What is the best/worst thing you ever bought from IKEA?

We own IKEA items that are heavily used and have been going for years and years without showing any signs of weakness, e.g. IVAR shelves, garlic press, colander, glassware, 365 cooking pots, coat hangers, pillows, bedding and manchester. We also have a bunch of Billy shelves that have been doing a good job for many years. I particularly love the Magnarp floor lamp – it creates such nice ambience.

IKEA is also my #1 go-to source for paper napkins, candles and sometimes fabrics.

My worst ever purchase was this plastic ivy imitation thingy that I thought would look good around a mirror. It was an idiotic decision to buy that, and I ended up donating it to an op-shop.

Living close by, I try to go to IKEA late in the evenings when the families have left. It’s so much quieter and much less crazy zig-zagging involved. For someone who gets easily overstimulated by noise and people that’s the way to go.

5 Likes

I usually love ikea items as they are simple, last a fair time, are stylish and functional.
However I once bought an expensive mattress which they said I can return within 30days if I can’t sleep well on it, which I tried(struggling to transport it back to the store) just to be offered a store credit instead of a refund which wasn’t made clear by the original staff enquiry)

4 Likes

I’ve just remembered that I’m sitting on a Malkolm desk chair at home. It’s the most comfortable and supportive chair I’ve had, and I’ve been through many over the years.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for all your comments! We’ve published an article on this here:

Ikea: best buys and what to avoid

4 Likes

It could have been dodgy measuring and they got it wrong, but right :rofl:

1 Like

On other fronts,

Flat-pack juggernaut Ikea is embracing the circular economy with a new national furniture buy-back scheme.

The buy-back service allows customers to return their old Ikea furniture in exchange for a gift voucher, the Swedish behemoth announced on Monday.

Returned products will be sold to a new owner and saved from landfill, Ikea said.

3 Likes

We’ve updated our article on Ikea best/worst buys:

3 Likes