Australian Airline Services at Their Best ( Not )

I was pleased to not see any pasenger get ripped off today, unlike a previous occassion I posted about above.

My wife’s flight departed some 1.5 hours late and I said to her that the least that Jetstar could do was to provide the passengers with a free lunch.

Today I saw that one of our credit cards has a $7 chage by Jetstar, obviously for refreshments.

1 Like

We occasionally shop around and try a different airline. It reminds us they all have their good days and bad days.

Who ever has the best price on the day and time most convenient usually gets our custom. The more you fly, the more you realise the differences between most airlines may not be that great. Unless you can afford a seat up front, in which instance it probably matters even less.

1 Like

My wife only flew with Jetstar because our daughter in Melbourne booked it with our Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

If we are paying, we fly with Virgin.

Perhaps that might have been our choice too!

Qantas is the only airline that I have flown with that has ever lost our luggage. Twice to be precise. Ultimately they found it the next day and it caught up.

And there are many reasons for delayed flights. Jetstar is but one of those on the list.

And Virgin is the only airline we have boarded a flight with, departed an hour late and 3.5hrs later left the flight at the same airport and gate as we departed from.

We still fly with Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin at least one or two flights each year, between us.

Who is worse?
There are many worse and less safe.

My only grumble with Jetstar is their terminal gates in Japan. It’s a long walk to the train. Discount service at a discounted price. Good for the legs though.

Jetstar strikes again.

This is possibly an unkown fact about passports, but one need a passport in good condition to travel and Jetstar has the right to refuse a passenger boarding if the passenger has a passport which is damaged or appears faulty. This Australian government website provides more information:

As there is a distinct crease/line (possibly tear) on the lower page on the photo, it could be seem at a foreign border control as the passport may have been tampered with resulting in denied entry. Jetstar may be then responsible for the repatriation of this passenger back to Australia.

1 Like

From the website.

"## My passport has some damage. Can I still use it?

Normal wear and tear should not be a problem. More serious damage can stop you from travelling. It is important that:

• There are no tears in the pages, especially the photo page.
  • Everything on the photo page is legible and clear.
  • No pages have been removed.
  • There is no alteration or tampering."

The caption to a photo in the article in the article.

“© Provided by Daily Mail Kerr, 26, shared a photo of the travel document’s binding on Wednesday afternoon which appeared to have a slight sign of wear on one end”.

Bottom line. Jetstar being s***star as usual.

How relevant any of that is in an era of digital passports remains to be seen? As long as the bits are in good condition, the condition of the paper shouldn’t matter.

Ideally the immigration authorities would comment on this case but they will no doubt hide behind “we don’t comment on individual cases”.

Australia’s highest-ever paid female football player in any code
she showed her humility despite scoring four goals in a dominant win and spearheading Australia’s charge to the knockout rounds

Memo to journo: I’m pretty sure that neither being well paid nor being outstandingly talented means that you are beyond the law.

2 Likes

As outlined above:

This line could be seen as major damage.

In the second photograph also appears to be a tear along the binding strip (possibly 1-2cm) in the middle passport. A tear is outlined as serious damage on the passport website.

Sam Kerr should have possibly approached the Department of Foreign Affairs. The Passport website states that

If you’re not sure about the condition of your passport, call us on 131 232 or contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission(link is external). We may need to see your passport to assess it.

I hope that now her passport has been declined, she will approach the Department and request a new passport.

1 Like

At the other end processing may not be digital. Immigration officer in skirt and happy island face included.

1 Like

Just checking out own passports
the damage is also on the back of the reverse side of the page containing the photograph
which is even more concerning as it may raise suspicions of tampering.

That’s correct, and not all countries use bio-metric passports as well:

Even countries with bio-metric passports, there could be entry points where bio-metric data on passports are not used, such as land crossings between two countries or where the crossing occurs in transit (such as on a train). We have experienced this a number of times and most recently, last year on the border between Hungary and Romania (while sitting at 12.30am on a train).

Or request them to assess the condition of the passport and advise airlines that in its current condition the passport is acceptable.

Too late now though. Holiday plans have presumably been messed up.

At least we know Kerr can afford the “expedite” fee if she needs a new passport and wants it ASAP.

I knew someone would point that out. :slight_smile:

While true I think that reflects more as a failing on the destination country, than on Kerr’s passport.

According to Wikipedia, as at June 2017 there are 120 countries using digital passports. Any country not using digital passports needs to get with the times or lose visitors.

I am not aware of anything on the photo page that is not also on the chip. So if any criminal wants to alter the photo page, I welcome that. They will be caught very quickly, and one less criminal on the streets - unless they visit countries that are behind the times.

1 Like

Not necessarily, see my post immediately above. While airport border crossings are typically sophisticated, land crossing are far from being the same experience.

True, but being detained in a foreign country, potentially having a return exclusion imposed and being deported may be a far worse experience.

And there are a multitude of other travellers who have been in the similar situations with the own airlines due to damaged passports
it is worth searching online as Sam Kerr is not alone

2 Likes

I could not resist posting this one.
Jetstar is not that different in how it treats it’s customers?

Of course those who fly on Qantas Regional carriers, EG Qantas link, also pay a massive premium for the privilege, compared to a Jetstar flight.

At least QantasLink customers are unlikely to need to make the choice between Jetstar and the local regional. The two don’t compete.

P.S.
Having flown often with both Qantas on their regional services or on their competitors and Jetstar, only one airline has ever misplaced my luggage twice since Ansett folded. And it is not Jetstar.

I’ve updated the topic heading so that we don’t keep creating a new topic for each carrier. I’m confident there are other ‘great first hand’ examples of how other Aussie based airlines have hit their valued customers.

2 Likes

I have had my luggage left behind on a regional flight (in the days that Ansett flew Brasilias) due to potential overloading of the aircraft
and it was personally delivered by Ansett staff later that night after it was flown up in another aircraft (which did surprise me as we had caught up the last Ansett service for the day). It used to be a relatively common occurrence.

I understand that a common departure point for luggage being left for the next flight is Lord Howe Island, where weight restrictions are severe due to the length of the island’s runway.

1 Like

It is drifting a little, but I found the smaller the airline and aircraft, the more personal the service. Despite the oft chunder buckets of flights, accounting for ones luggage was never a problem. It all went in the back of the cabin with you, or you handed it to the ground crew come pilot, come flight attendant, come ticket collector, come re-fueler. Typically we carried our one bag to hand it over and see it placed immediately in the over wing nacelle locker.

The latter was dubiously secured by two toy like catches. I fully expected to one day see the luggage depart mid flight and disappear onto the ground hundreds of kms from any recognisable road.

I was never sure whether a procedure to weigh all luggage and passengers should be reassuring caution, or a sign of doubt! All good so far.

1 Like

Just to demonstrate Jetstar is not unique and perhaps shares criticism with another airline. This time Qantas.

Every Aussie airline has it’s good and bad moments looks evermore a likely truth.

1 Like

QF seems have their fair share and maybe then some. Seems QF might qualify as being learning disabled. Once happens. 5 times this year?

Ms Whiteside-Lane said Mr Tiessem’s experience was not an isolated incident.

“This year alone, we’ve had five of our veterans from Townsville encounter problems getting onto the flight with Qantas,” she said.

2 Likes