Wifi mobile broadband with optus automatically connects to svod

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I didn’t install that site you suggested, but I did do the Crl-Alt-Del thing when I was online using my laptop as it is still behaving like I’m connecting too Netflix and I could not find any mention off Netflix at all anywhere.
I also used my Tablet and I do know that Netflix ans never been downloaded on it as I bought it without Netflix being on it it and have deleted anything I didn’t want on it. I do have ABCiView on it but it is the free app. The modem is still connecting to Netflix and ABC on that as well.
So I am out off pocket $54 no way to get a refund because Coles will send me to Optus who don’t want to know. Optus did give me 6GB that expires on 10 June, but that wasn’t’ the point off my calling the Ombudsman in the first place, they seem to be ignoring the problem and hoping I’ll go away.

2 Likes

This is pretty unfair: “I got the modem on special so didn’t pay full price, and went into an Optus store too ask them to help me connect it, sorry the guy said you didn’t’ buy it here so we cant help you even though it is an Optus modem, customer service at its worst.”

You went and bought a device at probably half the price Optus sells them for, and then expected Optus to give you service? I’ve bought 3G modems for half price from Officeworks, but I’d never consider asking Optus to help me use one. If you want Optus to assist you, buy one at full price from Optus.

I’ve never heard of a cellular modem which contacts video web sites by itself. It’d be like a car driving itself down to the shops. Yes, it’s possible, but the usual mode of operation is that somebody has to tell it to do that. With a 3G/4G modem, that instruction comes from some device connected to it, usually via a browser or app. There are really only two possibilities: Either there’s something installed on one of your devices that is visiting those sites or you’ve set it up insecurely and someone else is using your wifi to visit those sites.

I’ve not used that particular model, but generally they have a setup/config screen that will tell you which devices are attached and using the network and the amount of bandwidth being used (and usually which sites are being accessed), so it’s possible to use that to narrow down which device(s) are connected and doing the streaming.

1 Like

The fact that Coles chose to make the item a special doesn’t make it any less offensive that Optus won’t assist with it. What if it hadn’t been a “Special” and they paid full price? Optus and other telcos receive money from these agents who on-sell the products for them eg Woolworths, This way Optus and others benefit to a larger degree from more sales and the on-going recharges (in most cases), and helps them sell in areas they do not have a Store front.

The telcos Optus, Telstra, Vodaphone and similar recharges can be bought from agents and they do sometimes have them on special. Are the telcos exempt from assisting with that recharge because it was on special. I don’t think so.

You are right in that most modems do not in themselves have the software installed that contacts various online services. But they do have software for you to install that sets them up, installs drivers and apps and icons. These can easily contain the SVOD software links and may in fact be a source of those. It is even used as a selling point that these services are sometimes limit free eg Facebook, Telstra’s offer of free to watch AFL, Netball, & NRL when you use at least a $30 recharge every month.

1 Like

Another possibility is that other vaguely similar services you may use (down to ‘just anything streaming’ by similar packet traffic profile) could be lumped together under an SVOD line item in the Optus bill. Laziness from whoever coded the invoice line items. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Bingo! I just don’t see somebody’s preferred connections encoded in the modem firmware. However, added to a package installation script I can see happening.

With some hardware and software purchases you also get shovelware (usually on a CD/DVD installation of supporting software) if you casually click on the default installation you will get all manner of things installed and configured your machine and you may not realise what has been done to you.

2 Likes

Yes you are right regarding software, but I have an update on this situation.

You are NOT going to believe this but the modem I was talking about, stopped working altogether, I used it last Thursday morning and the battery ran down, I charged it up, and tried to use it that night and even though the battery was fully charged the WiFi side just refused too light up and when it did it would only stay on for 30 seconds and then stop. The button lights would not work either which means it wasn’t turning on properly.

I went back to Optus as Coles tell you too and Optus said take it back to Coles and I got a refund. The only modems that Coles had were the same ones that I had the problem with so I declined a replacement.

Thank yo u for trying to help with all your suggestions though I appreciate it and I certainly hope no one else goes through the situation on I have over the last few weeks.

3 Likes