Vanishing receipts: receipts printed on thermal paper

1. How does one check the scanned prices while still in store?

To wit over the last two weeks we received $25 in refunds for items that scanned at incorrect prices. Without a receipt in hand or immediately on the phone one cannot verify what was charged.

3 Likes

Yes, it is opt in, and one has the ability to also opt out if they find it doesn’t suit them. I suspect those with smartphones or run a business will like the ability to have eReceipts rather than processing paper receipts. Likewise bookkeepers.

Some other stores (Bunnings is one that comes to mind) also provides the option to have receipts send electronically, via text message.

In our own business we use Squareup console and our particular console doesn’t afford the opportunity to print receipts. It however provides the option for emailed or SMS receipts. If a guest wishes to have a receipt, we print a Tax Invoice from a PC.

This will only be a potential issue if one shops without their smart phone. I wonder how many leave their phones at home when shopping. If one has the phone, then they will be able to easily show proof of purchase.

In some respects is it no different to not taking a receipt (which may consumers don’t do and many checkout kiosks now have the ability not to issue a receipt if selected at payment - cash register staff also ask if one wants a receipt) or lose the receipt and continue shopping.

2 Likes

Relying on The Phone covers the vast majority of cases, but for any technology (or law or rule) it should account for all cases. Not that they always do.

Whether having one’s phone is The Answer can depend on the time it takes to receive the ereceipt. It could be seconds, or minutes, or delayed since there are no enforceable service levels on SMS I am aware of, and some SMS are only a link to the receipt so it is a 2-step process of receiving the SMS and then ‘clicking’ to a web site that shows the receipt.

I usually get SMS in seconds, but sometimes they come many minutes later. In the last week I had a security code verification step time out before I received the code - it got confusing as I asked for resends and then all of the different codes started arriving, did any get lost? were they all delayed? are they in order? which was the current one to use since only the code in the last resend is valid? but that is another topic.

As for Woolies, ereceipts go into the rewards app very quickly that would be a solution for those so inclined. It seems as if someone thought about it for going digital, at least for their rewards members.

Regardless, assume you just used the self checkout and were headed for the door (Bunnings, Woolies, etc) when you were stopped for suspicious behaviour. Your ereceipt link has not arrived and your data got used up and you need to top it up right now, or you are not in service.

In my area it is common to watch apps and web sites displaying those cute little spinning ‘working on its’ for a l.o.n.g time as the backend is not up to expectations and the service bounces between none, HSDPA, 3G, and 4G every few seconds.

What happens next? Do they take your name? Do you walk? (no need to answer as it is a figurative question germane to the moment.) Therein lies that pesky outlier situation that won’t ever happen, until it does. What about the ‘door greeter’ aka ‘the person who verifies receipts’ on your way out at some shops and now want to check your ereceipt on your phone? Time and embarrassment? Privacy matters.

My take is there will be many changes and accommodation required as ereceipts are increasingly rolled out, but many of those changes will not be thought about until a few costly ‘situations’ arise with customers.

3 Likes