When there are no emergency communications

It’s really just a discussion, I was hoping to encourage Choice to do a review of appropriate radios. I want to buy a couple for our house so that my wife and I can each have one in case we get separated as often happens in emergencies.

2 Likes

There are quite a few radios available that can use alternative power. Wind up, and solar.
A search on radios with those two terms give plenty of reviews and where to get them.
You can get almost anything on Amazon and Ebay, but camping stores too.

2 Likes

It pays to check which bands they can receive and look at which bands your local broadcast services use.

Useful for finding what coverage you may have.

EG for Alpha and Jericho in Central Qld.
Note the reach of the AM broadcasts from Emerald and Longreach, compared with the very local FM re-transmission towers.

P.S.
Some useful tips on improving reception for your crystal set or AM radio. High tech from across the ditch. Possibly not so necessary in NZ?

1 Like

How did you go with that @SueW?

Did you mean two way as well?

Never followed up on it, other issues (health related) occupied my time… maybe before next year’s fires, since this years did not eventuate.

No, just ordinary radios. I’m thinking perhaps my wife might evacuate and I stay to stop embers in the roof so we can both listen to emergency services broadcasts.

3 Likes

ICE this is what we use.
Made in China like all our everyday needs, and with the very best of Japanese technology. Yes, it’s mono, but so are standard AM broadcasts.

A set of standard alkaline batteries is more than enough for a day of continuous running. It also works fine on rechargable Eneloop batteries, although they might not get through a full day of continuous listening.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, very helpful. That’s the sort of thing. Definitely don’t need stereo in fact that would chew put batteries quicker I’d imaging.
Regarding batteries, yes I know alkaline batteries are good. The issue with batteries is that one tends to forget about them, then when you need them in an emergency, they are flat. Apparently lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries have a shelf life of up to 20 years. They are expensive but I’m thinking if one replaced them every, say 5-10 years, that should give a good safety margin. One could label them with the year of replacement as a reminder.
I do photography and use a lot of rechargeable batteries, primarily Powerex, Imedion, Eneloop and Eneloop Pro. They are great for photography but they don’t hold as much charge nor for as long. The best of my rechargeable is the Powerex which holds just 2,600 mAh. Compare this with the non-rechargeable Energizer Lithium which holds 3,500 mAh. In terms of longevity of charge, rechargeable are pretty poor. The best of them is the Eneloop which looses 30% after 5 years which is not too bad but the last thing one wants to worry about is recharging batteries with an approaching fire and power about to go off. So I think non-rechargeable lithium batteries is the go in this situation.
I’ll check the web for that Panasonic radio.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @BobT, a good idea for a test and review. I’ll pass this on to our product testers :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve emailed the ABC for advice on which bands would the the best for emergency broadcasts in my area, AM, FM or digital but no reply as yet. There’s no point getting digital if AM/FM is best or vice versa but who knows and it varies from area to area.

1 Like

Generally DAB (digital) coverage is restricted/common only in the larger urban areas.

The ABC has a website that will locate your nearest ABC stations.

There are also lists available from some of the State Emergency Services as to which stations broadcast emergency messages. The ABC is not the only option for many. EG Victoria.

We rely firstly on the local ABC FM station, as well as the more distant AM regional broadcast station. The ABC also rebroadcasts on many low powered regional FM stations.

Away from the big smoke the only ABC coverage may be on AM.

1 Like

I have an Eton Scorpion II green (got it after big SA blackout a few years back).
The little solar panel keeps it at about 2/3rd’s charged with it sitting on a nth facing window all day … the hand crank I hope is never necessary as a charging method :slight_smile:!
I do top it up from time to time via USB.
I live in city so I figure its a more than adequate stop gap (built in torch has been useful on occasions too).

1 Like

Another aspect people forget is the elderly and possibly the disabled; when there is a blackout for hours and the NBN goes down. How do they contact emergency services? There are lots of elderly who don’t have mobile phones; can or want to use a mobile phone.

1 Like

This is true. I have a friend who is only a couple of years older than me, we are both now classified as elderly. She has a mobile phone but refuses to keep it charged or on, thus necessitating recharge whenever she wants to go out because thats the only time she uses it, just in case she gets into strife in the car. It will be be a bit sad if she’s stuck in her home, unable to use the car, and unable to use her phone because she didnt put it on the charger. She cannot be convinced, and she, along with a 92 year old cousin who refuses a mobile phone, is the last of the luddites.

2 Likes

Has Choice ever tested ‘emergency’ battery operated radios for use in emergencies out in the sticks? I know there are radios on the market but I am vary that they actually pick up AM signals (ABC) to keep us informed in emergencies. Cheers

1 Like

A google search of long distance AM radios will give plenty of reviews.
I use a Sangean AM/FM radio when out in the sticks. I can pick up both Melbourne and Tasmanian AM stations when camping down at Wilsons Prom. That’s over 200km.

1 Like

Hi @Gregr, thanks for the good info. I see that the Sangean radios are available from the Good Guys, which model do you have?

I have a PR-DL3. It is quite old now, and similar types now include DAB+ in addition to AM/FM. Like the DPR-45.
They really do have great ability to tune in to AM from afar with their tuning dial to get the reception just right.

What sort of aerial do you need for this?