Women Consumers

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s my belief too, but I wonder if the advertising gurus, agree with us?
Surely companies rely on those researches to attract the majority of consumers, and yet in the opinion of many they get it so wrong!

2 Likes

Absolutely. I know of many cases of households where she is the careful one looking for value and he is the impulsive one looking for instant gratification. In one case he had to buy a very expensive Christmas present for one of the children (vicarious living much?) at a time when they were struggling to pay the rent.

Women get stereotyped for spending on clothes and looks. Consider how often “boys’ toys” are much more expensive and just as much not value for money.

3 Likes

I’m in the market for a ladies shaver, I’ve had the current one for many years and it’s falling to bits. From the internet I can see that there’s a great and varied range to choose from, but the majority come in the Pink colour!
The last time I had a pink item was my rattle as a baby :laughing:

The photo in the ad for a travel shaver (below) is cute, but makes me feel uneasy: would the same be done with a man’s shaver?

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation, Gaby, I have a Panasonic men’s shaver that is blue. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Wonder if it’s in the shape of a man’s
tummy and upper legs? :laughing::rofl:

PS my old ladies shaver is also (pale) blue :laughing:

1 Like

I dislike most pinks.

1 Like

I think a product should be presented on the basis of its performance, reliability, good value for money, and so on, regardless if it’s a product aimed at men or women.
I resent the psychology of the pink colour: soft, sweet, comforting, being used to attract women consumers.
It is a patronising and disrespectful means of persuasion which one would think belongs to a past era.

1 Like

Just like kitchen knife sets? Utility and functional form? Available universal left and right handed, choose a style and size to suit every need. :wink:

Colour coordination of other kitchen necessities would seem optional, pastel pink is yet to catch on?

:joy::joy:
Stating the obvious, once is enough. Too much pink!

On a tangent, I wonder how many would suggest pink and feminine is perhaps limited to a narrow view point, and marketing genius.

Apparently it’s recent, and possibly down to male thinking?

On a poll, how many of us see gender colour identification as more than just a marketing tool, in a positive or negative way? It’s a great question @Gaby.

2 Likes

Yes, that was too much :laughing:
I was trying to upload a photo of knives with pink handles, but got the same one instead :expressionless:

In the psychology of colours there’s a whole gamut of which ones influence us and how, for example Blue gives as a feeling of stability and reliability etc etc.
It seems that Pink gives a feeling of comfort and softness (Motherhood?)
It makes me aware that at the same time the ‘softness’ could be seen as easy to be taken advantage of in the commercial world?

4 Likes

Here’s a Ruby Hutchison appreciation post for International Women’s Day!

Ruby is not alone either. Many of the early participants in our organisation came out of the Housewives Association movement. These organisations, which emerged in the early 1900s in Australia, were a driving force behind the consumer movement - they were early campaigners against profiteering in relation to food and household goods.

Plus, many other prominent women in Australian society have played an important role in CHOICE over the years since we were founded. Just to name a few:

• Philippa Smith, who led our policy team early in our career then went on to be Commonwealth Ombudsman
  • Louise Sylvan, CEO of CHOICE, who went on to be Deputy Chair of the ACCC and Chair of the National Preventative Health Agency
  • Jenni Mack, our former Chair who was the key driver behind the establishment of Super Consumers Australia
  • Nicole Rich, another former Chair who is now the head of enforcement at Consumer Affairs Victoria.
9 Likes

Do you realise it is across the board for the target of male/female shoppers. Check out Shampoo as an example. Different package but breakdown of same contents with perhaps different colour and or perfume and MORE EXPENSIVE FOR FEMALE BRAND.
Check it out.
The other items I have found variable is different prices for hair care products. Blonde hair clips and ties are cheaper than brunette.
Time to buy for price people not colour or sex!

6 Likes

I prefer attended checkouts to minimise my exposure to the warm and friendly recorded voices telling me and 15 other people what to do - each slightly offset until it’s a cacophony - and exhorting me to “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s already there, then waiting for someone to come and reset.

5 Likes

Not according to the latest public opinion poll?
Blue is an old fashioned colour long associated with the Queen Mother (departed) and how the world used to be before global warming, the internet and glass ceilings. Teal would now rate as the in fashion colour. :+1:

1 Like