Attention Telstra Customers: do you trust that Telstra will provide a reliable service? Vote now

Telstra claims to be ‘Australia’s largest and fastest national mobile network’ but the network outages keep coming.
Do you trust that Telstra will provide a reliable service in the future? Vote now: choice.com.au/telstra

My prepaid ‘service’ cuts out on exactly the same type/brand/model of mobile phone as my partner’s, who is running a payment plan, even though we use the phones from exactly the same location. Obviously the prepaid provides a sub-standard reception despite paying higher rates.

1 Like

NO I don’t trust Telstra. I have got prepaid mobile phone with Telstra and I checked my usage just the other day. I found 1 text had been billed 4 times, and on further investigation found more text messages had been charged either twice or three times. I phoned the Telstra call cenrtre where I was questioned if that text had been received 4 times by the receiver! The Bill was ammended and I was surprised when I had asked the call centre person if this was a common occurrence. The reply was yes. I would never have been aware of this if I hadn’t checked my usage.
Users should check their usage frequently.

1 Like

I’m not surprised with that from Telstra. I also find my prepaid Mobile phone calls are tampered with. For example when I receive a phone call the phone only rings about 3 times. This cant be normal. There fore I nearly always miss the call and have to call back.

1 Like

Telstra, I don’t trust, service is not good, and billing is worst - I’ve taken them to the Obudmens,
for unrealistic charges and was reimbursed.

1 Like

I am in Victoria and have had mixed experiences with Telstra. I have a personal mobile phone plan via work (so technically a corporate plan) and mobile wireless broadband with Telstra. I do a lot of horse riding in country areas, and I generally find I have better reception than my friends with other providers such as Optus. The exception was when I visited my Dad in a small town north of Perth. He lives in a gully and providers such as Optus had good coverage, and Telstra had none!

With both plans I have definitely been frustrated by the wireless outages from Telstra. This affects both of my plans.

I always felt I did not have a choice but to use Telstra because of the places I travel and need service. But I am no longer certain that paying their premium price is as justifiable to me as it used to be.

1 Like

Hi
Telstra may have occasional outages on their huge networks and that my be inconvenient for urban folk wanting to check their Facebook page but for people in rural and remote Australia where telecoms may be the difference between life and death often the only telecoms provider is telstra and they on balance do a pretty good job.
Try driving outback queensland or most other remote regions and the only phone provider is Telstra as Vodaphone and optus only care about urban centres and will not make the investment.

No I don’t trust Telstra. I live in a capital city, under 3km from the nearest repeater tower (in line of sight) and have intermittent reception for both mobile phone and internet. I have rung Telstra on a few occasions and they stated they have no plans to improve the reception in the foreseeable future in our area. Their care factor appears negligible. Next step is the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

I have prepaid wireless and mobile, but am looking for others: tired of the timeouts, buffering, failures to re-credit downtime, failures to notify of better plans for established customers. Most of their current offers downgrade monthly covers from 30 - 31 days to 28 days. Greater volume data reduced time. Why? No poles and wires. Maximised price. Clever.[quote=“bmays, post:1, topic:2679, full:true”]
Telstra claims to be ‘Australia’s largest and fastest national mobile network’ but the network outages keep coming.
Do you trust that Telstra will provide a reliable service in the future? Vote now: choice.com.au/telstra

[/quote]

Mmm, I have lived remote and in the city. Telstra is mostly better in the bush, although surprisingly, in Yarrabah I found Virgin often did better. G3 is more reliable in the bush, too (Kimberleys). But you can get a little aerial to attach, that is likely to improve reception.

This seems to be a default setting, and is not limited to Telstra. My phone is on Optus, and I had the same issue. I had to contact the re-seller and ask how to increase the ring period. It’s now 30 seconds rather than about 10.

Trust Telstra? Apparently not their problem since a 3rd party is responsible so all is well. More amusing since the NBN requires a fully charged mobile for emergencies. Oh well…

AAP 29 Jan 2018

Telstra customers in three north Brisbane suburbs will not be able to use their phones, even to call triple zero, for up to ten days.

Gaythorne, Mitchelton and Everton Park residents were informed by text they could lose service from 6am to 6pm weekdays as Telstra switches off its mobile base station while Brookside Shopping Centre carries out work on its roof.

“This means customers may have difficulty calling triple zero on a mobile device in the impacted areas, as customer’s devices will not be able to access the other operators’ mobile networks for triple zero calls,” Telstra area general manager May Boisen said.

Services will be disrupted from Tuesday to February 9 in Gaythorne, from February 12 to February 22 in Mitchelton and from February 23 to March 7 in Everton Park.

Telstra will deploy a temporary Cell on Wheels at Mitchelton and provide free calls and Wi-Fi at its payphones in those areas.

“We apologise for any inconvenience the disruption may cause but wish to advise our customers that the disruption is the result of third party works,” Ms Boisen added.

2 Likes

Talk about investments, look at the NBN disgrace, with copper wiring connecting to homes from fibre optics. What a rip-off… They all have faults, but Telstra wins the complaint department and their customer service is ghastly…

The NBN is not telstra it is a federal government business that allows resellers like telstra, optus, tpg IInet and many others to sell access to its system.

The NBN is essentially a mish mash, a frankenstein monster of cheap arse second rate technologies bought into its current pathetic life by a political solution dreamed up by none other than our illustrious PM Malcom Turnbull when he was the communications minister. If you are unhappy send him a email at the Australian Parliament.

3 Likes

As well as to the PM, include the current Minister for Communications, Mitch Fifield. Both are partisan, neither have any understanding of technology, and the state of the NBN speaks for itself as a testament to their abilities for same.

1 Like

The Government still has some shares in Telstra.

Very, very, few shares (as some finance commentators say it is “negligible”) if at all. The final two sales to remove the shares from Govt ownership, were from the Future Fund in 2009 & 2011 which had since 2006 held the remainder of the Govt shares.

Top 20 shareholders in Telstra from 2017 annual report (also similar for every year since at least 2014):

1 HSBC CUSTODY NOMINEES 2,138,397,318 shares
17.98%

2 J P MORGAN NOMINEES AUSTRALIA LIMITED 1,294,836,559 shares
10.89%

3 CITICORP NOMINEES PTY LIMITED 666,740,177 shares
5.61%

4 NATIONAL NOMINEES LIMITED 495,409,656 shares
4.17%

5 BNP PARIBAS NOMINEES PTY LIMITED 483,760,407 shares
4.07%

AUSTRALIAN FOUNDATION INVESTMENT 52,445,000 shares
0.44%

7 ARGO INVESTMENTS LIMITED 45,014,800 shares
0.38%

8 AMP LIFE LIMITED 39,852,515 shares
0.34%

9 NETWORK INVESTMENT HOLDINGS 36,418,851 shares
0.31%

10 UBS NOMINEES PTY LTD 35,090,007 shares
0.30%

11 IOOF INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT 30,750,085shares
0.26%

12 NAVIGATOR AUSTRALIA LTD 23,271,181 shares
0.20%

13 EQUITAS NOMINEES PTY LTD 23,218,179 shares
0.20%

14 NULIS NOMINEES (AUSTRALIA) 22,049,245 shares
0.19%

15 TELSTRA GROWTHSHARE PTY LTD 19,317,770 shares
0.16%

16 NETWORK INVESTMENT HOLDINGS 17,309,017 shares
0.15%

17 PACIFIC CUSTODIANS PTY LTD15,752,876 shares
0.13%

18 MILTON CORPORATION LIMITED 14,971,253 shares
0.13%

19 NETWEALTH INVESTMENTS LIMITED 13,329,383 shares
0.11%

20 RBC INVESTOR SERVICES AUSTRALIA 12,983,442 shares
0.11%

It is a long standing myth that the Fed Govt is still a Telstra Shareholder.

The NBN Co. purchased most of the Telstra Network to enable 2 critical benefits for the NBN. One was to get access to the Telstra Infrastructure (copper lines, conduit, pits, Exchanges) to make the move to install Fibre (and FTTN) a much simpler proposition and the other was to be the Backbone for the Telecommunications for the Nation (which until then had been owned by Telstra).

2 Likes