Australian Airline Services at Their Best ( Not )

Good to see the full ABC linked article read with intent. :wink:

I wonder if there is a common denominator with the other instances.

Qantas said the relevant team had not received the necessary paperwork clearing Scout to fly.

Mr Tiessem said the flight was booked by the Department of Veterans Affairs, which also lodged the paperwork.

A companion dog is something the Dept of Vet Affairs might reasonably expect for many Veterans.

For Qantas or other airline, knowing in advance of checkin might also be appropriate. Not everyone in the community might feel comfortable seated near to a cute eyed floppy eared dog.

2 Likes

Isn’t Jetstar sort of just an apparatchik of QANTAS? “Anything we do they can do better” sort of system? But leaving my cynic nature at the door, this discrimination of disability and/or mobility seems a common enough thread with most transport methods. Buses , Taxis, Ride Share, Trains, Planes, Ships/Boats businesses all seem to have two left or right feet at times when it comes to how they treat various manifestations of mobility and disability and the aids used to assist whether dogs, wheelchairs, canes, walker frames, slowness of movement, ability to read, ability to communicate, visual impairment (not just completely blind), deafness, frailty and so on. Until disability is given serious consideration beyond the rubbery legislation and interpretation by many I don’t think these incidents will become less frequent.

2 Likes

Another clanger for Jetstar.

1 Like

Yes I agree having just travelled from Perth to Coolangatta via Jet Star - My back is still aching - no headrests, no room to move. I felt sorry for the large men sitting near me who wriggled all night or read a book & disturbed these around him, They are a discrace & just greedy

1 Like

Jetastar strikes again.

They certainly deserve their nickname of S***star".

I usually fly Jetstar and, until this last trip, I haven’t really had any issues. This January, I was travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne on a Thursday and arrived at the airport in plenty of time to get the plane, due 11.25. The board changed from 11.25 to 3.40. No Jetstar planes were at the gates at all for quite a long time. No staff member appeared at the gate to give us any information. The board was later updated to 5.30. A staff member appeared at the gate just before 3 and issued eeveryone with $8 vouchers. He wouldn’t get a manager to come to the gate and explain the delay. On the plane, we were told it was a mechanical issue which prevented the plane leaving Sydney that morning. There was no reason given for not informing us before we actually left for the airport. I received a survey which I filled in and sent, but have heard nothing since. It will take a lot to get me back with Jetstar.

2 Likes

Good communication with customers is an easy way to minimise a negative experience. I am sure that if Jetstar kept its customers up to date with the flights delay and potentially apologised for any inconvenience, your experience while not acceptable, may have been seen in a different light.

Keeping information from affected people is the easiest way to get them offside and leads to greater complaints.

3 Likes

I experienced a similar issue with Virgin. I was taking a domestic flight from Perth to Brisbane.

I arrived and checked in 30 minutes before the bag drop cut off, and joined the queue. Unfortunately all of the bag drop machines failed, and there was only 1 staff member to try and fix all 15 machines. In 30 minutes not one person made it out of my queue. My co-passenger had already dropped their bag and was waiting.

Eventually I managed to interrupt the overwhelmed service desk person and ask what I needed to do. She told me go to the staffed desk for late bag drop. 15 minutes before the flight is scheduled to leave and I’m still in the staffed bag drop queue with another passenger catching the same flight, both of us pretty anxious at this point. We both help out an elderly passenger who isn’t able to check in using the machines and can’t get anyone to help her.

Eventually this other passenger manages to interrupt a staff member and express our anxiety that we are not going to be at the gate in time. The staff member explains they know there are delays and flights wont depart until all checked in people are accounted for.

Great. But couldn’t they have announced that or got staff to assist 45 minutes ago? I’ve spent 45 minutes fending of an anxiety attack that I didn’t need. It’s just not one person thought to tell passengers that fact

4 Likes

For sure. Even in the absence of staff, couldn’t they have used either display screens at the checkin gates or their web site (or an app) to communicate better?

I think I would be underwhelmed with an $8 voucher. They wasted perhaps 6 hours of your time. Worth more than $8?

2 Likes

Exactly. As as one often has to give a mobile number or email, they could easily have sent updates from a remote location to those customers which provides such details. Even if only say 50% received the email/text, at least they had and would have the ability to pass on the information to fellow passengers.

