Airports - the gold standard of monopoly?

We visited the Cairns Airport yesterday so our 3 grandkids could fly home, and as they were unaccompanied minors, they were told to board last, (Row 30, back of plane), and my wife had to sign them in at the Boarding Gate.

Qantas advised that the boarding would be called by seat rows and for all other persons not to approach the gate until their seats were called.

When boarding commenced, rows 25 to 30 were called, some 36 seats minus our grandkids 3 seats, and about half of the waiting passengers lined up.

Rows 15 to 25 were then called and most of the remaining sheep queued up.

When the remaining seats were called, aroung 30 people then queued up…

The idiots who ignored the call up instructions also totally ignored the posted and announced social distancing instructions and packed up behind each other like sardines.

Fortunately our grandkids were not subjected to this stupidity as they were getting on last.

Whilst we were waiting at the airport, I read the signage on the large imitation water bottle in the departure lounge which was for people to put their empty refundable drink containers in.

It proudly boasted that the Cairns Airport planned to collect 100 tonnes of containers this year so as to prevent them going to landfill. No mention of where all the refund monies would be going but I only need one guess.

With a 375ml can weighing some 15gm and small PET bottles around the same, 100 tonnes would equate to around $667,000.00 per annum.

A nice little side hussle in addition to all their other ripp-offs

1 Like