Apple Fails Consumers with deceptive and misleading advertising in its News App

I might leave my comments as follows:

Source:

Apple does seem to have an opinion on what is acceptable. Why set a standard if you are not going to apply it?

3 Likes

No, those standards are what they expect advertisers to meet in their submissions, they’re not a guarantee that you won’t find those things in ads. All ad platforms have statements similar to the one you posted. It does not stop them from hosting misleading ads either. There’s a reason for that - no platform can stop every single misleading ad.

Does Kore Health have any responsibility here? Why should Apple alone of all platforms have any standard to meet? How could they technically achieve this impossible standard that you want? Why should we upend existing principles and practices just because you found an ad for a knock-off watch, that did not fool you? So many unanswered questions.

Only one.

If not Apple, how are consumers able to enforce Apple’s standards?

If it all seams too hard to fix, does that not create the very opening some businesses exploit? It needs a simple solution. Apple, Google, Facebook etc have it within their ability to enforce a pre-approval of content rule for advertising, and charge a fee for doing so. Consider it a cost of doing good business. Perhaps as a consequence there would be less unsuitable and misleading marketing to be concerned with.

P.S.
There are Australian Govt bodies responsible for advertising standards. Whether KoreTrak as a business fall under their control who knows? Would they even be worried? The last time I went around the loop the ACMA took months to respond, the questionable advert was no longer current, and the complaint skilfully reinterpreted to ensure it did not require any action. I prefer a more direct solution.

Actually there were four there. While unanswered, I still see a complete lack of practicality and necessity in trying to force a new standard on digital platforms.

To force a new standard or any standard?

Where does doing nothing lead?

I’ve had my quota of comments on this one.
Hope none objects if I leave this open ended. The solution is not ours to provide. Arguing over practicality is a diversion that will add little. We may or may not agree there are problems with the reliability of advertising content served by Digital Media. Apologies to Apple for choosing their platform and News App as an example. Per the above they are not alone.

What’s practical and doable would be best asked of those we require to deliver a better outcome. Short of government direction it’s unlikely any practicality will be found, in the first instance.

2 Likes

Whilst scanning the internet for scams today, I came across this “incredible smart watch” at a bargain basement price.

I also came across these reviews for it.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/koretrak#:~:text=Don’t%20buy%20this%20watch&text=It%20Claims%20that%20it%20can,It%20does%20not.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08G2W1CG6

Obviously another shonky to avoid like the plague.

2 Likes

Hi Fred

I have moved your post to this existing one all about the shonky advertising of the KoreTrak product. It is still doing the rounds it seems from your current find about it.

3 Likes

Hi Graham,

I missed this existing topic but I did report it to MSN Australia as a scam.

Cheers.

1 Like

And another “smart watch scam” about “FITSWATCH”,

https://getfitswatch.com/article/au

2 Likes

All those positive comments and with photos but wait…the website disclosure “Any photographs of persons used on this site are models”…that should tell anyone reading the guff there that it isn’t real. Sadly I’m sure some will still be sucked in and their money wasted.

Further they state on their website “FitsWatch is proud to be an Australian-owned company” but no ABN or ACN and the contact phone and address are

"Need Help?

If you have any questions about your order or our products, please don’t hesitate to contact us:

By Phone: +1 (205) 809-7396

By Email: support [AT] getfitswatch [DOT] com (altered by grahroll to remove the active email link)

Company Address:

FitsWatch | 1605 John St, Fort Lee, NJ 07024, United States"

That address gets you:

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/fort-lee/1605-john-st-fort-lee-nj-07024--2005924904

3 Likes