Any experts here on the storing of trainers/runners?

If you still have the shoes, check the date of manufacture. This page shows where it might be found. It the shoes were old when you bought them, this might give some leverage for a better offer.

Given the limitations placed on the 20% discount, that offer might not be of much value to you.

2 Likes

I agree, lots of limitations and a time limit.

the undertag say’s MF 12/2019 does anyone know what this means in terms of dates manufactured?

My best guess is December 2019. If this is the right date, would this mean that New Balance had stored the shoes for a longer period of time than you did?

thats what I thought, how would I approach this with them?

Get accurate details of all dates, including when you purchased, when first used and when they failed. Also details of how much use before failure.

Do some research on shelf life. He is an example I found.

Get a friend to ask New Balance about the expected shelf life.

Assuming the above gives you a stronger case, reply to the recent email setting out your case, asking why you weren’t advised of a known issue at the time of purchase and stating that the curent offer is of little or no value to you.

2 Likes

Interesting article especially this section. The shoes were stored with the tissues etc still stuffed inside.

How To Store Unused Running Shoes

Keep your running shoes in their original box with paper stuffed inside the shoes stored inside a cool dark place between 50F to 80F protected from humidity. If you don’t have the original paper that came from the shoes, you can use a newspaper.

Understanding how to make your running shoes last longer while they’re being used and preserving them when they’re out of commission are two completely different stories.

Heat and humidity are bad for storing a pair of running shoes away for an extended period. The glue will break down faster, and the foam will soften and wear down when exposed to too much heat and humidity. On the other hand**, your running shoes’ foam will decompress and become harder if it’s cold**.

So you need to find a closet with moderate temperatures that won’t be exposed to too much moisture and humidity. If you’re not planning to use them right away, you can just keep them in their box, but if you’ve already taken them out, keep the paper in the box! It fits your shoes perfectly and will help absorb moisture. Doing this will not completely fix the deterioration of the materials in your shoes over time, but it will slow the process down.

2 Likes

This is definitely a known issue amongst the running community. I’m not sure of the science behind it but it’s potentially something to do with the type of materials that are used for the intended purpose. I’ve also had it occur with expensive orthopedic type shoes that have great underfoot support so perhaps they use similar polymers. The other issue with hanging on to them past a year or so, apart from visible disintegration, is that the undersole will no longer give your foot adequate support and could result in injury. My sports podiatrist is a stickler for testing out how my joggers are holding up every few months as perishing can place my ankles at risk of rollovers. I’m not convinced that this is a negligence issue on the part of manufacturers, so much as a downside of using the type of polymer that is required for purpose. I do agree though that there should be advice provided to consumers around this.

3 Likes

Here’s a tip. Save all those little sachets that come in various packages and stick them in the shoes. They absorb moisture.

I have had several pairs of shoes one stored away safety boots i wore in a previous industrial industry and had left for several years. I tried once and found out had rotted in the sole. Miraculous another pair had lasted for years but my foot would not fit into the shoe. Some materials must break down. I have seen written on skechers shoes bp claims part recyclable material has been used.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Tezza49

Your tip reminded me of a product used by one in the family who likes to climb.
Boot bananas!

There are various brands offering similar products. Look to a serious sports store or on line.

I had not worn a pair of formal shoes for about 18 months and they had been sitting in a shoe bag. I tried them on the day before we went on a cruise and they fell apart. Because most shoes these days are glued, not stitched, any environment that is warm, humid etc willl have a deleterious effect on the shoe. Had to race out to a DFO and get a new pair.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure my old pair of scarpa walking shoes were intact but my foot didn’t fit them.

1 Like

I’m not an expert, however I was told by the local shoe repairer that if shoes have been stored for a long time - used or unused - the soles will eventually disintegrate. It’s happened to me - although I’ve had the shoes for longer than 2 or 3 years.