Unnecessary information when booking a ticket - being set up for identity theft?

I do this with a password protected file on my computer.

1 Like

I have contacted Intix and had a very similar response. As the email “support” continued the “support” got more and more insulting and derogatory. Quote from “support” email “I’m assuming you have no social media or LinkedIn accounts which publicly display your date of birth and a profile picture that you identify as female? You must have no bank accounts or online accounts with any government agency either. Given the requirements of most companies in 2023 you must have this conversation a lot?”

btw, I have several different social media accounts but have no selfies and none display my DOB.

I did not even go the full route and pay. I also got emails asking “did you forget your MIFGS tickets”
and even one " How would you rate the support you received?" which I didn’t even bother wasting my time with.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s how I would store that sort of information. Most password managers do have the option to store extra information for each site, including file attachments. I use the latter for photos or screenshots of detailed information that’d be a pain to enter item by item - eg, the model+serial number information sticker on the underside (or some other awkward location) of a device, or a screenshot of a 12-word encryption key for a phone’s backup app.

4 Likes

I agree but, unfortunately, governments world wide require this type of information. One reason is to stop money laundering by buying goods which then pays an illicit organisation legal tender derived from the events they invested in. Just a thought for you.

1 Like

Usually you will now find that tickets bought on the day, at the venue have a lower price as they do not attract the middle-man, rent seeking charges that have been added into the process. Often this is a considerable sum.

1 Like

I can understand that with large amounts of money 
 but the cost of a entry ticket??

Surely a ticket company would not sell 10,000 tickets to one person.

1 Like

"“these are questions required by the government to translate demographics to the event”
There is no such requirement, of course.

1 Like

Unless the tickets cost $10,000 or more, that seems unlikely to me.

1 Like

Yes they do and it’s money laundering but I already said that. The UNHCR universal declaration of human rights doesn’t ban or curtail governments doing this. Freedom of speech is but retaining information is not.

1 Like

Retaining of information (and its use/abuse) wasn’t even on the horizon when the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was declared.

Or maybe it was.

Article 12.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

(my emphasis)

For sure though, the possibilities today are much worse than when the UN DoHR was put together. Surveillance is absolutely rampant.

1 Like

So right :heart_eyes:

Money laundering is very sneaky. There have been legal cases where people have bought 100 tickets using different people & had an inside person who pocketed the money and washed 100*100 ~$10,000. Do this a few times & it adds up.

But I get your privacy issue and stopping illegal activities shouldn’t impact on your privacy but I don’t agree so we can shake hands and agree to disagree

1 Like

This looks a bit speculative to me.

Can you name any government that requires identification of purchasers buying entertainment tickets?

Regardless of identification rules in the country, do you know of any case where tickets have been used for money laundering?

2 Likes

Real estate and concert tickets: More than 400 money laundering

11/4/2022, 6:50:20 pm

Right-wing extremists launder money when buying real estate, but also when trading in concert tickets and memorabilia. More than 400 suspected cases have been counted since 2017.

1 Like

Has there been a case proven in court in Australia ?

Thanks for that. Anything on governments requiring ID for tickets?

I question staff particularly at pharmacists and other places who ask for phone number, email address etc about how the information is being managed. You usually get a blank look or get told, “it’s our policy” or “our process”, to which I used to respond that my process is not to share that information.

Now I have an old phone with a SIM from the supermarket that I can top up for my phone number and a gmail email address I check once a month or so. I dislike all the SMS marketing to my phone and this eliminates any new ones since I started doing this. Yes it’s an expense but my priviacy has value.

One recent process I saw online is a godsend, make a rule in email to send all mail containing the word “unsubscribe” to a Newsletter Folder or some other made up folder on your system. I reduced my email intray clutter by over 90% immediately.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I am sick of setting up accounts to purchase tickets. And other products. Some ticket sellers and online companies i would rarely order from. Even without putting ID info, it is intrusive. I should just be able to log in as a guest and pay on checkout.

1 Like

I agree , it is very intrusive, and it put’s many people off. Personally I avoid the whole event,

2 Likes