4TB for $129, is that correct?

Seems price is too low, when I Google it I can’t see a price anywhere near that.

7 Likes

Amazon have it at $149 or thereabouts, considering conversion rates that seems pretty close.

https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aseagate+4tb&page=2&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=seagate+4tb&ie=UTF8&qid=1532655230

6 Likes

The best I can find on staticice is $160.50.

5 Likes

That’s about what I paid fora couple a few months ago - if anyone can find them for 129$ please let us know where :slight_smile: I’ll be in for three …

Clarification: price quoted by @Drop_Bear is about what I paid - 129 is a steal!

Perhaps we need a truffle-dog section of the forum where people can contribute super hot pricing?

5 Likes

As an aside, these drives make great additions to devices like a Raspberry Pi …

Not super quick - but ample for my needs and spread across a couple of nodes for redundancy where needed. The Pi powers the 4TB Seagate - my other two 3TB drives are in a powered raw drive caddy on this node …

4 Likes

$149.52+ $10.81 delivery from Amazon Australia

3 Likes

If you aren’t a member of Prime it may cost for delivery but most online stores will also have postage attached at the cart/checkout. If you trial Prime for 30 days or if already a member of Prime you can get them postage free which saves about $10 in postage.

There are other benefits to Prime membership such as “free” e-books, free streaming of some shows and other media via Amazon Video (need a reasonable connection). You need to weigh up the cost of continuing your membership after the free period and your internet connectivity and or your shopping habits will have a great bearing on this.

5 Likes

Absolutely true. Due diligence is an essential requirement.

In this case all the other prices I saw started at about the Amazon price including postage, so even if they had free postage, it would have been more expensive. Staticice, which @Drop_Bear referred to, is my go to for competitive pricing.

For all purchases I look for the cheapest price delivered to my door from a reliable supplier (unless it is close to our home in which case can I drive to pick it up).

6 Likes

Sounds very low. That said, external drives are often priced more cheaply than their internal counterparts (I have no idea why, given that the former costs more being mounted in a hard shell etc.).

3 Likes

It is because they tend to use the cheapest drives in the external ones, they are not expected to be always on and connected/reading/writing. They tend to use the “Green” drives, the ones that are designed to use less power because they are idle. This reduces the cost significantly compared to the internal drives which are normally designed for heavier usage.

Western Digital (WD) use the colour coding more than other suppliers. They have Green (Eco drives similar to Blue but lacks a bit of performance in comparison), Blue (first of the normal desktop use ones), Black (top of the range desktop ones), Red (NAS drives, RAID designed/optimised), Purple (for surveillance usage 24/7 eg Security recorders) & Gold (mostly used in Data Centres)

4 Likes

I have encountered the colour-coding in the past, but from what I have seen the most reliable drives are HGST.

It would be interesting to see whether the manufacturers have different production lines, or base the drive classification on how well it makes its way through production (as CPU and other IC manufacturers often do).

3 Likes

HGST is wholly owned and manufactured by WD since 2012. They acquired it from Hitachi who originally owned it in partnership with IBM.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for pointing this out. The price we paid was actually $179 from Officeworks where it’s now showing as $199 online. We’ve corrected the price on our website to reflect the price we bought it for ($179). There are some online vendors selling it for cheaper, but keep in mind you may have to add on delivery costs. Apologies for any confusion.

7 Likes

La la la I can’t hear you la la…

HGST makes great hard drives. Fantastic hard drives!

1 Like