With NBN, distance from node determines speed

You can be assured Choice staff pay attention to these topics, as well as those looking for information or having related problems. Hence we sometimes merge topics into pseudo-encylopedic threads to suit the latter, knowing the former also are cognizant of posts such as yours…

4 Likes

You may be able to log into your modem to see what your Maximum Line Rate is for Uploads and Downloads
Gateway

As you can see My Maximum Line Rate from the Pillar (Usually Next To the Green NBN Box) is set to 136 Mbps Download and 51 Mbps Upload, and My Actual Line Rate for My 50/20 Plan is Actually 60 Mbps Download and 22 Mbps Upload.

There is approximately 150-200 Meters of Copper from the Distribution Pillar to the Telephone Socket in My Unit. I usually get a fairly constant Download rate of 54-56 Mbps.

3 Likes

I assume that this is what you are referring to but with a different name.

FRITZ!BoxConnectionDSL Central Exchange

60,10 Mbit/s
22,60 Mbit/s

DSL version

DSL active since:
5 days, 23 hours, 26 minutes
VDSL2 17a G.Vector (ITU G.993.5)

Broadcom

Negotiated Connection Properties

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 60104 22600
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 64 -
Attainable throughput kbit/s 104120 33632
Current throughput kbit/s 60103 22600
Seamless rate adaptation off off
Latency fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP) 40 45
G.INP on on
Signal-to-noise ratio dB 19 14
Bitswap on on
Line attenuation dB 19 25
approximate line length m 462
Profile 17a
G.Vector full full
Carrier record B43c B43c

Error Counter

Seconds With Not Remediable Errors (CRC)
Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES) per
Minute Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 0 0 0 0
Central exchange 0 0 0 0

I was Talking about the VDSL Modem that MyRepublic sent me when I connected to the NBN,
You log in through your web browser using the address http://192.168.1.1/ then log into the modem using a Username and Password.
And you go to the Broadband Tab to see the Stats about your connection.

1 Like

Thank you for your post re your My Republic’s supplied Modem available line speeds for your connection and also clarifying who the provider of your connection is. The steps you have provided may be useful for other users of this provided hardware.

Some people may not use the supplied Modem nor may they be using the default IPv4 DHCP server and Gateway addresses. The information supplied by @Fred123 is basically the same as yours but because it is a different modem it has a different way to display the same information and may be through a different provider as well. Due to it being the nbn™, who the Provider is should have no bearing on the available line speed at a premises, it will be distance from the Node and the copper condition.

2 Likes