Are electric flame effect heaters good as a heat source

We are looking at putting in a flame effect electric heater. The ones I have seen in showrooms do not seem to put out much heat. Are there any that are good as a heat source to be able to warm up next to, like a wood fire.
I don’t want something that looks good, but does not give off much heat.

2 Likes

That kind of heater simply turns electricity directly into heat, whether it looks like a flame is neither here nor there as far as heating goes. The power rating will tell you how much heat it can put out.

AFAIK the highest power generally available is about 3600 w. Such heaters are not very expensive to buy but can be rather expensive to run. My power is going up to 25c/kWh so having such a heater on 4 hours a night would cost $3.60 a night. Your sums should use the rate you are paying.

2 Likes

I was wondering how the heat given off would compare with a wood heater. The electric fire ones I have seen in showrooms really don’t seem to give off much heat and can cost thousands of dollars. It seems a lot to pay for just the fire look. I don’t think they are worth the money for the amount of heat they give off.

Hi @JOHNP, welcome to the community.

Choice has covered electric fire places in the past:

The flame effect of an electric fireplace doesn’t give off heat like a fire in a wood fired heater. Electric fireplaces are generally a traditional convention heater with a simulated fire for ambience. The simulated fire has no heating effect.

On display in a store, it is likely they will have the simulated fire on, with the heating low to off (so the heater isn’t competing with the stores air-conditioning). The simulated fire in store is about attracting a customer attention and potential interest. It looks like it worked in your case.

3 Likes