Aldi Mobile

Hi Choicers,
Now bearing in mind that I’m not the smartest tool in the shed when it comes to tech stuff, I’m sure you may be able to help. When I first got streaming services I didn’t have a mobile so I used my friends work mobile number, as you had to have one to sign up. My friend changed jobs, so I bought a Samsung A13 mobile. I was with Telstra for internet and my landline and for the cheaper choice, I went with Aldi for my mobile. As I use my landline for calls, I only use my mobile for texting or messaging people, plus sometimes using it to google stuff. Most of my searches and internet stuff is done on my tablet though. So when I suddenly started getting warnings from Aldi that I’d used half my data, it was really perplexing. A friend had warned me to turn off the the mobile data when I was out, so as not to chew through the data, which I always do. I only made a call when away from home once in a blue moon. So these warnings of using half my data, made no sense to anyone, especially me. That would happen roughly bi monthly. More interestingly, today I switched to a different mobile carrier, and five minutes after doing so, got a warning I’ve used 85% of said data. It turns out I’ve got 42 gigs of banked data I didn’t even know about (probably my fault). Like Telstra, Aldi put up thier prices twice last year, hence my reason for changing providers. If anyone can (simply) tell me why my sudden data drops may have occured, I’d really appreciate it. Thankyou as always.

1 Like

Phone calls and texts won’t normally chew up your mobile data allocation.

However, the phone itself is regularly “synchronising” with various remote services (Google, Samsung, email servers, etc) and downloading what can add up to a lot of data. For example, Google Play Store regularly checks for and downloads system and app updates. GPS and mapping apps will download updates of map data. And so on.

So you don’t want to let the phone routinely use your mobile data for that purpose.

When the phone’s connected to your home network, it should use wifi for these types of downloads, and that’s fine.

But when the phone doesn’t have a wifi connection, it will by default switch to mobile data (unless told not to do so). If it continues to do those sorts of downloads via mobile data, that could use up your allowance quickly.

But you can control how the phone uses the data: set the maximum amount of mobile data it’s allowed to use during any given billing period to something less than the allocation; and/or block particular apps from using mobile data at all; or turn mobile data off most of the time, and only turn it on manually when you need to use it - eg, to Google something or check a map when you’re out and about. Then turn it off again.

For Samsung’s general instructions about managing phone data usage, see

Come back here if you need help interpreting that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If on a plan where you pay monthly, you get a set amount of data for that month, for yearly then the amount of data is allocated for the entire 12 months and often can be used in any amount in any month until all data allowance has been consumed. During the month, whoever the Telco is (and not just ALDImobile) data use is monitored and when you reach 50% you will get a SMS warning about how much has been used. This warning is a Government requirement for any mobile service provider, I am fairly sure there are only 3 points and they are 50%, 85% and 100%. They may be sent in real time (sent as soon as you reach those points) or up to 48 hours after reaching those points. This warning system was put in place to reduce the chances of bill shock for users who may have been unaware of how much data they had used.

For ALDImobile (it may be similar for other telcos) when all your current monthly data is used up, then if you have any stored data accumulation (Roll over amount) this will then be used. If all your stored and current data are used then your Pay As You Go (PAYG) amount is used to cover data usage until that too is fully used up. When all data allowance has been used, then mobile data access is ceased until either a top up is applied or a new plan is purchased or renewal occurs.

I have in the past found the warnings helpful in that I could gauge if my monthly usage was covered by my current plan. I had to change my plan once, that ensured that my data allowance was adequate for my usage habits. I now have over a few years accumulated quite a substantial roll over amount, so no matter what SMS warnings I get about my current month’s data allowance I can safely ignore them. If it was consistent that I consumed my monthly allowance every month I would again move to the next higher plan.

If you are getting phone firmware updates (iPhones seem to have a few of these every year), this can quickly consume small data allowances. As @isopeda noted there are other background updates and checks that can be consuming data without a user being aware of all the background traffic, e.g., weather updates, email checks, GPS tracking of the phone location, Store App updates, and lots of others that if not controlled and monitored can also quickly chew up the smaller plan data allowances without much effort or notice. Checking what apps have permission to use mobile data and stopping the access of those not needing that access can help bring the usage under control. Googling also can be data hungry depending on the pages you may be loading from those searches.

From ALDImobile

" Why has my data use increased with my new smartphone?

Upgrading to a Smartphone

When you upgrade to a new Smartphone, you may find that it uses more data which will use up your credit faster.

If you don’t need to use data on your phone, you can turn it off completely. You’ll need to look for the settings to do this (look in your phones user guide for more information).

Control your data usage

Things such as weather and news apps can cause your phone to check regularly for updates, which can use your credit up quickly. You can prevent this from happening by closing down apps when you’ve finished using them, and by changing the settings so that your phone doesn’t update as frequently. You will need to look at the user guide for your phone to find out how you do this for your specific handset.

More information

You can read some more information about controlling your data use here:

2 Likes

Android phones, and I assume iPhones, have a setting to ‘only download updates when on WiFi’. Always have it set unless you have a very generous data plan or have no other choice (eg no regular WiFi access).

There are a few variations based on the particular phone brand but worth reading through a few of the common variations for the phone firmware/security as well as Google Play store options mentioned in this ‘conversation’

3 Likes

Not quite on topic, complementary note:

Default for iPhones when downloading updates with current versions of IOS is WiFi only. There us no provision to change the default. However the user is given an option for a pending update to use mobile data when there is no WiFi available.

3 Likes

I change several data settings routinely with each new / reset Android phone:

• Tell it to use only wifi to download updates.
  • Set the data limit for mobile data to something less than the monthly allocation, so it can’t use it all up without my knowledge.
  • Turn off mobile data when I’m at home or the phone’s connected to wifi elsewhere. This can make quite a difference to battery usage, especially if the mobile signal is low at home (ours is). The phone will be constantly checking for a better connection, and this can prevent it from going into deep sleep when not in use.
  • Manually turn on mobile data when out, but only while I need to access the Internet - eg to display my e-prescription’s QR code to the pharmacist.
3 Likes

Thankyou very much for the information. I will be changing the settings you recommended, to help me not use as much data as with Aldi previously.
Funny, but not funny this morning when I went to put the new SIM card in, on the first try, the tip of the needle snapped off in the little hole. Shocked the life out of me as I did not press hard, but then realised I’d bought said needles from the reject shop. Of course they’re going to be inferior quality. So after changing internet and phone providers to save money, I have to fork out money for someone to fix it for me. More frustrating is (as mentioned above) I’ve never even wanted a mobile phone. Never mind “S” happens as they say.

4 Likes

With my mobile being at home 95% of the time, my wifi should be getting used for above mentioned apps as you suggested. I do turn off mobile data when out and only turn it on to phone for a cab, and then turn it off again. I will peruse the Samsung info you sent me once I get the Sim card put in my phone, by the gentleman coming to remove the broken needle tip. As always thankyou for all your speedy, fact based information you all give me. It is VERY appreciated.:blush:

3 Likes

Sorry I meant to mention thanks specifically to grahroll, Phil T and mark_m as well as the above reply.

4 Likes