April Food Challenge - Favourite Fruit

Another way to separate the mango flesh from the seed.

Of course, it is easier to wash ones fingers than to wash the glass.

4 Likes

The glass way seems to complicate the process. If you have the knife that has already cut the mango cheek then score and slice off the cubes of mango or as you say fold the skin back and eat the flesh off or pull it off the skin. Some people try to make simple harder than it needs to be.

6 Likes

They have to earn their celebrity salaries.

4 Likes

For those who like pineapples, at least the fruit and not the rough end, here is an amazing story.

5 Likes

I grow them in pots, no need to purchase after the first couple. Wait for at least one ā€œpupā€ to appear after harvesting the fruit then trim the pup/pups off and replant them, the old growth can be composted as it will not fruit again.

4 Likes

I agreeā€¦ the glass is also a bit of a risk and possibly not something to recommendā€¦if it is a thin walled glass there is a high chance that it may break causing sharp shards being held in the hand or falling causing injury.

I find that many of the hacks on nine/yahoo are risky and there seems to be determination by some to get hacks posted online/taken up by a news organisation no matter how ridiculous the ā€˜hackā€™ is.

We use a large dessert spoon to slip between the skin and fleshā€¦works a treat.

4 Likes

Peeling a mango? Desecration! Eat fresh as described by @grahroll further up the thread. That said, sometimes I want to eat with a spoon or put in a salad, and then I do the same as above, cut off the cheeks, score them down to the skin, and then carve underneath. You can score them so they are small cubes or as potential slices. it all works. Iā€™d never use a glass. EEK!

You might guess then that mango is one of my favourites. Navel oranges too. I get cravings for those. I like most/all fruit but those are the two I really really need to have :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I fillet them off the stone then cut to strips and skin them very thinly - takes 2 minutes max per mango maybe - then left with just the fruit and almost no waste.

6 Likes

On their backs on a cutting board, sliding the knife along the board from one end to the other, as you roll the strips a little?
I use that method when Iā€™m cutting up for fruit salads for guests who wonā€™t eat au natural. :wink:
Also works great for paw paw, rock melons etc.

5 Likes

Yes, I should have said, exactly like that - with a nice bendy, sharp and thin bladed knife - the same one I fillet them with ā€¦ the skin ends up almost translucent it is so thin ā€¦

4 Likes

I am not familiar with the passionfruit varietals. I donā€™t think we get a whole lot of choice in Sydney, but less sweet / more sour suits me :grimacing:

We get plenty of weeds growing from seeds distributed by birdlife, but none are edible :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

The main purple passionfruit varieties grown are Misty Gem and Sweetheart, and the major Panama passionfruit varieties are Pandora and Panama Red.

Itā€™s worth keeping an eye out, asking and tasting teach variety. The sweeter varieties might be a more universal choice for some tastes. Nothing wrong with that. Too many of us have been exposed early in life to just one variety and not warmed to the fruit.

Alternately,
The Panama varieties are my pick. Great as a sauce with a proper vanilla ice cream or in a fruit salad with mango and sugar bananas. Add a large dollop of whipped cream to taste, or not if your Cardiologist is around for a meal. Consider the seeds rougage. :wink:

4 Likes

Passionfruit - some people love the taste, but hate the seeds. I scoop ours out and rub through a sieve, save the seed (if the variety was good) and freeze in ice cube trays. Still looks good over ice cream, thicken a little to drizzle on Pav, drop one into drinks.

5 Likes

One that is a rare treat for us is the Monstera deliciousa fruit. Definitely needs eating when ripe, before that it is unappealing to inedible . Each segment is surrounded by a blackish membrane that should be avoided until the fruit is very ripe. It will feel like needles in the tongue and burning sensations in the throat particularly if the fruit is below or just on the point of being ripe. In the images below you will see the black from the segment membranes but these are ripe fruit so no ill effects should be apparent.

It is ripe when the segments separate and start to look like they are falling off and get a yellowish tinge on the top and the edges of the segment covers and the fruit inside looks yellow like a nice ripe banana. To me it tastes like a mix of banana, watermelon, passionfruit and pineapple with a hint of citrus and for others it has tastes of strawberry, guava etc in among the flavours. Often the plant used to be called the fruit salad plant because of the resemblence to a kind of fruit salad flavour many get when eating the fruit.

Images are from https://miamifruit.org/products/monstera-deliciousa

The extra benefit of these plants are their nice foliage that goes well in a home or outside as part of a tropical look. They will not fruit if grown indoors usually. The plants like moderate to bright light and can learn to tolerate full sun but as they are a forest floor plant from Sth America it is best grown where it gets itā€™s light needs not in direct full day sun. The fruit takes a long time to ripen (almost a full year) but the taste is worth the wait. You should definitely avoid letting children eat the foliage, and cats have been know to try it but it isnā€™t a good idea. The reason the unripe fruit and the leaves hurt is because they contain Calcium Oxalate (there is more in the leaves than the unripe fruit). Cats or children if they eat the foliage get stomach cramps and/or diarrhea as well as the burning sensation in the throat.

6 Likes

Your post reminded me of another exotic fruit that has not been mentioned so far.

5 Likes

Yummy!
One more of our edible weeds. They need occasional TLC or they will take over the garden, including climbing fences and trees. Once established they out complete most other weeds. Low maintenance and seem to avoid the fruit fly. :wink:

Favourite haunt of mosquitoes and snakes. The ripening fruit is irresistible to many locals, although the possums are more Python sized. Important if you have competition in the garden to take steps to protect when they do ripen. I prune ours back as needed with a bow saw.

6 Likes

The Kensington Pride Mango hands down! Is avocado a fruit because that would be way up there? Then there is passionfruit and fabulous pineapple. I must be a tropical kind of person!

9 Likes

Avocados, like tomatoes, are a fruit but are counted as a vegetable in the 5 serves of veggies and 2 serves of fruit daily dietary guidelines, so it is even easier for you to meet the quota.

6 Likes

I use pots for them and trim the tendrils they drop into the garden off. They certainly will spread if left unattended, inside they arenā€™t such a problem.

6 Likes

A surfeit of pawpaws last year led me to discover the difference lemon juice makes.

8 Likes