Are there any good apps to stop scam calls?

scam calls are so annoying but I have no way to stop them

I am using iPhone and have set up not to take call that is not on my contact list. However, this is not a good fix as the scammers leave voice mails that I have to check. Some are from overseas and some are originating from local calls.

I have looked into software like Hiya but the verdict is not clear. Some comments that they receive more robocalls after installing such apps

What would really work in Australia?

Thanks,

4 Likes

Welcome thirstylizard!
We just don’t answer numbers we don’t recognise and don’t have problems with people leaving voicemails. The only people who leave those are genuine callers in our experience. Maybe we’re just luckier than you.
Good luck finding a solution.

2 Likes

Hello @thirstylizard, and welcome to the community.

It’s annoying. Given, the callers numbers may be random, it seems unlikely any App will solve your problem.

Some mobile providers have a ‘voice to text’ service attached to their message bank. You receive an SMS for each caller.

Most scams and marketing don’t leave a message, hence the SMS says ‘Missed Call, no message was left’. If a message is left, the short SMS text is usually enough to determine whether the call needs attention.

EG Telstra

It’s not perfect, but avoids calling 101 all the time.
Once a week you can go to the message bank and delete all.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/features-and-services

It works for us. Optus used to offer a similar service. I think that has been discontinued?

1 Like

I currently have a Samsung phone which tells me when an incoming call is from a suspected ‘undesirable’. A dig into the settings shows that it is powered by Hiya. This is quite useful, and also allows me to report and block specific numbers.

If you are not already on it, I would strongly recommend enlisting on the Do Not Call Register (DNCR) - it doesn’t stop every scammer, but does stop a lot of unwanted calls. I shouldn’t admit this, but it is quite amusing when you get a call from a telemarketer, mention the DNCR, and hear an audible gasp on the other end. (Someone forgot to check!)

Unfortunately the DNCR doesn’t stop everyone. I got a robocall from one of my senators last night - something about “In these difficult times
” (that’s all I heard before hanging up). Politicians of course exempted themselves from the DNCR, but I was still able to block the number and report the call as spam - which I feel assists my fellow citizens.

In summary, Hiya and the DNCR appear to do the job for me in most cases.

1 Like

Hi thirsty.
The method I use is creating contacts, which you can then ignore. For instance I have a contact called Spammy McSpamface (my son named it, don’t blame me lol). When an unknown caller appears and I find that they are a marketing or political party (same things), I add the number to that contact and can ignore all calls from them in the future. You will find that you are adding quite a few numbers but modern phones allow a decent amount of numbers under the one contact. If you find you fill it and can’t add anymore, simply add another contact and fill that one.
From then on any missed calls, texts or voice messages from those numbers can be safely ignored, which frees you up to answer calls from unknown numbers. An important thing if you are in business or even as an employee in some industries - most people don’t like having to leave voice messages lol.

2 Likes