Windows 10 and now Windows 11

An online seller with some cards that haven’t changed much in price

https://www.mwave.com.au/graphics-cards/nvidia-graphics-cards?sortid=1&display=list

Some price comparisons

https://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1314255030_Gigabyte_2GB_GT710_PCI_E_VGA_Card

3 Likes

My apologies - I have been looking at higher end cards and the prices for them are currently stratospheric.

I don’t think those cards would be much good with games, but they can probably drive a Windows display just fine - even in 4K - as long as you don’t demand too much of them.

4 Likes

Ahh OK, sorry about the misunderstanding I was responding about @Fred123’s machine which doesn’t need great specs. Currently it is just just using the built in 2014 graphics ie the Intel 4600 one. The ones I posted allow the DX12 requirement to be met so only then the TPM which for many of us is going to be painful even with new machines.

You might want to ensure your new machine has the TPM installed to make it Win 11 future proof…easier and cheaper to do now than trying to source it after. I’m still having a very hard time trying to find TPMs for 2 machines, this is not a fun activity and I am launching another complaint to MS about this change to requirements.

4 Likes

Strangely enough, Windows 11 will reportedly run on a Raspberry Pi.

An 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 will set you back $123.00, plus $6.00 delivery. A case would probably be a good idea as well. To set up the operating system for the Pi, a functioning computer (preferably running Windows) is required. You’ll need a monitor, keyboard and mouse for the Pi too. Of course, it’s not for the faint of heart.
https://www.worproject.ml/guides/how-to-install/from-windows
1 Like

Will MS officially say that Win11 IOT exists? Or is this really just Win10 IOT?

No. It’s very much a hack.

If anyone’s interested, the latest releases are:-
Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.21390.2025 (co_release) arm64
and
Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 (co_release) arm64

1 Like

But Windows IoT core edition is a variant operating system in the Windows family. Designed to run on mobile and embeded systems typically using very different hardware to the X64 architecture on laptops, desktops and servers.
The hardware requirements will thus be very different.

1 Like

Something has changed in our PC in relation to the tool bar.

Yesterday the toolbar started to display an icon for every word document as well as names beside each icon as per this screenshot.

The toolbar backgroung colour had also changed to a sickly pale colour but I have fived that.

I don’t know whether the Windows Updates it installed yesterday caused the changes but our laptop has not changed.

The updates are KB5004945 and Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.1081.

Has anyone else experienced this or can advise how to restore the toolbar?

The main thing rolled out was a fix for the PrintNightmare security exploit, as far as I know.
But, as with all Win10 updates, I burn some incense, say a prayer to my Maneki cat god, and reboot at least twice, and hope that whatever tweaks are done to the desktop go away.

2 Likes

Type “Taskbar” in the search box in your taskbar, and select Taskbar Settings. This will include an option to “Combine taskbar buttons”, which you presumably prefer to say “Always Hide Labels”. There are quite a few other options that you may wish to play with while you are in there.

3 Likes

I set it to "Always Hide Labels’ and it is back to normal.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Many of us have fond memories of PC software coming on tens of floppies. Fast forward to the Japanese W11 release in 2021 - This satire is priceless.

6 Likes

Nicely worked out that that number of 1.4M floppies would fit onto one layer on one side of a DVD.
How tech has changed over the years.

1 Like

And if you had to use so many 3½s, Windows 11 would be guaranteed to be a floppy.

What is a DVD again? :rofl:

It’s a disk. It’s shiny on one side. Hang one in the garden and reflections from the shiny side will scare away (some) birds. For a while.

For the courageous:

1 Like

A better drinks coaster than one of these. Whoa, 80 KB

3 Likes

I remember Quake (shareware version) came on dozens of them! I think it was over 30 in total.

I guess this isn’t supported then - I’ll leave it on the museum shelf in the lounge …

3 Likes

Looks like an original millennium falcon hyperdrive unit. Junk it. Never works when needed. :rofl: