Windows 10 and now Windows 11

Or did it?

3 Likes

I did the fresh reinstall a few months back and have been updating since. I just didn’t try the controller until recently. Thanks for the tip though, I’ll make sure to do that.

2 Likes

It is possibly moving the way of Apple/Google where updates are pushed out. While not technically a whole new version, it is a major step up in an update and could be called Boston cheesecake version or something else.

1 Like

Maybe. Win11? The current version 21H1 doesn’t sound too impressive.

Sounds about as attractive as H1N1.

Is this a new type of computer virus?
Or should we just stick to calling the product Windows version 1,2,3 

10,11 etc. It looks more like progress.

The computer commentators are frothing at the mouth, running around like headless chooks, spouting predictions.
June 24 is the date we learn of the new Windows.
Is it to be Windows 11?
Could it be some other name, like Vista, or perhaps based on the year, like Win95, Win98 so this could be Win21.
Or perhaps like Windows ME, to celebrate the new millenium.
Maybe it could be Windows PE, to celebrate Pandemic Edition.

1 Like

Microsoft have further added some fuel to the change fire with this item

In the document it indicates an end date of Updates in 2025

“ Important
Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel until October 14, 2025.”

As well they post the same date as the Retirement date of both Home and Pro of Win 10.

So it looks very likely that there will be a new Windows released.

2 Likes

That’s OK. No need to rush or get too excited.
I’ve got till 2023 to find a replacement for my 2014 model Laptop and Windows 8.1. Fortunately the built in battery is still healthy. Since the OEM did not support Win 10 with an update for the proprietary bios and select drivers it will be an interesting step change. Plenty of time to take on board.

Is it worth asking how many Windows based laptops and PC’s these days might suffer a similar fate? While 3 years might be a long time on a business replacement cycle, for many of us less demanding older home users good tech can last longer. Should the advice to consumers over the next few years be wary of any new Windows based hardware that may not receive OEM updates to suit a Windows 10 plus one future?

1 Like

Win 7, 8, & 8.1 drivers can easily be used in Win 10 if there are no newer Win 10 drivers.

4 Likes

One of my machines has just gone through a Windows 10 update. The result was agonising. The default after the restart was to turn on every fancified display and rendering option it had.

Every screen refresh faaaaaded iiiin annnnnd ouuuut veeeerrry sloooowly, every mouse click took 5 seconds to take effect. A reasonably quick machine was brought to its knees. It took me half an hour to hunt down and kill all these cutesy wootsey cosmetic changes.

I am so tired of having to check after every update to see what harm has been done. No I did not click through the initial config screens and accept all the defaults TTBOMK I wasn’t given any option about these “improvements”.

Possible for most, although the Windows compatibility tool says not.

For full system requirements, see Windows 10 specifications. Some driver updates may be required for Windows 10.

Sony announced just before they gave up on the laptop business, they would not be providing driver updates for some products.The most significant issue is the proprietary version of the Radeon laptop graphics driver. Also tied into the power management and graphics switching options in the bios. Not an Intel issue. Also unable to accept AMD updates. The Sony bios rejects all. Not unique to Sony, I recollect HP had similar issues with some of their products.

There was a clear warning on the Sony web site that listed which of their models could not be upgraded to Win10. BSoD being the result if one tried. Simpler to leave as is and have a working Laptop.
https://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/support/win10/en/windows10_7.html

It is not a problem to solve. Just an observation, and reason to leave as is.

1 Like

When updating in future the above link may give you a faster way of doing the job.

Winaero also has a useful tweaker tool that can alter lots of settings (link is mirror download)

https://winaerotweaker.com/

1 Like

When the last update, 21H1, rolled out overnight onto my laptop it was very insistent that I adopt Edge. That I change my default browser to Edge. Had a copy lurking around in the toolbar, and setup up some useless push information services in the toolbar.
Took me a while to disable these things and get back to normal again.

2 Likes

I thought 10 was supposed to be the last version.

• release event scheduled for 24 June (US time, presumably);
  • possible free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, small fee from Windows 10;
  • Windows 10 support ending in 2025
2 Likes

If they are going to provide free upgrades for older unsupported versions but charge a fee for the current version, then users might just as well wait until Windows 10 becomes unsupported in 2025 and probably get a free upgrade.

And officially it is and we will know more on the 24th June.

There is speculation that the next major (twice yearly) Windows 10 update will be called Windows 11
but this hasn’t been confirmed by Microsoft. There are reports which indicate it will only be a major Windows 10 update only. Similar rumours has occurred with past major updates as well
which were proven to be hype and overdriven speculation.

Who is right
will know more on the 24th.

2 Likes

A leaked Win 11 screenshot

MS have sent Google a cease and desist on showing these types of images but this is from a reliable Twitter source.

Note the start button is now sort of centre but moves based on number of apps open in the tray.

Rounded corners on boxes much like the Win 10X version.

1 Like

If one wants to watch to see what it is, it can be seen here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/event

1 Like

This sounds like the first change I’ll be undoing in the settings :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes