Aldi Ebikes

I have had an Aldi ebike for just over 3 years.
The bike would done under 1000kms and is in good condition. But the battery is kaput and I can’t get a replacement. I contacted Cell the manufacturers and they don’t make them or sell them anymore. The warranty is 2 years but I don’t feel this is acceptable and I’m unsure what to do.

1 Like

Hi @AussieM, welcome to the community.

Under the Australian Consumer Law, there is an expectation that businesses keep spare parts/consumables for a reasonable time. The length of time is depending the type of product, the value of the product and whether the product is what would be considered ‘cheap’ or high end brands.

As Aldi special buys are considered cheap in their product class, it could be expected that spares/consumables aren’t available for as long as dearer ‘high and brands’. Whether 3 years or less is a reasonable period to have spares available for ‘cheap’ products is debatable. Some may consider it is a reasonable times, while others may have an expectation of a longer period.

As the eBike is 3 years old, it could be seen as having a reasonable life based in its initial purchase price.

Notwithstanding this, you could try and return it to an Aldi store and see if they are willing to do a refund (full or partial). It is likely they won’t based in the age of the eBike and from the use it has had.

There may also be a temptation to try and source non-OEM battery to replace it yourself. I would be extremely cautious if doing such as there has been an increase in house fires and injuries/death from cheap lithium batteries of poor quality overheating causing fires or exploding.

Edit: It is a shame that the bike has become eWaste after 3 years. I am one who detests unnecessary waste and avoid buying ‘cheap’ one off type products which have limited support, spares/consumable and service life. Unfortunately Aldi’s special buy business model is to provide ‘cheap’ items which may be factory runouts, products from factories where they haven’t found a market or from one off type production runs. As such, the risks of having a dud product without support or spares is very high when one buys such products.

4 Likes

Two random hits from google, both suggest your 3 years of life from the battery is reasonable life.

That being the case, moving on to the availability of parts beyond warranty, noting many companies replace or refund rather than repair products even within their warranty period - eg they do not stock parts. The ACCC position includes the normal undefined words so common and problematic - see page 17.

The bottom line is your situation is a lesson in Aldi product ownership as well as for many ‘house’ brands. In Aldi’s case they sometimes require the manufacturer to repair under the warranty period and sometimes Aldi just does a full refund or replaces the product, all being compliant with the ACL. Afterwards trying to invoke your rights under the ACL for what is a low cost product that has provided a few years of service that edges into the expected range for the product class is likely futile.

As @phb noted it is possible to buy replacement batteries and I’ll add a good DIYer can replace ‘non-replaceable batteries’ but sourcing quality batteries can be challenging because any battery can overheat and spontaneously catch fire. Assume you went that way and succeeded getting your ebike going in top form but months later it caught fire and your house burnt. If your insurer discovered you had done that DIY it could nullify your insurance.

Have a think about the risks and rewards. In your situation if I had an outside store away from anything combustible I might have a go. If not I would move on and as a lesson learnt buy a name branded replacement where parts would more likely be available for many years.

4 Likes

Some places can refurbish the battery using new cells and sometimes the controller card. One such business is Battery Doctor https://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/battery-repacking-/-refurbishment.html, I have not used this business so this is not a recommendation but just purely as an example. There will be other businesses who undertake this, though Battery World limit their service to NiCd and NiMh batteries.

Some further examples

https://activeelectronics.com.au/hobart/?page_id=1243

5 Likes

Thank you for the thoughtful advice. I understand that 3 years might be reasonable life for a battery, but not being able to replace it is not acceptable.
I’m unsure what I will do next.

4 Likes

Not sure these are anything useful

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-aldi-electric-bike.html

“Charger Entity EBC-200, output 42V 2A, Australian connector (ST charger)
Battery Entity EBR-100, 36V 7.8AH, with battery lock, Samsung cell smart battery|”

5 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions… I still find this unacceptable from a major corporation like Aldi.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Electric Scooters The Commuters friend - Not!

Hey mate

where do you live region wise of Australia? Someone decided they needed my folding e-bike more than I did but I’ve been unable to give them the battery as they neglected to tell me a few things like they were in fact taking it, their name, where they lived, how much they valued their left hand etc.

I’ll be happy to send it your way if you’re happy to pay for shipping. Might be pricey shipping due to weight and it containing hazardous material?

The bike and battery had done just over 500 kms.

Thanks … I live in Bathurst NSW