Almond milk

We’ve reviewed almond milk and found the almond content can be quite low for some brands. We also looked at:

• Homemade almond milk
  • Bought almond milk
  • Value for money
  • 30 almond milk products compared
  • Misleading claims from Almond Breeze in the US
  • Recipe – how to make your own almond milk

Find out more in our article:

3 Likes

We’ve had an interesting report from Melissa who got in touch over Facebook. She’s an almond milk drinker and noticed something a little dodgy with the So Good variety she bought the other day:

“I purchase almond milk for myself due to being lactose intolerant. I normally buy a fresh almond milk from the fridge section at Costco (brand is Inside Out), but the other day wanted to buy some almond milk for work so picked up a So Good Unsweetened Almond Milk from the fridge section of a supermarket as it was on sale. I noticed that the expiry date for the So Good one was significantly longer than my usual brand - So Good expired in April, where Inside Out & other fresh almond milk brands I’ve purchased (eg Nutty Bruce) have an expiry of about 1.5-2 weeks, similar to fresh cows milk. I asked So Good why this was the case via Facebook PM. Firstly they didn’t answer my question (responding that UHT has a longer expiry bc it is made differently), then when I clarified that I do not believe their almond milk in the fridge section really is fresh, they just responded that it was, with no explanation. It seems such a big discrepancy and I feel that they really are selling UHT almond milk but just labelling it as fresh so that they can charge a premium for it.”

We had a look at the ingredients for both the chilled and non-chilled varieties of So Good unsweeteened almond milk and they do vary slightly (more preservatives in the non-chilled variety) but not much. We noticed that the label does not say it’s ‘fresh’ only ‘chilled’ so we’re sceptical - as Melissa is - about the freshness of (and paying a premium for) this variety of almond milk. Storing it in the fridge seems like a nice opportunity for Sanitarium to cash in on the increased demand for fresh almond milk.

Melissa got in touch with Sanitarium to try and get an answer and received the following:

Pretty unsatisfactory explanation :-1: thought I should share this info for any almond milk drinkers out there! Let us know if you’ve had a similar experience.

2 Likes

Could it have been pasteurised rather than UHT treatment thus extending shelf life but not as much as UHT treatment? Why not then say it is pasteurised and not hide behind ambiguous terms like the “similar process”.

2 Likes

It’s a possibility!
Either way, the communication Melissa received from Sanitarium was pretty terrible. Don’t think she’ll be buying that almond milk again in a hurry.

2 Likes

A concerning article regarding the almond milk industry.

1 Like

Coping criticism for the content of my hot drink? Well of course this is a problem. I spend my day breathlessly waiting for strangers to put in the slipper because my choice in refreshment is ideologically unsound. You have to watch out, the gulags await the incautious sipper.

2 Likes

I have tried it once and don’t plan to try it again.

I love almonds, but find almond milk not a very palatable substitute for real milk.

3 Likes

And apparently not an enviromentally friendly one.

12 litres of water for 1 almond?

2 Likes

Likewise. You’re being far too polite. It’s absolutely disgusting.

2 Likes

27 posts were merged into an existing topic: Water intensive consumer products

Almond milk popped up in a click bait article one needs to click on to get to the meat of it :wink:

1 Like

I wonder what his girlfriend thought about that?

I remember buying sanitarium soy milk one time it eas pretty bad compared to vita soy. Maybe they should stay with breakfast cereal instead of alternative milk. Lets add sanitarium to the shonky list for soy milk.

1 Like