5 1/2 year old LG 55 inch curved OLED TV dies and is irreparable

Hi Choice Community

In late 2015 my parents bought a $2700 55inch LG old television which they’ve loved.

It has not moved since purchase and has stopped altogether a couple of months ago. LG came to assess the tv and said it is irreparable and offered $450 compensation.

A new base model LG oled 55 inch tv, now costs $2100 on sale.

I know the warranty is only 12 months, but I don’t think the offer is a fair amount given:

• it was such a substantial purchase,
  • it is irrepairable and
  • a replacement is so expensive.

LG no longer reply to me.

Do you think its worth taking this to VCAT on the basis of the Consumer Law , or do you it’s ok to be irreparable after 5 1/2 years?

Hi @DebG , welcome to the community.

It would be line ball as the TV has some age and it would not be known how much use it has had. If it is a high use TV, then 5 ½ might be seen as reasonable. If it is an average use TV, then one would expect it to last about 8 years on average (LG TVs would be classed as a midrange brand). If it was a low use TV in ideal operating environment, possibly longer. The challenge will be proving that it it should have lasted longer based on the history of use and the environment it was kept.

What form is the compensation?:

• cash refund - this may be acceptable as you can use this to buy any TV (other than LG):
  • credit to be used to buy another LG TV - this is less desirable if you don’t plan to buy another LG TV.

The other thing to think about is LG will state that they have offered compensation for the TV as goodwill (goodwill as it is outside the manufacturer’s warranty). If you take it to VCAT and lose, you might end up with nothing. If you win, the resolution from VCAT could be the more, same or at worst, less than that already offered. It is likely that LG would withdraw the offer for compensation before VCAT, so there is a gamble taking it to VCAT.

To be successful at VCAT, other than trying to prove the length use was not reasonable based on the TV’s history, you might also need to see if there is any history of the particular make and model having unreasonably short lives. This can be done by internet searches. If there is a trend that the particular model (and year) has a unreasonable short live with other consumers, this may support a claim that the TV model is defective and this resolution is required. Would resolution be better than that currently offered by LG - it is very much ‘how long is a piece of string’.

4 Likes

Thanks for the considered reply. I shall do some research regarding reliability.

I really object to it being irreparable. That’s my main issue. We dont even have an option to pay for a repair. I think they should hold parts for a product like this for 10 years but I know a ‘reasonable’ period is subjective.

Thanks again DebG

2 Likes

Sorry, but welcome to the modern world. It is cheaper now to replace many common electrical and electronic devices than to repair them, and manufacturers do not design for repairability.

You could try getting a non-LG electrician to look at it, but they will probably only be able to tell you that they cannot fix it - and charge you for the call-out. That said, it depends to some extent what has gone wrong. Is there any indication of why it stopped working?

2 Likes

I accept the ‘irreparabilty’ of minor or small electrical items, but not a significant purchase like this.

I also had no idea that it was ‘normal’ for often used TVs to only last 5 years - as you say - welcome to the modern world. On a $3000 tv that’s over $500 per year. Nope on that basis they should be repairable.

I won’t pursue any private non-lg repairer. I am however, disappointed that LG didn’t come at least half way to the cost of a new tv given there is no option for a professional repair.

Oh well only thing I can do is share my experience and not buy LG.

3 Likes

Below is a link to the same or similar model on ebay. With 25 hours of bidding to go, the current offer is for $510. Unless the bidding goes a lot higher, an offer of $450 for a non-working model might be reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/294424867055?hash=item448d16f0ef%3Ag%3AVrMAAOSwSuFhUuIO&LH_ItemCondition=2500%7C3000

It might be worth getting the view of a third party repairer. If you can explain the circumstances of the TV not working, that may be able to give an educated opinion about whether it is likely to be repairable and if so, the possible costs. As an example, it he TV simply lost power, they may be able to fix it by replacing a part costing around $100.

1 Like

Such good info and advice. Thank you

1 Like

Btw the circumstances are that the tv began to fade (I think it’s my parents TV) but sound continued and within a short period nothing worked. Now when the tv is switched on there is no sound and no vision no ability to use the menu.

I’m considering buying them the 2nd hand one. I notice it is made in Korea. There TV is a couple of months younger and made in Indonesia.

1 Like

Several of our family have purchased well brand new from Aldi at very keen prices. Not the bleeding edge, but perhaps another option?

1 Like

A footnote is that field replaceable units (eg parts) have become ‘large complex units’. Once upon a time way back a tech could find a blown capacitor and replace it, or a worn out valve, but no more. Now it is the entire mainboard full of surface mount devices that require special tooling, skills and purpose designed diagnostic equipment.

The time and equipment to isolate a fault let alone repair it could cost more than replacing the product so many warranties are replacement style these days. ‘Right to repair’ and ‘Can We Fix It?’ are other Community topics.

4 Likes

Have you given LG a serve on Product Review as yet?

1 Like

Do your parents live near the ocean, or an airport, or heavy industry, or construction sites? All of these can reduce the life of electronic and white goods from particulate residues landing on sensitive componentry.

3 Likes

Possible, and if close to even a fish and chips shop the electrical noise generated from high capacity fryers can reduce the life of anything electronic. Most don’t give a thought to that - a UPS or line filter is advised. Some electronic products are more susceptible than others.

3 Likes