Yet another new phishing expedition

I did say repeated calls. That of course means the same calling number.

Yes, potentially. Depending on the phone technology there is an exploit where they call about something or other, the call ends, or you think the call has ended but actually they are still on the line but playing you the dial tone, so the next time you make a call, you are actually communicating with them. (AIUI, this works on landlines only, not on VoIP and not on mobile.)

In the mobile space, there are a range of exploits relating to unexpected message types, backdoor diagnostic functionality, SIMjacker exploit (as distinct from SIMjacking), etc. More functionality => more bugs.

So yeah it is right to be cautious with unrecognised callers / senders.

Simjacker is about an SMS exploit, not about answering an incoming phone call.

1 Like

Which exploit, phone models/OS and would it not be patched?

It’s very evident if one is paying attention on both the phones I use if a call is still active. Especially if one proceeds to make another call with the icon showing there is a call on hold or wait and not hung up. One is Android the other Apple. Yes, it’s possible if one is not paying attention for the latest call to remain active. We’ve all done that. Easy to overlook and attribute to a defect in the phone.

1 Like

Patched?? As stated: AIUI, this works on landlines only, not on VoIP and not on mobile.

It’s also technically not a bug, but intended behaviour. So it would be “controversial” if this functionality were removed within the fixed line phone network.

Totally. Just illustrating the weight and diversity of bugs.

The poster to whom I was responding did go on to mention receiving a dubious text message too.