Ways to be Down on NBN

Simple Maths.

EG $3.75M for Duaringa, Dingo, and Bluff, with just 200 premises each. 600 in total.
More noted for a bit of beef and lots of coal than pork.
Although at 10acres per head the feral pork probably out numbers the cattle, and you’d hardly notice it in the long grass! :joy:

https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/SSC30296
https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/SSC30852
https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/SSC30889

1 Like

Yeah. I get that. I use streaming services a LOT so I need at least 500GB. I switched to unlimited because I hate getting caught short, and since doing that, I also access the ABC and SBS live streams which saves switching devices.

2 Likes

I knew I should have linked. I was referring to lunatic fringe assertions that FttP is a waste as fibre will soon be superseded.

1 Like

An expert for UK it would seem. As the UK have a smallish land footprint so that 5G might make it largely obsolete that a house well served by 5G towers and an antenna to avoid degraded signals in the house to want or need fibre. That is until the bandwidth becomes very congested and then speeds may plummet and so the public will become frustrated and then rightly so they will want fibre to the premises.

But the fibre rollout will almost necessarily track right past their house so they can enjoy 5G services that rely on Fibre, which the gentleman seems to point out isn’t required but it is.

1 Like

But, but … nobody’s ever going to need more than 12 Mb/s. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Even the workers are down on the NBN, it seems:

4 Likes

Note that they’re all upgrading to FttP. Sort of like acknowledging that nothing less does the job, without actually saying so.
https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/sweet-16-projects-enhancing-regional-connectivity

2 Likes

Shock and Horror in that even Telstra and Optus don’t like NBN Co’s booking system…

From the article

"On Thursday, the firm issued an apology to “customers whose technician appointment has been delayed or cancelled in recent weeks”.

“Due to unexpected challenges with a new workforce scheduling program, it may take longer than usual to get an appointment, regardless of the internet provider you choose,” NBN Co said in a statement posted on Twitter.

But the apology did little to to quell growing anger from retail service providers (RSPs) at the firm’s handling of the issue, with fears it will result in reputational and financial damage as customers direct their frustration at telcos rather than the NBN Co.

Under current regulations NBN Co is required to pay compensation for missed and cancelled appointments.

However, telcos told The New Daily the firm is not being held sufficiently accountable for the delays as the booking system is preventing many appointments being made altogether."

4 Likes

How to manage when customer service is a problem? Sack more staff! Five minutes each - ahhh… the personal touch!

Meanwhile:

4 Likes

NBN is %100 Government organisation. Public service. Monopoly.
Keep that in mind.

Having been a public servant for a few years the problem is not the public service per se, or even government companies, it is the politicians who are supposed to oversee it with good governance, and allow it to function without fear or favour, blah blah. As most of us accept, it has been politicised and stacked with the right people to do the job, as those fine pollies see it. All puns intended.

While the bonuses are a very bad look on the surface, it is sometimes the case that an organisation could be floundering but some executives and managers are a doing great jobs and actually deserving of their bonuses. It falls apart when the CEO and core executives who are responsible for hands on policy/decision making (and thus the company) receive significant bonuses while the company is not performing.

edit: I always enjoyed this one re responsibility. Unfortunately it seems never to apply to pollies or members of the ‘old boys clubs’ who sit on some boards. Sometimes it hits the fan for them, but not often.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/steve-jobs-on-the-difference-between-a-vice-president-and-a-janitor-2011-5?r=US&IR=T

3 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing. :upside_down_face: As I see it, the greatest shortcoming of NBN Co (after political treachery) is its corporate structure. Experience teaches that, when a public service provider is restructured from a commission to a corporation, service delivery degenerates. Why that’s so, I’ve never figured out.

Some things are just naturally monopolies.

Of course, it depends on what we mean by “efficient”.

If our aim is to maximise return on investment for a select few, then monopolies are bad. The few should be allowed to compete in the most lucrative markets without limitations. Of course, that leaves less lucrative markets without service. For a nation, that’s bad for the economy (among other things).

If our aim is to optimise access to services and broadly support the economy, then monopolies are sometimes inevitable. Experience teaches that, if we’re stuck with a monopoly, then a public sector monopoly is less undesirable than a private sector one.

Roads, sewerage, electricity reticulation, water supply and telecommunications are all natural monopolies. History shows that even mobile telecommunications works best with a single network.

So yes, the NBN is a public sector monopoly. If it were not, then we’d all be (even) worse off. In fact, the NBN should be joined by all other telecommunications infrastructure in public ownership.

3 Likes

Votes of confidence in NBN satellite. :smirk:

2 Likes

“Under current regulations NBN Co is required to pay compensation for missed and cancelled appointments.”
Telstra said nothing of this when NBN didn’t show up yesterday. Who is compensated and how? It took an hour to convince the chat person my modem can’t use 4G backup when there isn’t a signal.

NBN pays Telstra who is supposed to pass it on. Note this is only the most current draft and it has been milling about for more than a year… (is there a newer one I missed?)

and this dated article reinforces the arrogance with which NBN takes their relationship - it is not as if internet and VOIP service matter in 2021, eh?

4 Likes

As @PhilT notes Telstra receives the compensation. The difficulty then becomes who then gets paid. If the nbn™ connection is to supply your phone connection as well as internet then the person getting the connection may be entitled to compensation but only after certain time limits have expired. This compensation method is called the Customer Service Guarantee (CSG).

Telstra and any other ISP are entitled to compensation for failed deadlines but these payments are not required to be passed on to customers. There is an expectation but as the following excerpt from an older article notes it isn’t a certainty (NBN Co to offer compensation for missed appointments | Computerworld).

"The measures include a $25 rebate to RSPs for every late connection and fault rectification (up from an existing threshold where NBN Co commits to rebates if it fails to achieve a 90 per cent threshold), a $25 rebate for missed appointments, and making it easier for RSPs to receive rebates. The $25 rebates will be automatically paid to RSPs.

“Under the undertaking given to the ACCC, NBN Co will require the RSPs to continue to take reasonable steps to ensure customers receive a benefit from the improved rebates the service providers will receive from NBN Co,” ACCC chairperson Rod Sims said.

“This could mean customers could receive rebates from RSPs or other benefits, such as providing a substitute service while a fault is being fixed.” "

The undertaking was for the prior WBA3 and can be found at

The current Wholesale Broadband Agreement 4 (WBA4) can be found at Wholesale Broadband Agreement | nbn For the current WBA4 again there is only one payment for missed appointments and is currently $25 and again is paid to the RSP, with no real obligation placed on the RSP to forward that payment or part thereof to the affected end user (see page 6 & 7 of the following linked pdf)

2 Likes

Thanks. To be fair Telstra needed to make another appointment. However their appalling “service” is inexcusably time wasting. I won’t waste more hours trying to get a refund.

1 Like

Aussiebroadband has been pretty good to excellent…their call centre support mostly know how to help and do. They have an app with the ability to run diagnostics on the connection and lodge faults. Also lots of user help information on their web site…

2 Likes

It isn’t Telstra, it is NBN Co who are the ones who do the install, Telstra are just who you book through. Telstra have no control over when NBN actually send the contractors.

1 Like

Yes, NBN is responsible for the switch to NBN appointment, Telstra is responsible for their app texting “service” where it would help if what you write was considered. Over an hour to get across I don’t have 4G reception here so the modem will not run off it.

2 Likes