Transparency of Energy Provider Prices

How then do you compare international prices without reducing them to a common currency? Would it make any difference to rate power prices in Oz in the international context if they were reported in $AU instead of $US?

That is hardly surprising as they are entirely different statistics.

If you want to pursue the idea that power in this country is excessively expensive you need to compare like with like. Where did you get figures for “the World’s highest electricity rates.”? Some figure devised by AGL may be useful for deciding whether to buy from them at a given place and time and with a given usage pattern but that doesn’t help us much look at the broader picture.

Comparing the prices requires a common denominator/point of reference and I allowed for that. A more realistic reference point could be something akin to the ratio of power costs to the median wage or how many hours an average wage earner needs to work for 1000 kWh or whatever unit.

By all means show us, it would be very interesting.

{Edit} Are you talking about Purchasing power exchange rates, as that is what is used according to the linked blurb.

That makes more sense. Prior to relocating to Australia my income was in $USD and the xrate was about $AUD1 = $USD0.50. Everything was so cheap when I came here for a few weeks.

After migrating and my income being in $AUD it became quite expensive.

I am a South Australian customer of EnergyAustralia and received notification of my about-to-change energy prices, as from 1 September, today. From the email:
“Electricity.
Your electricity bills should increase from 1 September 2022.
What does this mean for the cost of my bill?
For an average household in your area, we estimate this would result in an increase of approximately $317.09 (incl. GST) over the year.* What you’ll pay depends on how much electricity you actually use.
How do these new rates compare to the Default Market Offer?
These rates are 3% above the reference price. The estimated annual price is $2,275 (incl. GST). This is based on an average residential customer using 6,000 kWh on a single rate or flat tariff in the SA Power Networks area. What you’ll pay depends on how much electricity you use.
Why are my electricity bills increasing?
The cost of supplying electricity to our customers has increased significantly, largely due to sharp increases in the wholesale costs to buy electricity.”

(Followed by an active link “See your new rates”.)

The link is specific to my contract. The “3% above reference rate” comments are not, and are of no use in guiding me to my next year’s likely energy cost.
Using my own records I find the following changes (all prices including GST):
Supply: $0.9941 per day (up 12.27%)
Energy - instantaneous: $0.409069 per kWh (up 17.48%)
Energy - dedicated circuit: $0.187528 per kWh (up 15.85%)
Feed in Tariff: $0.085 per kWh (no change)

These suggest I should expect an increase in charges of somewhere between 12% and 17%. I do not import 6,000 kWh per year. In 2021 I imported 118 kWh (instantaneous) + 319 kWh (dedicated), and exported 7,314 MWh.

If energy providers can tailor their emails to provide links to my contract (to give me the prices which will apply to my contract), I would appreciate being given comparison comments that also relate to my contract. Not the unhelpful “3% above the reference price” comments. 
 sigh 

2 Likes

(Oops 
 I exported 7.314 MWh 
 7,314 kWh. Sorry about that.)