April Food Challenge - Favourite Fruit

My grandmother used lemon juice, but preferred sherry drizzled on cubed pawpaw. Never tried the sherry, but your post made me remember that one day I must…

7 Likes

And that all reminded me how much I like rockmelon drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar. Nomnomnom.

6 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Note that @Fred123 link is to a USA web site that promotes avocados, and not the Australia Govt food guide for healthy eating.

After a little time looking at Australian resources, the Aussie Govt remains silent (as far as I looked) on where avocados fit in. Perhaps they can count as either?

Dieticians Australia are very clear - they are a ‘fruit’!

Is eating more fruit and vegetables than the minimum recommended dietary guidelines bad for you? I suspect not as those who follow vegetarian or vegan diets can attest.

5 Likes

I would say generally no, but something like avocados which are high in natural fats (and relatively high in kJs) might be one not to overindulge with on a regular basis.

4 Likes

CSIRO’s Total Wellbeing Diet lists avocado as fruit, but counts it in the Healthy Fats/Oils category. Half an avocado is 3.8 Units, and the daily allowance (for me on Level 1) is 3 Units for the day. So if I had that, I couldn’t have olive oil to fry, marg on the toast etc.

6 Likes

That is because I could not find the website I had previously read.when I was searching how advocados and tomatoes are treated in the 5 + 2 guidelines.

4 Likes

According to the CSIRO’s Total Wellbeing Diet - eat as many vegetables as you like, the recommended Units are a minimum. Except Potato and Sweet Potato, which are listed under Breads & Cereals. Vegetables, on the whole, are low in kjs but have good trace elements, fibre etc.
Fruit should be limited to the Units - in my case 2 Units. Now a Unit of Fruit varies according to the fruit involved. A Custard Apple is 5 Units, an apple (eg Pink Lady) is 1 Unit, 28 grapes is 1 Unit, 10 Strawberries 1 Unit, an Orange is 1 Unit. It is all about balance.

6 Likes

Yes it is: nothing too much.

You may like to ignore this and become a fruitarian and give yourself B vitamin deficiency or kwashiorkor.

4 Likes

Cherries, Mike!
When cherries become plentiful I know summer is here.
If i get carried away and purchase too many, there’s a lot of beautiful ways to use them:
•make jam
•bake tarts and pies
•make smoothies
•top an ice cream cake with them
•make sauces
•make cherry brandy
•dip them in melted chocolate and let cool.

Just need to let our imagination go and enjoy those glossy delicious fruits :cherries:

6 Likes

Nectarines are my favourite too! :yum: Second & third favourites are watermelon & canteloupe. I usually get my years worth of fruit intake when these three are in season :wink:

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @Sallymac .Thanks for your input .

6 Likes

Have to give a big shoutout to mangos for the phenomenal mango lassis you can make in a blender.
Sweet, juicy and good for you. What more could you ask for from a fruit?

7 Likes

Yes! Baked lemon, grilled or in juice.
Brush the teeth after, though…

5 Likes

Mangoes! There are so many uses for them and they can be so deliciously sweet.

5 Likes

Hello, I love small black grapes, mango, white nectarine, custard apple, strawberry.

Basia. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Welcome @Basia
What a great selection! :yum::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes