Airports - the gold standard of monopoly?

Or approx $2.00 at the current exchange rate at the 7-Eleven store JR Kanazawa Japan.

Yes it’s a slightly smaller 500ml bottle.
Return Economy Airfare not included. :grin:

2 Likes

An article and videoclip regarding airport retailers requesting assistance in getting fairer rents from airport operators.

You have to love the blatant hypocrisy of Brisbane Airport management in claiming that the retailers’ prices has nothing to do with them.

Nothing to do with skyhigh monopoly rents?

I took my wife and her sister to the Cairns Airport this morning to catch a flight to Melbourne, and to my amazement, there was building work occuring all over the domestic terminal.

There is a $55 million upgrade underway less than a decade after the previous $200 million redevelopment of the domestic terminal was completed.

That followed on from the original construction of the new combined domestic and international terminal in 1984 and the construction of the new standalone international terminal for $80 million around 1990.

Whilst the terminal was crowded, the retailers certainly were not with the Australian product store having just 2 or 3 persons browsing during the 30 minutes I waited inside the departure lounge for my wife and her sister to get checked in and through security.

I departed in under 1.5 hours after I parked our vehicle after paying $11 for the “privelege”.

“Airports - The Gold Standard In Monopoly”? Yep. With the crown jewels embedded.

Yes, noted Townsville would have cost you only $8 for that long under cover.

https://www.townsvilleairport.com.au/parking-transport/parking-information

But wait it would have cost you $23 at Brisbane Airport, domestic drive up casual rate for 1-2hrs.

Don’t be fooled by the book on line and save. It is a limited offer and for up to one hour only. Maybe long enough to say goodbye. Certainly a risk for arrivals.

1 Like

Could be that airport terminal refurbs could replace rebuilding sports stadiums every few years as politically opportune ways to throw money into the ‘right’ pockets and attract votes at the same time? :roll_eyes:

OTOH SIngapore Changi has been a proper success story with visionary development. Could it happen here? I slap myself and come back to reality.

3 Likes

My wife’s Jetstar flight yesterday was delayed by 1.5 hours but we were fortunate to find out before we left home so we departed later and I parked in the uncovered carpark.

If we had left at the original planned time and I had parked in the covered carpark, I might have needed to mortgage the house or sell a kidney to pay the charges.

1 Like

From the attached article:

“Australia’s four major airports have collectively increased their aeronautical profit almost every year over the 17-year lifespan of the ACCC’s monitoring. This may illustrate the benefit of being a monopoly.”

Indeed, it may …

The profitability of car parking continued to fall overall, as travellers explore alternative ways of getting to and from airports.

Perhaps having the attitude of a monopoly isn’t helpful :wink:

5 Likes

We visited the Cairns Airport yesterday so our 3 grandkids could fly home, and as they were unaccompanied minors, they were told to board last, (Row 30, back of plane), and my wife had to sign them in at the Boarding Gate.

Qantas advised that the boarding would be called by seat rows and for all other persons not to approach the gate until their seats were called.

When boarding commenced, rows 25 to 30 were called, some 36 seats minus our grandkids 3 seats, and about half of the waiting passengers lined up.

Rows 15 to 25 were then called and most of the remaining sheep queued up.

When the remaining seats were called, aroung 30 people then queued up…

The idiots who ignored the call up instructions also totally ignored the posted and announced social distancing instructions and packed up behind each other like sardines.

Fortunately our grandkids were not subjected to this stupidity as they were getting on last.

Whilst we were waiting at the airport, I read the signage on the large imitation water bottle in the departure lounge which was for people to put their empty refundable drink containers in.

It proudly boasted that the Cairns Airport planned to collect 100 tonnes of containers this year so as to prevent them going to landfill. No mention of where all the refund monies would be going but I only need one guess.

With a 375ml can weighing some 15gm and small PET bottles around the same, 100 tonnes would equate to around $667,000.00 per annum.

A nice little side hussle in addition to all their other ripp-offs

1 Like

A massive takeover bid for Sydney Airport.

Nothing quite like a good monopoly.