which they took away and reused or which could be recyled. New company (and also other companies i tried) used thousands of plastic bags (often ONE item in a bag) and that is the main reason I went back to regular shopping. Been using our own boxes and bags well before ALdi started (we are devoded Aldi shoppers now) So I hope any new company minimises packaging.

2 Likes

Coles drivers take the used plastic bags back to the store

3 Likes

I bought some presents from Amazon last year and they offered a reduced cost minimal, generic, recyclable, packaging option. The photo looked like a cardboard box with organic “peanuts”. The normal retail package cost a premium for those who wanted it.

3 Likes

@fayelifar

Thanks so much for adding this - you’ve saved me having to do so.

I will only add, that I place the order with Woolies the day before, and my Mum gets her goods the following day.

1 Like

Amazon has confirmed its retail operations will be launching in Australia, with suggestions of a 93,000 square metre fulfillment warehouse.

3 Likes

And it has already led to a drop in share prices of some of the big retailers over here including Wesfarmers and Woolworths.

2 Likes

You don’t get the quality of food that you’d choose yourself, when its delivered.
Woolworths have the same item (my experience with dry ginger) one price on one shelf, and another price in, different shelf around the corner.
If you choose the cheaper price, they will charge you the most expensive price. Twice (different items) I’ve queried the price at the checkout, told
them where I got it from, they checked the price 
guess what I was right. I was told it must just be an old price, but the person was very embarrassed.

I will be interesting to see how easy they make it for people to use unit pricing to compare values of food and grocery products. To do so they need to:

• provide unit prices for all required/relevant items and for regular and special offer selling prices
  • consistently using the correct measurement units for unit prices
  • have product search facilities that show you only the product you are interested in
  • have an easy to find and use “sort by lowest unit price” facility.
4 Likes

It’s been a while since we’ve commented on this thread, so I thought I’d restart it in case anyone would like to update their online grocery shopping stories. If you grocery shop online, we’d like to hear whether your experience was good or bad.

2 Likes

Since my first post in this thread some time ago things are still good in regards to Coles online grocery service . I am thinking of giving Your Grocer a few orders just for comparison sake rather than out of necessity .

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @vax2000 :100:

1 Like

I wonder how the online prices now compare to the in store prices. A few years ago there was some media about Coles pricing online purchases more than in store.

I have checked the Coles website and I can’t find any information, like Woollies has, in relation to online pricing being the same as store prices.

Food for thought.

2 Likes

Peter the ACCC recently looked at Coles online and queried their pricing policy . . %70 of the products listed are the same as in store ., %30 have a %10 loading on them that Coles claims covers picking and packaging . /

I should have bookmarked the link . If I find will post it later . /

Woolwoths claims that online and instore are all the same .

4 Likes

Coles partners with online shopping automation giant Ocado to improve its offering.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company-news/coles-brings-in-online-supermarket-ocado-for-home-delivery-overhaul/ar-BBVdLEV?ocid=spartandhp

Some days there seems to be more employees doing the online shopping order picking than any other employees visible in the stores.

2 Likes

How on earth is that Robot going to be able to tell if my Avocados are at the right “ripeness”?

Whatever next
?

4 Likes

Suspicion may be the avos are dispatched green and hard so that they don’t spoil in handling or on the way?

Is the term Coles need to use in the product description to help us all - “Ready to Eat!”?

P.s. preference for ripeness also varies between individuals for fruits such as avos, pears and bananas to suggest a few?

2 Likes

I prefer to shop at the store and walk to and from the supermarket.It’s great for people who have trouble getting around to purchase on-line.They don’t really have anything special that gets you purchase on-line anyway.I can’t really see it getting any better in the future either

2 Likes

Perhaps the robots will just squeeze test the avocados just like the instore customers do.

I usually find that any avocado which is already ripe instore is also already bruised from squeezing.

4 Likes

I think the robot is there to smash them, not to test ripeness :rofl:

7 Likes

I would love to be able to buy groceries online.

We have tried it, and found that orders get mixed up, things don’t get delivered, ‘fresh’ produce is incredibly risky. Additionally, it costs money to get that convenience. And I don’t think most Australians will ever get to experience that US ‘Amazon Prime’ shopping experience, because we are just too spread out for it to be worthwhile.

1 Like