A cordless secateurs review

I am accustomed to using bypass pruners (secateurs) to trim fruit and other trees at this time of year. This involves hours of climbing ladders and squeezing the tool thousands of times. I decide this year there was going to be a better way so I bought a Ryobi 18v cordless (brushless) pruner.

There is a less powerful non-brushless version that goes for about $180 with battery and charger. The brushless cost me $299 but you could probably get it for less. If you already have the right battery and charger the tool only is cheaper.

So after a few days use here is my review.

Easy to get started?
Yes. Charges quickly and assembles easily, very simple.

Easy to use?
Yes. You put it around the branch like a manual pruner and squeeze the trigger.

Do the job?
Yes. Advertised to cut 28 mm green branch and 22mm dry branch at 1 second intervals, which it does. You will still have to reach for long-handled loppers or a saw for thick branches but it does well. As you release the trigger the blade retracts, I haven’t jammed it yet. If you overload it the sound changes and it just stops - no magic smoke released.

Ergonomic?
It is very little strain on your hand compared to manual pruners, it takes little to pull the trigger. Very suitable for those without strong hands. If you were fit enough to run up and down ladders that long you could keep going for hours, or even all day. However it is heavier (800g) than a typical manual (200g) pruner so you will start to feel it in the supporting shoulder after a few hours. It pays to be ambidextrous.

Professional standard?
Possibly not but for the 40 trees I am doing it is just fine. Keep in mind a more powerful one will be heavier too.

Battery life?
Advertised as 1000 cuts per charge which I believe. If very serious you could have a spare battery.

Safe?
It could cut your finger off if you are clumsy. I have knives in the kitchen that can do the same and tools in the shed that could take off your hand. If you adopt the work flow of holding what you want to cut off 20-30 cm away from the cut with your off hand the chances of falling off the ladder are greater than cutting yourself.

Durable?
I don’t know yet but it comes with a 6 year replacement warranty out of the box. I have used Ryobi for years and while not top of the line I find them reliable. Blades are stainless steel, can be sharpened and are replaceable.

Gripes?
It goes to sleep after a specified time of non-use. I find this too short and you have to wake it up by holding down the trigger. It is bulkier than the manual version which makes it harder to get into tight spots, you may have to come at it from a different angle.

Value for money?
Good.

Recommended?
Yes. I am not going back to manual.

11 Likes

Hopefully just the first of a whole range of battery tools that can compensate for older hands. I was looking at battery garden pruners. Effectively mini arborist’s saws able to trim heavier branches. EG Stihl GTA 26 pruner. There are a number of other branded products including pole mounted for increased reach.

3 Likes

Those kind of skins (tool only equipment) are available in the Ryobi system - and no doubt others too.

4 Likes

I agree with you. I also got the brushless model. I have been using mine for about 2 years. I have a number of issues with my hands as a 77 year old and this tool allowed me to continue looking after my Darwinian garden. I use it to also cut down branches into smaller bits so I can get more into my green bin.
I can now get 3 times more prunings into my bin. I clean the tool after each days usages and run a diamond file lightly over the blade.
One of the better tools in my collection.

3 Likes