12 Volt Smart TV for Caravans and RVs

We are looking to purchase a 24’’ or 28’’ 240/12 Volt Smart TV for our caravan. There does not appear to be many on the market and was looking for advice from the community if anybody has bought one and if you have had any problems with them.

4 Likes

An alternative is a TV tuner dongle, so that you can watch TV on your computer monitor, avoiding the need for a separate, hard to come by, 12V appliance. If you want a size larger than your computer screen, a separate monitor would need to be purchased.

5 Likes

We were looking for a small TV 32” and also found the market very limited. We found the only options for smaller were the cheapies at Target, BigW etc.

EG
https://www.target.com/p/lg-24-class-720p-60hz-led-hdtv-24lf454b/-/A-15193616#lnk=sametab

It may be worthwhile sticking to a well known brand and retailer. It’s not evident if the LG model has a separate 12v DC input or power brick.

4 Likes

Why not consider a 12V DC to 240V AC inverter with a capacity to handle the expected load. Then you can run other 240V AC stuff, not just the TV.

5 Likes

I bought a 12VDC/240VAC Kogan 24" Smart TV for our caravan when they were first offered at $169. The sound quality from the internal speakers is awful and the only Audio output available is from the 3.5mm headphone jack - no RCA jacks for Audio out. When connected to a sound system the Audio is fine. The Smart TV function works extremely well. There are one touch buttons on the remote for netflix and U Tube and a couple of other sites. The price went to $199 recently.

4 Likes

Due to the possible jolting during Caravan travel the TVs need to be a bit more rugged than your home one. Hence the greater price. I am on a couple of caravan sites and the general consensus the cheaper ones do not last too long. I have just purchased one for my caravan and agree only a few brands to choose from. Probably due to a limited market demand compared to those for home use.

1 Like

Welcome @yvonnesh.
What a good point! TVs do have to be pretty rugged, as do lots of other things, to cope with a mobile environment.

This is a beaut 12 v TV - available also from Retravision.
https://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General%20Htmls/webcat2003/tvequip.html

De-mount it when travelling.