Washing machine cycle times

I have been complaining about this issue with Choice for 10 years, with no effort to look at it. Why hasn’t there been an survey of members to find out what Cycle time they choose on their washing machines? There is no point in giving a review on a cycle that no one uses. Bad science!

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. 3 hours is ludicrous. Our Fisher Paykel FRONT loader has a 30 minute wash cycle which we use for everyday use. Yes, there are longer speciality cycles, but if a machine rated by Choice cannot do a 30 minute everyday cycle it should definitely loose points.

4 Likes

Brendan, it’s simply not true that the cycle has to be 1 to 3 hours. There are plenty of machines that have shorter cycles. Those are the ones members want to be tested. Remember, with kids you can three or four loads of laundry on many days.

2 Likes

We appreciate hearing which cycles everyone is using and the experiences you are having with front loaders, including whether your machine moves around or creates a lot of noise.

@diana In answer to your question, we do survey members about the washing cycles they use among other things. This guides our current test methodology, along with the expertise of our product testing team. You can sign up to complete surveys for us at Voice Your CHOICE.

We explain this in more detail in our ‘How we test’ article on washing machines.

Test program selection
Over the years we’ve received many member responses to our product use surveys, which ask about what programs you use. Because of your feedback, CHOICE uses a set of testing criteria that generally involves a normal, cold wash. When this doesn’t exist on a machine, we use the closest approximation to a normal, cold wash.

@alanbirrell my apologies for any confusion I may have caused and thanks for offering us some feedback. My above comment is referring to our testing regime, which uses the ‘normal cold wash’ cycle. We do this this so that we can compare each machine fairly and minimise the amount of variables. We then then factor in real-world responses from members to help shape our results.

The need to create an accurate lab environment doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate people’s feelings about long wash cycles, it’s why we awarded Samsung a Shonky in 2017.

5 Likes

It’s amazing how noise travels in older blocks of units so doing an overnight wash may not be an option.

4 Likes

I can relate. My frontloader Hoover has 15 cycles - only 3 of which are less than an hour (and 2 of those are 59mins). I use the 14min cycle for most loads

4 Likes

My 13 year old Samsung FL died a few months ago and I bought a Choice recommended Bosch FL from Appliances Online as it could be delivered, installed and the old machine taken away within a few days. The Samsung had a mixed wash cycle of 1 hour and 40 minutes.
On taking delivery of the Bosch I was horrified to read the manual and discover that the mixed wash setting for an 8 kilo load would take over 3 hours.
I noticed that I could choose a 1 hour cycle, however this was supposed to be for loads of no more than 3.5 kg. I decided to give it a try with a full load anyway, even though the machine is supposed to sense the weight and “dirtyness” of the clothes and adjust accordingly. I fully expected that the machine would extend the wash time, but I am relieved that it does not. The full load is washed in an hour, comes out clean and thanks to the 1200 spin speed, almost dry.
I am really happy with the Bosch, but if I had read the manual before buying it (as I would have if I had gone into a bricks and mortar store) I would not have bought it.

So perhaps Choice could note the normal cycle times of tested machines, but also test if there is a shorter cycle that washes just as well.

On a side note, I wonder how much the extra cost of electricity for the longer cycles offsets the saving in water use?

4 Likes

Thanks for the considerations @sue_purrb, I’ll make sure to pass on your comments to our product testers.

2 Likes

I have a Samsung Front Loader - EcoBubble 8.0kg and have a number of choices for my wash cycle. I can choose, 15, 20, 30 or 45 minutes for a “Quick Wash” or the usual 1 hour 30 minutes for the Regular wash, longer for a Super wash.

Having owned this machine for 4 years now, I have learned that my clothes clean very well on the 30 minute “Quick Wash” cycle, and always produce lovely clean clothes (my husband is a builder, so clothes get VERY dirty)

I have saved an enormous amount of money for water using this wonderful Samsung Top Loader, and can not sing its praises high enough. Hubby’s clean clothes do the talking!

1 Like

I’m confused :wink:

2 Likes

Well we’ve had an Asko FL which we bought in 1992. that’s 27 years ago and it’s still working beautifully. Only maintenance has been the LED showing the power is on, and the cold water inlet valve, both items which I replaced myself. We’ve never had any problems with it bouncing around the floor, It washes beautifully and gently and takes under an hour. Water levels and spin speeds adjustable. One day it will die. Hope we can find another as effective and efficient

3 Likes

Have had 2 Bosch front loaders and they have a normal cycle time of 53 mins with other options down to 15 mins and up to 1hr 30mins. My son has an LG that takes forever but has an option of a cotton quick cycle and a shorter cycle again, but it doesn’t tell you what the cycle times are like the Bosch does which is annoying.It does have another advantage though - both Bosch machines go mouldy in the rubber seal area because water collects there at the end of the cycle, the LG seal doesn’t.

3 Likes

My wife always leaves the door open after using our Bosch front loader until the next wash so as to allow any water to evaporate.

It is now 4 years old and no problems apart from a corroding front panel which Bosch replaced underwarranty.

Great machine.

4 Likes

Yes I leave the door open and most times wipe it out but still gets mould, maybe a different model?

4 Likes

When you go shopping, a data point to consider as manufacturing has evolved. We bought an Asko FL in 2002 ‘designed for 20 years life’. At 12 years the controller board gave it up. Zero spares at Asko, zero spares at parts warehouses, zero spares everywhere. Akso suggested trying used appliance shops in case one had a ‘retired’ machine for parts available. We bought an LG Choice recommendation and are very happy with it. Spares matter and one probability is the higher the volume sold the more spares are in the field so if and when it breaks it can be fixed not sent to the tip or used to cannibalise parts for others.

4 Likes

This might be elementary for you and you are way past it, but some of the tips to mitigate mold might be useful.

5 Likes

I have to agree. I have had my 7kg LG Direct Drive for nearly 10 years & apart from an occasional problem with program selection on the main dial (it appears to be response to humidity), it hasn’t missed a beat. I prefer using a low spin - let the sun do the drying - and have never had a vibration problem.

4 Likes

Our washer is an Electrolux EW1055F FL that is now around 12 years old. It has never required repair. A cold water quick Cottons cycle is one hour exactly. For a really dirty load, eg heavily soiled clothes after major gardening tasks, the regular Cottons cycle is around 2 hours. Maximum spin speed is 1000 rpm. We also use the Synthetics and Delicates cycles, and these are of even shorter duration. We’ve been very happy with this machine, and will be sad when it eventually dies.

5 Likes

I have a 7kg Electrolux front loader that I bought reconditioned about 6 years ago and it has been fine. The shortest time which is the delicates setting takes around one hour. Heavy duty washes, sheets, towels etc takes around two hours. I tend to run the machine at night then hang out the next morning. I do keep the door open after washes to dry the machine out. Hasn’t missed a beat yet.

3 Likes

Thanks, will try the vinegar, can’t use bleach as have a Taylex septic

3 Likes