Positive and proactive communications (that being on the front foot with communications/information no matter how bad it may be) is very easy to do. Why businesses like Jetstar fail to do such is poor business practices.

1 Like

It’s worth familiarising yourself with Jetstar’s compensation arrangements before you fly. If the delay is the airlines fault and more than 3 hours, you can request to be re-booked on a Jetstar flight acceptable to you or get a credit voucher.

The key phrasing there is ‘upon request’. They won’t tell you what you’re entitled to, you have to ask.

You may not have used this anyway, but it’s worth knowing all the airlines policies before you fly.

6 Likes

The Jetstar website states:

We are committed to getting you to your destination on time, however sometimes bad weather, natural disasters, technical problems, operational and other issues can cause flight delays and cancellations.

I wonder in this case where the delay appears to be a technical/mechanical issue whether it would be considered in the control of, or not within the control of the airline.

Delay or cancellation within our control includes engineering issues, Jetstar IT system outages, delayed delivery of baggage to the carousel due to resourcing issues, late cleaning/loading of catering to the aircraft, crew/staffing issues.

Delay or cancellation outside our control includes weather events, air traffic control issues, industrial action by a third party, security issues.

Delay from engineering issues is assumed to be the same as mechanical issues. In this case, @lindal2008 could have asked for a refund if the reasons for the delay ‘mechanical issues’ was correct.

I also wonder if the Jetstar airport personnel were scant to reduce the opportunity for one to ask for such a refund
and in many cases, the refund still doesn’t solve making the flight to the destination if one is already waiting at the airport for a flight. One might get a refund but only find that rebooking one’s own flight is more expensive or occurs later that the airline rebooked flight (as I imagine priority would be given to bumping delayed and still booked passengers to the next available flight.

2 Likes

Those refunds are usually far from quick and can take weeks. Those without adequate funds or credit limits could thus be unable to book another flight until they received good funds or credit in their account.

Not sure what you mean by that. Reality is those bumped from a flight are put on the next available seat on the next available flight as a matter of airline practice. No pax with a confirmed seat is inconvenienced to make room for anyone bumped from other flights. If there was priority given for those bumped the end case would be 2 or more unhappy pax, not just the 1 who was bumped, so they do not do that.

In the USA at least, if an airline has a problem (mechanical, overbooking, whatever) the bumped pax can usually ask for and receive a booking on the next available flight by any airline with a seat. Sometimes the airlines will offer it with the pax agreement. Most all of their airlines do it; they have ‘wholesale’ (best fare and then some) prices, and it creates good will from the pax as they experience ‘care’ about their unexpected circumstance.

2 Likes

I meant that if the next flight has spare seats, delayed Jetstar passengers (who didn’t ask for a refund) would be bumped to these spare seats making it more difficult for those with refunds to fly in a timely manner. The last minute booking of a spare seat is also generally more expensive than discounted tickets which may have been booked some time previously (and which would be amount subject of the any refund).

2 Likes

Yes I suspect one of the reasons for not getting a manager to explain the delay would mean having to admit it’s Jetstar’s fault and then possibly having to find a staff member to process re-booking / credit vouchers.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, whilst Qantas senior management have their snouts deep in the throughs, the workers get the rough end of the pineapple.

This is an outcome of tax and accounting laws and regulations and standards coupled with corporate liability. A worker on the books has entitlements and rights that have to be accounted for, as well as wage determinations, unions, and awards, and so on. The same worker under a contract arrangement has no entitlements or rights on the books of the company s/he is providing services to.

The solution is not to diss executive floors, it is to diss the governments who make the employment and tax laws that favour companies that outsource as they do. If companies did the correct moral thing it would not be an issue, but companies’ only responsibility is ‘shareholder value’.

2 Likes

Perhaps dissing both has value :smile:

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter how you slice it and dice it, aviation is one of the industries hardest hit by the pandemic. You can’t blame laws or governments or even greed for that reality.

It is forecast (take with grain of salt) that one third of airlines won’t make it through the pandemic. Won’t be any senior management continuing to snout at those airlines.

Companies outsource for various reasons and what you say about the different accounting treatment is true (hence is one possible reason) but it is difficult to imagine that it really would make a significant difference in the current circumstances.

When you lose 97% of your business in a short amount of time, something’s gotta give.

given what the saying means, is there in reality a smooth end? I’ve never seen one with a smooth end, do Queenslanders keep these for themselves? if so, for what purpose? :rofl:

2 Likes