Are Camcorders Now Obsolete?

When we bought a Sony HDRXR350V Handycam in 2010, we were very impressed with it in comparison to our first and only digital camera, an Olympus 4Mb model with x3 optical zoom.
I unpacked the Handycam this week so as to try to zoom in on the Mistletoe Birds feeding in the Native Mulberry tree using its x12 optical zoom.
Both batteries were completely discharged and the time & date and the location had reverted to their original factory settings. We had not used in since 2014.
After recharging the large battery and updating the settings, I attempted to photograph the birds. I could not even focus it on the right part of the tree let alone actually see the birds in the tiny 2.7” LCD display.
I took a number of photos all of which were very poor and none of which actually captured the birds.
No wonder we only use our smart phones for photos and video clips these days. My HTC Desire 610 has the same 1080p definition as the Handycam but, whilst lacking the optical zoom, I can see what I am photographing with its 4.7” screen and it is far easier to hold steady and operate than the Handycam.
Back when we bought the Handycam, we would see tourists and locals using camcorders everywhere around Cairns. I cannot recall seeing a single one in the last few years. Everyone is now just using their smartphones.

2 Likes

The two areas I think a dedicated video cam are superior are the eyepiece viewfinder (if used in daylight) and the lens. Most people however would not have enough requirement to justify the cost or hassle of having one if they have a smartphone.

3 Likes

Our Handycam does not have an eyepiece viewfinder, only the LCD screen, despite paying $1,220 for it.

2 Likes

I use a camera with 4k video function (whatever that means, I think it’s ‘good video’) and a great aperture so low light is excellent - has a viewfinder and screen which as @Geoff2 pointed out can be important. Mine is the middle ground between compact and detachable lens and around the 700$ mark - very happy with it.

The other thing I use is a couple of Go-pro Session - the little 1" cube - fun to use in all weather/conditions and a lot less drag at high speed on a helmet than a full size camera …

3 Likes

My video camera has been gathering dust for ages. I swore off Sony after some pretty dreadful customer service, and their (then) propensity for proprietary batteries. The last rechargeable one I had to buy from them was “superseded” and cost $120

3 Likes