Anchovy fillet jar half empty

I bought a 156 g jar of Mare Blu anchovy fillets in oil, thinking it was a reasonable price. However when I opened it, the centre of the jar was completely empty of anchovies. There were only anchovies around the outside of the jar. In fact there was only 78 g of anchovies in 78 g of oil. The nutrition label did not lie as there were 4.3 serves at 18 g per serve but I thought the packaging deceptive.

3 Likes

I have noticed this in the past as well. I am unsure why they do it, but suspect it could be for ease of filling the far to ensure the anchovy fillets stay as one fillet rather than broken.

I have also move to tinned anchovies as most unopened jars seem to leak oil/make oil residues from packing on their outsides making them sticky and one’s fingers smelly. Tins don’t have the same problem - the downside is tinned ones should be consumed soon after opening as the can isn’t suitable as a storage container.

3 Likes

These comments are true in my experience also. However, some other brands have the anchovies nicely packed around the outside of the bottle and the middle filled up any old how. I would rather have anchovy pieces than oil in the middle of my jar.

4 Likes