Are airclean air condition filters worth the expense?

I got an email ad for https://www.aircleanfilters.com.au/ through an affiliate (AirTouch, which I have their product and contacted recently, so it’s not “cold call spam”).

They sell “better air conditioner filters” for $115+ (depending on the size of the filter), one-use, and have to be replaced once a year.

I haven’t found a mention of them anywhere and wondered whether they are worth it.

Some more background:

1. We have a relatively new Daikin ducted air-conditioner that this could fit.
  2. We are concerned about the air quality in the house, so better air filters are something we’d be interested in. The question is whether they actually deliver and are worth the extra expense.

Thanks.

2 Likes

A/C air filters are primarily to keep dust out of the A/C unit, not to purify the room air. The Daikin and others have a special insert’ that is supposed to help air quality but it is a fraction of the size of the filter and snaps on independently to the filter. The link you provided has a photo of a similar ‘installation’.

Considering how much air goes through these filters vs around them I personally struggle to understand their worth beyond perhaps affecting odours. Perhaps a spritz of room spray would do likewise?

When I bought my first Daikin I queried this and the installer admitted many owners do not bother with them and his personal (anecdotal) opinion is that their main affect is marketing.

Since yours is ducted it is a different story but the filter is still to keep dust from the A/C. A routinely used A/C’s filter would need replacement (or cleaning?) more than once a year because of dust clogging.

4 Likes

It would be worth asking Daikin technical support what they would recommend. It’s their system design, and they should have recommendations for what is most suitable.

When comparing filters it’s important to confirm whether the product meets recognised standards. HEPA performance ratings are commonly referenced for consumer products. When comparing two products it’s important to know which HEPA performance rating a filter meets. There is more than one!
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/what-hepa-filter

The pressure losses in a ducted system will include an allowance for the filter. A poor choice of filter may be too restrictive and cause a loss of performance, and increase running costs.

The design of the filter and media will determine the capacity of the filter (maximum weight captured before blinding or significant flow restriction). IE Two similar filters can offer a similar HEPA rating, however the media used and physical attributes may result in one needing replacing more frequently.

Whether a particular filter product offers better performance and value, one might need to try a number of different products to see how long they last. Assumes they also meet any performance requirements of the system supplier Daikin etc.

Note also there is related content on HEPA filtration at,

4 Likes

A further observation on the cost of replaceable filter panels. Panels can be purchased in a range of sizes and specifications. Trade suppliers offer packs of pleated filter panels including G4 or HEPA 8MERV rated. Two examples from a prominent trade supplier follow.

Noted the supplier of the $115 filter mentioned in the opening post in their FAQ indicates the product is a G4 rated pleated light grey filter panel.

It’s not evident what size the $115 panel mentioned in the OP is for a comparison?

2 Likes

Thanks. I noticed what they call a “Sanitiser” on their website but they hardly give information about it and at $25 to replace every 6 weeks it’s getting a bit dear quiet quickly.

Excellent point about how much the air quality will be different through the ducted aircon vs. around it.

We’ll go with saving the money and stick to the two air purifiers we already have.

1 Like

I just followed their instructions to measure my current filter which is 885mm by 385mm so it’s in their “Medium” range i.e. $125 per filter (allegedly to be replaced once a year).

1 Like